+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Bad Night for Labour

Re: A Bad Night for Labour

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Oakeshott said on QT that she doesn't think the press should be raking over the past when it comes to the DUP. Either she is tremendously cynical or the irony was seemingly lost on her.
    Well if I am right from your previous posts you don't seem to think Northern Ireland's past seems to matter much as far as Jeremy Corbyn was concerned so the DUP past shouldn't bother you either.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Interesting figures today Mr Non Voter - in terms of Momentum's video campaign , social media strategy. They are doing to social media what Murdoch has been doing to the printed press. They are in the same place as far as that is concerned.
    Interestingly, it is being drummed into our heads to only trust the mainstream media, and to ignore the internet as it's all fake news.

And I bet you Snopes have already "fact checked" those Momentum videos, while certifying everything coming out of CCHQ as being 100% true

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Well if I am right from your previous posts you don't seem to think Northern Ireland's past seems to matter much as far as Jeremy Corbyn was concerned so the DUP past shouldn't bother you either.
    Exactly the point I am making. It doesn't matter to me, only the future and how their extreme views may affect that. I wouldn't have done it to Corbyn and I don't see the point of doing it now. People change, grow up and they also do and say things that they regret.

I understand that you see a right winger and feel that you must leap in front of bus for them but isn't her stance a little hypocritical?

The mail led a divisive campaign that dredged up Corbyn's past involvements. Their rationale was that he might hold power and a deep analysis of his historical views and actions are an important if we are to understand him as a person. The same analysis should be applied to the DUP now they hold the balance of power surely?

The Mail and the right wing of British politics aren't being consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Exactly the point I am making. It doesn't matter to me, only the future and how their extreme views may affect that. I wouldn't have done it to Corbyn and I don't see the point of doing it now. People change, grow up and they also do and say things that they regret.

I understand that you see a right winger and feel that you must leap in front of bus for them but isn't her stance a little hypocritical?

The mail led a divisive campaign that dredged up Corbyn's past involvements. Their rationale was that he might hold power and a deep analysis of his historical views and actions are an important if we are to understand him as a person. The same analysis should be applied to the DUP now they hold the balance of power surely?

The Mail and the right wing of British politics aren't being consistent.
    I don't feel any need to jump under a bus for a right winger at all.

Corbyn was criticised for his dealings with Sinn Fein /IRA at a time when they were committing terrorist acts.

The Government are dealing with a DUP who are a legitimate political party here and in Northern Ireland

The common denominator of all conflicts and wars is you have to start talking to the opposing side at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't think I demonized Daily Mail readers, I demonized the Daily Mail - I think it's a rag, but I know people who read it and I'd hardly call them bigots. Nevertheless, 13 pages of anti Corbyn ranting on the Wednesday before polling day was complete and utter overkill and it would appear that, finally, people are treating it with the contempt it deserves.

At least Corbyn had "one sentence soundbites", that's quite a few words more than our strong and stable leader could manage .

How condescending is that about "young people" - their opinions, no matter how they are formed and what they are, are just as valid as yours and mine.

As for your third point, we're not going to be in a position to know the answer to your question for some time it seems because the Government which was so eager to have an unnecessary election back in April are now too frit (to quote Maggie Thatcher) to have another one.
    Oh come off it, 'condescending' ? Moi ?

Labour themselves have boasted how they got their message across in short, sharp messages on facebook, what'sthingy, etc, and that's when a lot of kids started engaging in the election - the Tories missed a trick, but then again they were completely and utterly inept.
    But back to my original point - the relative successes and failures of the two parties in this election are measured in comparisons with the previous one. The Tories actually increased the number of votes received from 11 million at the last election to 13.7 million this time - that's an increase of 2.7 million people who voted for the Tories this time around who didn't 2 years ago.

My hunch is Corbyn has reached his zenith, May her nadir..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    So let's have another election then, so we can have a government who command a clear majority

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I don't feel any need to jump under a bus for a right winger at all.

Corbyn was criticised for his dealings with Sinn Fein /IRA at a time when they were committing terrorist acts.

The Government are dealing with a DUP who are a legitimate political party here and in Northern Ireland
    Deliberately missing the point again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So let's have another election then, so we can have a government who command a clear majority
    aint we had enough of you for a while

Oh come off it, 'condescending' ? Moi ?

Labour themselves have boasted how they got their message across in short, sharp messages on facebook, what'sthingy, etc, and that's when a lot of kids started engaging in the election - the Tories missed a trick, but then again they were completely and utterly inept.
    But back to my original point - the relative successes and failures of the two parties in this election are measured in comparisons with the previous one. The Tories actually increased the number of votes received from 11 million at the last election to 13.7 million this time - that's an increase of 2.7 million people who voted for the Tories this time around who didn't 2 years ago.

I do agree with some of this post in the sense that people are talking crap when they call it an open goal for labour missed. Tories managed to convinced a massive amount of people to vote for them.

The bizarre thing about the election was that somehow the two main parties got more than 80% of the votes cast despite getting the sense that a lot of the people voting for them didn't really want to. People voting conservative to keep Corbyn away from number 10 and people voting labour with their justification being 'corbyn isn't a leader but...'

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    aint we had enough of you for a while
    I just want to see a Strong & Stable™ government

Blog Entries

ffs mun.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Worth noting that the people to benefit from tuition fee abolition are, to a fair extent, not able to vote yet, and there was no plan to refund those who have already paid (I dearly wish there was). So your analysis of why 'young people' voted labour is quite certainly wrong.
    The Quiet Monkfish is like many rabid Tories. Hopelessly out of touch. With his views formed by an archaic media mogul eager to spin lies to save his own wealth. Young people voted because scared old farts thought they were voting for an end to people with brown skin coming in last June, the price being their futures.

The young folk have, for many years, been deliberately disenfranchised in an effort to keep people of "stock" in power. Seeing how much of a mess the establishment have made of this country in the last 3 decades or more, they heeded May's advice and voted because enough really is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    The Quiet Monkfish is like many rabid Tories. Hopelessly out of touch. With his views formed by an archaic media mogul eager to spin lies to save his own wealth. Young people voted because scared old farts thought they were voting for an end to people with brown skin coming in last June, the price being their futures.

The young folk have, for many years, been deliberately disenfranchised in an effort to keep people of "stock" in power. Seeing how much of a mess the establishment have made of this country in the last 3 decades or more, they heeded May's advice and voted because enough really is enough.
    It pains me to hear of your disenfranchisement. I am in awe at how you have managed to learn so much, so young, and old farts like me, so little. Probably down to to the fact that when I was your age I was obsessed with chasing birds, drinking in pubs and clubs, and football - not worrying about boring politics..

I am in awe at how you have managed to learn so much, so young
    Maybe he doesn't posses an institutionalised mind that is easily triggered by the establishment media

It pains me to hear of your disenfranchisement. I am in awe at how you have managed to learn so much, so young, and old farts like me, so little. Probably down to to the fact that when I was your age I was obsessed with chasing birds, drinking in pubs and clubs, and football - not worrying about boring politics..
    I'll have to remind everybody what "lad" started this thread.

Maybe he doesn't posses an institutionalised mind that is easily triggered by the establishment media
    The people control the media now, not rich oligarchs. Gone are the days when meetings like this could be kept off the front pages:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8aRD9DNDsI

has been shared and retweeted numerous times. That single video has been viewed 71000 times, and there are other versions out there.

By the way, I have never been disenfranchised - I've always had an interest in politics. However, there is little doubt that the major parties have (until the last 6 weeks) been eager to keep younger people from the voting booths. The result is we are heading for a disastrous Brexit to appease some Tory MPs who are now out of work. All to keep out "terrorism" and "foreigners".

The balance of power is swinging. The silver vote will still be important, as will the opinions of those of us who can still chase "birds".

The people control the media now, not rich oligarchs. Gone are the days when meetings like this could be kept off the front pages:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8aRD9DNDsI

has been shared and retweeted numerous times. That single video has been viewed 71000 times, and there are other versions out there.

By the way, I have never been disenfranchised - I've always had an interest in politics. However, there is little doubt that the major parties have (until the last 6 weeks) been eager to keep younger people from the voting booths. The result is we are heading for a disastrous Brexit to appease some Tory MPs who are now out of work. All to keep out "terrorism" and "foreigners".

The balance of power is swinging. The silver vote will still be important, as will the opinions of those of us who can still chase "birds".
    you think the sliver vote don't chase birds!! how naive

you think the sliver vote don't chase birds!! how naive
    I was kind of hoping that, when we hit 50, they start chasing us.

Blog Entries

Don't forget Russell Brands advice "Vote Labour if you want more time off work"

A week is a very long time in politics:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7792006.html

9.59 pm on Thursday 8 June was another world!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

They have both always been pretty unpopular with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    They have both always been pretty unpopular with me.
    all wankers

Blog Entries

all wankers
    I have to act like a lady sometimes so I wasn't going to say it

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post