+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How do people feel about these two graphs?

How do people feel about these two graphs?

CEOpay.jpg

RealTermsWageGrowth.jpg

These are both old and have probably be posted in some form or another but when taken together they do provide some kind of insight into why some people believe growth in Britain has simply been a tool to make the rich richer and why some say trickle down economics is pure fantasy.

This is clearly unsustainable but doesn't appear to be an issue this government wish to tackle as it flies in the face of their ideology. I would imagine this kind of rampant inequality is a significant issue already for anyone who voted for Labour in the most recent election so I guess it would be more interesting to hear from anybody who sympathises with the Conservative parties position on business/tax and the future of the UK.

FYI the average FTSE100 CEO pay is now well over 5 million.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How do people feel about these two graphs?

I think austerity is not working the greedy rich are too greedy.

It's too late to absorb the OP's charts but another has fascinated me today, that of Ethereum, up 22% on the day. This wholly contrived Qatar shenanigans has sparked financial rumours of a banking crisis centered on that country first thing Monday morning. Is it to be the Black Swan event?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    CEOpay.jpg

RealTermsWageGrowth.jpg

These are both old and have probably be posted in some form or another but when taken together they do provide some kind of insight into why some people believe growth in Britain has simply been a tool to make the rich richer and why some say trickle down economics is pure fantasy.

This is clearly unsustainable but doesn't appear to be an issue this government wish to tackle as it flies in the face of their ideology. I would imagine this kind of rampant inequality is a significant issue already for anyone who voted for Labour in the most recent election so I guess it would be more interesting to hear from anybody who sympathises with the Conservative parties position on business/tax and the future of the UK.

FYI the average FTSE100 CEO pay is now well over 5 million.
    I'm certainly not a sympathiser with Conservative parties, so I'll limit myself to saying that what jumps out at me from the CEO pay v revenue, profits and FTSE index chart is that the exorbitant wages paid to the CEOs are in no way justified by the performance of their companies.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The graph was 2007-2015, the UK economy took a massive hit around 2007 (remember the crash) and to say it was in critical condition for quite a few after that is an understatement. Would prefer to see it on a year by year basis.

CEO pay is and has been a worry, but telling a private company how much (maximum) they should pay their staff is a bad move and something that is nothing to do with the Govt - it is up to the share holders. Which has now happened recently - hopefully it'll continue.

Every country ideally wants slow and steady growth, a country that lives near it's means (deficit) and preferably that has low debt. To get yourself out of that situation has to be done slowly.

If a company does well - then yes - rewards should be given to all. What Fecks me off is AM's in Cardiff Bay complaining about wages etc - whilst the WAG recently had a 10k a year pay rise forced on them
    Yes, I remember the crash in 2007/08 - I can also see the massive increase in CEO pay between 2008 and 2011.

Feedback

The IFS have split wage growth into 2 parts: existing jobs have seen real terms wage growth and new jobs have see lower starting wages. In other words, if you had a job your pay has increased in line or above inflation but if you were starting a job for the first time your starting pay has decreased in real terms.

Slowest recovery since the 1700's under the Tories, it's almost like they are doing it on purpose to destroy the public sector, NHS, social welfare, etc. Can they really be this bad?

The graph was 2007-2015, the UK economy took a massive hit around 2007 (remember the crash) and to say it was in critical condition for quite a few after that is an understatement. Would prefer to see it on a year by year basis.

CEO pay is and has been a worry, but telling a private company how much (maximum) they should pay their staff is a bad move and something that is nothing to do with the Govt - it is up to the share holders. Which has now happened recently - hopefully it'll continue.

Every country ideally wants slow and steady growth, a country that lives near it's means (deficit) and preferably that has low debt. To get yourself out of that situation has to be done slowly.

If a company does well - then yes - rewards should be given to all. What Fecks me off is AM's in Cardiff Bay complaining about wages etc - whilst the WAG recently had a 10k a year pay rise forced on them
    I agree with this but it isn't how it works. I wouldn't want a situation where a limit is imposed, it would be too massive a step from what we have now (effectively a government which rubber stamps rising inequality). However big business doesn't seem to be able to curb their own behaviour, why would they? The idea that angry shareholders will bring about positive change is laughable, they will just want to be a bigger recipient of the money grab themselves.

Im not disagreeing with you - most CEO pay is usually related to company performance and hitting objectives as set out in their contract pay any other key deliverables. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) you also get people who are found out - Fred the Shred, The Crysal Methodist to name but 2.

Adam Crowsier (dodgy spelling) the man who was CEO of the Post Office, and then the FA etc I was always baffled by his remuneration. Why the head of the post office warrants a 1million salary is beyond me, just like AM's getting a 10k salary increase.

If for example the CEO of WHSmith was getting 1 million a year - and for some reason I had a problem with that - then simple - I wouldnt shop there.

I dont buy any Apple product (they are all sh1t anyway), I dont use FaceBook or Google Ads, I dont buy coffee in Starbucks - all of whom dodge their corporation tax by using a EU tax dodge that means they pay their corp tax in Ireland and then most of that gets dissolved into various offshore loans etc.
    Privatisation has made it almost impossible to go about your daily life without endorsing some company or another. If the government gives the franchise contract to a company who pays its CEO an obscene salary I should feel obliged to just not the train and walk 20 miles to work?

I dont buy any Apple product (they are all sh1t anyway), I dont use FaceBook or Google Ads, I dont buy coffee in Starbucks - all of whom dodge their corporation tax by using a EU tax dodge that means they pay their corp tax in Ireland and then most of that gets dissolved into various offshore loans etc.
    Do you have a link to this EU / Multinational tax dodge that you keep referring to. I have Googled it (irony alert) several times, but this article from HMRC is the closest I can find.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...l-corporations

It makes no reference at all to any overarching EU corporate tax laws, but I'm certainly no expert.

Perhaps someone who is like Feedy, but is not Feedy could clear up my confusion