+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket

Cricket

Do you cricket fans find it embarrassing, that Wales don't have its own cricket team? Cheering on england ECT? Even Scotland and Ireland have Thier own national teams, yet we play under the 3 lions, or whatever it is. Why don't we have our own cricket team? I'd rather see us get slammed every game under the Welsh flag. Cricket is shit anyway, but it's even more shit to see Wales being a non entity under the English banner, with the odd test here and their down Glamorgan. Surely we would get a lot more one day cricket, and even test cricket with our own team?

Re: Cricket

No wonder Wales is still seen as a small part of England.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    No wonder Wales is still seen as a small part of England.
    its always been england and wales cricket, works for me, its the only England shirt if feel happy to wear, Someone Jones 2005 ashes doing the ayatollah etc

Why does everyone seem to get offended by everything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why does everyone seem to get offended by everything these days?
    no idea, social media?? its bollux

England and Wales Cricket Board

though not sure where the W is in ECB ? ? ?

We have had Welsh Players playing for the team

Do you cricket fans find it embarrassing, that Wales don't have its own cricket team? Cheering on england ECT? Even Scotland and Ireland have Thier own national teams, yet we play under the 3 lions, or whatever it is. Why don't we have our own cricket team? I'd rather see us get slammed every game under the Welsh flag. Cricket is shit anyway, but it's even more shit to see Wales being a non entity under the English banner, with the odd test here and their down Glamorgan. Surely we would get a lot more one day cricket, and even test cricket with our own team?
    Fair points raised and i agree with much of it. Commercially it's not popular enough in wales to make it a viable option, although Wales has fielded sides in the past.

Personally, I don't feel the excitement that I used to when I was younger (a few reasons not least too much cricket on these days). I rarely cheer for England, though it does actually depend on who we are playing, for instance I can't ever cheer for Australia.

There are people who say that because it is the England and Wales cricket board then the name should change. Fact is that "England" is the trademark and unfortunately we have to suck it up.

I have no problem with the joint team playing under the auspices of the England & Wales Cricket Board.

I do have a problem with the Welsh part being airbrushed out - ECB, 'England' and three lions.

Wales does have its own cricket team it plays in the minor counties, if the people who moaned about us not having a cricket team, got behind it and supported it, then the argument about having a team that plays international matches grows.

Welsh cricket is supported by the ECB because at the moment it the best funding structure for the game at the moment, and the powers that be deem this best for the sport in the country.

If Wales were to go alone then we would lose ECB funding, there wouldn't be test matches or ODI, there would be loads of associate matches with other teams around our level. At the moment cricket fans in Wales do not support Glamorgan, so i dont believe we would see huge crowds for Wales vs Hong Kong.

Wales are playing Berkshire in Abergavenny next weekend. Go along if you are determined to support Wales at cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Wales does have its own cricket team it plays in the minor counties, if the people who moaned about us not having a cricket team, got behind it and supported it, then the argument about having a team that plays international matches grows.

Welsh cricket is supported by the ECB because at the moment it the best funding structure for the game at the moment, and the powers that be deem this best for the sport in the country.

If Wales were to go alone then we would lose ECB funding, there wouldn't be test matches or ODI, there would be loads of associate matches with other teams around our level. At the moment cricket fans in Wales do not support Glamorgan, so i dont believe we would see huge crowds for Wales vs Hong Kong.

Wales are playing Berkshire in Abergavenny next weekend. Go along if you are determined to support Wales at cricket.
    Ah yes now you mention Wales playing in the minor counties I remember.
    The truth is that cricket in Wales does not generate the interest.
    I would compare it to baseball in that Wales, until recently, had a team and played England even though a handful of teams play the game.
    Even our 1st class county side Glamorgan struggle to get numbers for the county championship games and lose money hand over fist. Without checking the stats I suspect that the majority of other1st class counties struggle too and are all grateful to the ECB for funding.
    It is sad to say but without the England badge, first class cricket in Wales would be no more.

Abergavenny you say. I can't go but would you show me a photograph? Hope the weather is fine

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I would compare it to baseball in that Wales, until recently, had a team and played England even though a handful of teams play the game.
    Even our 1st class county side Glamorgan struggle to get numbers for the county championship games and lose money hand over fist. Without checking the stats I suspect that the majority of other1st class counties struggle too and are all grateful to the ECB for funding.
    It is sad to say but without the England badge, first class cricket in Wales would be no more.

Abergavenny you say. I can't go but would you show me a photograph? Hope the weather is fine
    I'll be playing for my local club so will be unable to make the trip. If people want to support cricket in Wales there are numerous ways, from supporting your local club, to watching Glamorgan.

If you want to support a cricket team in Wales called Wales you can.

No. Also, Ireland and Scotland don't play Test cricket, so the best players will end up playing for England anyway.

Cricket isn't like football or rugby, it is a truly closed shop. Also, Cricket Wales get millions in funding from the ICC and ECB. If they went on their own, they'd get 30k, which would be detrimental to cricket in Wales. It is always non-cricket fans that whine about this.

There is 0% chance of Wales or Scotland ever playing a Test match. There's about a 10% chance of Ireland doing so I'd suggest.

Fecking hate Cricket so couldn't give a toss frankly.

Only seems to be non cricket fans who get their knickers in a twist over this.

It's just the way it is in cricket. Accept that.

Rivalries from other sports don't necessarily apply in every sport.

As an aside, whilst we obviously have Glamorgan, traditionally in Cardiff and Newport, baseball was extremely popular, arguably more so than cricket, is this partly why we don't have as many cricketers as England?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    As an aside, whilst we obviously have Glamorgan, traditionally in Cardiff and Newport, baseball was extremely popular, arguably more so than cricket, is this partly why we don't have as many cricketers as England?
    Cardiff and Newport have plenty of reasonably strong cricket teams. there is no lack of cricket in the capital.

In Wales i just dont think the system is strong enough to stand on its own. There is no sustainable model of clubs bringing in money, to support a structure for a national team. Ultimately i do not think the desire in Wales is there from the population to support cricket (outside what is already happening).

Cricket in Wales is bigger than baseball at the moment, i don't think baseball impacts on cricket at all in Wales.

With regards to International Matches in the SSE, people need to realise that its not filled with Welsh people supporting England, a lot of people come in from England who see Cardiff as more accessible than some of the other test match grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Fecking hate Cricket so couldn't give a toss frankly.
    For me cricket is the best sport in the world, I love the game.
    People who call the game boring are the one's who really don't understand the game. There's a lot more to it than putting bat on ball.
    I'm not having a pop at you here, far from it. I've always said that if we all liked the same things in life the world would be a boring place.
    I know lots of people in our country love rugby, but for me its boring and I got no interest in the game at all. I suppose you could say its because I really don't understand it, and I don't if I'm being honest.

I love cricket too - for me it's a relaxing social sport to watch. I also played for a great midweek team for years having some fantastic games and making loads of friends.

The team has always been England. Wales is represented by Glamorgan who I also love to watch.

I'll save my 'fire and passion ' for the football season

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    For me cricket is the best sport in the world, I love the game.
    People who call the game boring are the one's who really don't understand the game. There's a lot more to it than putting bat on ball.
    I'm not having a pop at you here, far from it. I've always said that if we all liked the same things in life the world would be a boring place.
    I know lots of people in our country love rugby, but for me its boring and I got no interest in the game at all. I suppose you could say its because I really don't understand it, and I don't if I'm being honest.
    I don't take your reply as a pop mate and freely admit I don't understand the game, apart from the basics anyway. My two best mates are mad about Cricket and when they start talking about it, my eyes just glaze over, I just don't get it.

In the same way, I can understand why people might think golf is boring.

Praying to God that tomorrow's game isn't empty, without being funny there's far better grounds where ticket sales would be a millions miles better

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    Praying to God that tomorrow's game isn't empty, without being funny there's far better grounds where ticket sales would be a millions miles better
    The problems havent been sales, it the people then not turning up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think I'm right in saying that in rugby, the Welsh regions would collapse if they didn't receive significant funding from the WRU. Football is maybe the opposite to most sports, where the club game is bigger and more financially important than international level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think I'm right in saying that in rugby, the Welsh regions would collapse if they didn't receive significant funding from the WRU. Football is maybe the opposite to most sports, where the club game is bigger and more financially important than international level.
    In most sports the clubs feed the international teams with players, but the international teams sell the television rights. On that basis its only fair that the International side funds the lower level or they will have no players to sell the product of international sport.

The premier league is a phenomena in itself. It sell its own right for huge sums, and doesn't really care about international performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    well Indian fans bought 38% of the tickets. blame the ticketing system