+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does anyone live on an unadopted road?

Does anyone live on an unadopted road?

I'm looking at buying a house that's situated on an unadopted road. It also has a septic tank with a soakaway and certain parts on the house are common land. If that's not enough they are building a wind farm access road near.

The house and gardens are stunning which is why i'm even considering it with the above factors. Has anyone any experience of living in a house with the above issues and how much are they a factor?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone live on an unadopted road?

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2man1/2horse View Post
    I'm looking at buying a house that's situated on an unadopted road. It also has a septic tank with a soakaway and certain parts on the house are common land. If that's not enough they are building a wind farm access road near.

The house and gardens are stunning which is why i'm even considering it with the above factors. Has anyone any experience of living in a house with the above issues and how much are they a factor?

Thanks in advance.
    i know a few on a unadopted road, i clean the windows on it

they have just all chipped in and had the curbs done and the road resurfaced, it was a stone chip type of road, the council pressured them into it

The owners had a bit of a battle, some of the road didnt want it done, some did, people fell out over it

in the end, the people who wanted it done pressured a few of the others into it, 3 out of 18 did not pay for the work

Re: Does anyone live on an unadopted road?

Our house is next to a common that was bought a few years ago by the Parish Council.

Previously it was owned by an absentee landlord who was charging residents for access rights to drive to their property and also for connection to mains services that crossed the common. We also had some travellers pitch up on the common a few years ago, and because he wasn't interested in having them moved on, they ended up staying there for a couple of months.

The maintenance of the access track is down to us residents. we usually chip in for some road scalpings every few years. There is definitely the potential with falling out with the neighbours over this though.

You may also find that your solicitor is a bit twitchy about the access to your property, if it is via the common, unless there is a formal agreement with the owner of the common in existence,

For us, on balance, the situation of the house outweighs any of these minor niggles