+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone see the programme about "THE COAL EXCHANGE", last night. AB FAB !!

Anyone see the programme about "THE COAL EXCHANGE", last night. AB FAB !!

Can't find it on i Player, but what a transformation in a building.

Can only find this:---
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wale...ady-to-develop

They have done Cardiff proud.

Re: Anyone see the programme about "THE COAL EXCHANGE", last night. AB FAB !!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Kept a lot of the pld features as well

https://uk.hotels.com/ho685805/the-e...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm staying there next week so I'll report back on my findings.

It's on the i player under "Documentaries". I am recording it now.

I'll catch that on I player. Cheers for the heads up mate. Hopefully the restoration of that building will kickstart more of the old buildings around that part getting a spruce up. Some lovely old buildings by there, with bags of history. I do like the way the bay has come on, but I'd love to see more of the historical buildings being restored. Can't believe they got rid of the red house over on the pointe

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm staying there next week so I'll report back on my findings.
    Stayed here last night in one of their luxurious deluxe suites. Had the air con in the room cranked up to max and by the time we got back to the room after dinner it was like an ice box in there, lovely.

Room was spacious with cool and modern furnishings, fancy en-suite bathroom with a whirlpool bath big enough for a fat bloke and his normal-sized wife.

You can see evidence that they are still working on many parts of the building, some bits are boarded up and there's workmen dotted about but it still looks quite opulent from the outside and the lobby retains some of the old-timey features of the original building.

When we went for dinner we had the entire place to ourselves and old fashioned music echoed throughout the hall and with all the ornate and elaborate wood and brass decoration it was like walking onto the Titanic.

Our peaceful, special solitude came to an abrupt end somewhere after the first course we were invaded by a literal bus-load of Scottish pensioners. We still had a lovely evening despite no longer having the place to ourselves though.

Dinner was amazing, I always think it's a good sign when a restaurant has a small menu, quality over quantity. I had the scotch egg for a starter and for the main course the steak which I can say without doubt was the finest I've ever eaten, absolutely delicious.

Breakfast this morning was a full Welsh (which turns out to be the same thing as a full English) buffet style. And the coffee was smashing as well.

As you can see from the pics below, this is the main hall which the hotel now uses as the dining room/bar. All the pics are from last night except the last one with the chandelier lights on which was taken this morning.

I'd be happy to recommend this place to anyone looking for higher-end accommodation. The surroundings are quite fancy, the staff all respectful, helpful and attentive.

It is a bit pricey but on the plus side, I don't think the horde of pensioners are a permanent fixture.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looked at the menu on-line and I must say, "it looked like, half a carrot, half a pea, type of serving". Is this the case. ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Looked at the menu on-line and I must say, "it looked like, half a carrot, half a pea, type of serving". Is this the case. ?
    No, it's a proper meal. It doesn't look like much but it does the job, take it from a guy who likes his food.

Thanks for the heads up.

No, it's a proper meal. It doesn't look like much but it does the job, take it from a guy who likes his food.

My NOSY barsteward Mrs asked "what was the occasion for you to stay there"

My NOSY barsteward Mrs asked "what was the occasion for you to stay there"
    Our 3rd anniversary (and her birthday).

I will definitely stay there when I next visit Cardiff for a match probably in September. For most matches I usually stay in the Travelodge in the Bay so the Coal Exchange should prove to be an upgrade.

Just watched the program on iPlayer, very weird to see my own hotel room being built on screen just a few weeks before I stayed in it

Another iconic music venue falls victim to gentrification

I'd be happy to recommend this place to anyone looking for higher-end accommodation. The surroundings are quite fancy, the staff all respectful, helpful and attentive.
    Cheers. I like the idea of bringing the Mrs there for a special occasion. Happy anniversary btw.

Really glad it. Never got bull dozered like so many if the fine buildings in our fair city. Have to try and see the prog now