+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Whitts gone..

With Whitts gone..

Who is the most skilled player we have at the club now?

Re: With Whitts gone..

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Who is the most skilled player we have at the club now?
    Pilkington.

Greg Halford if you believe one or two on here.

Zohore

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Pilkington.

Potentially Emyr Huws, if he shows, or has the chance to show that potential here is another thing.

Its a further dilution of our quality

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Its a further dilution of our quality
    For once I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    For once I agree with you
    I was just thinking the same thing. When we need some delicacy to open a team up I don't think we're going to have it.

I was thinking about the quality we were just about to lose as Huws overhit a ball for Richards v Serbia the other night...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. When we need some delicacy to open a team up I don't think we're going to have it.

I was thinking about the quality we were just about to lose as Huws overhit a ball for Richards v Serbia the other night...
    There is no delicacy in this league ask Fulham , I think Warnock wants 10 outfielders full of energy , capable of high intensity for 90 minutes,with pace up front ,we won some good games last year without Whitt's , who less be fair is tiring,as with the Halford debate and Warnocks choices ,lets see how it pans out , he will live or die by his sword , my guess a contract was on offer and reduced terms ,its over let move on and support what we have ?

It's of interest no other Championship has come in for him , is that the wages , or they see a player no longer capable of 90 minutes of football, week in week out in a very tough league, economies of scale ?

PS Whitt's is one of the best players I have seen in a city shirt , love the lad , I've seen a few over give or take a 45 year period , thanks Peter Whittingham ,true legend .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There is no delicacy in this league ask Fulham , I think Warnock wants 10 outfielders full of energy , capable of high intensity for 90 minutes,with pace up front ,we won some good games last year without Whitt's , who less be fair is tiring,as with the Halford debate and Warnocks choices ,lets see how it pans out , he will live or die by his sword , my guess a contract was on offer and reduced terms ,its over let move on and support what we have ?

It's of interest no other Championship has come in for him , is that the wages , or they see a player no longer capable of 90 minutes of football, week in week out in a very tough league, economies of scale ?

PS Whitt's is one of the best players I have seen in a city shirt , love the lad , I've seen a few over give or take a 45 year period , thanks Peter Whittingham ,true legend .
    Don't get me wrong, I think his moving on is best for him and the club. I was just musing about how we replace what he used to bring and whether we had anyone capable of doing this already. I don't believe either Ralls or Gunnarsson possess the skill we need to replace Whitts. It's important because players stop making runs with belief if they think the ball's not going to get to them e.g. overlapping full backs.

Still, I do trust Warnock to get this right and it'll be interesting to see how we play next season with our new additions.

Banned

Skilled at what? Defending, goalkeeping scoring goals. Whitts has a cracking left peg but he is no Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    but he is no Messi.
    You don't half come out with some crap.

As a number 10 we don't have one that instantly springs to mind.

Very few games he was effective in last season. I loved him in previous seasons but it just wasn't working out recently.

All the best Whits you've given me some of my best memories as a city fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Skilled at what? Defending, goalkeeping scoring goals. Whitts has a cracking left peg but he is no Messi.
    I think you need to go look to the definition of skilled pal

From various In The City interviews with players over the past year I think the answer is probably Pilkington. His name often comes up as the most technically skilled (after Whitts) - helped by the fact that he is two footed. It doesn't follow that he always uses his skill in the most effective way.

With Whitts gone ...
    I'm only going to be moaning about Ralls every game. This next season if I see one post saying "Ah well he's still young" I'm going to meet that poster in Beddau!!!
    If Ralls can do the simple things half as well as Whitts I'd be happy, but Ralls must understand that he's not Whitts...there was only one Whitts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    With Whitts gone ...
    I'm only going to be moaning about Ralls every game. This next season if I see one post saying "Ah well he's still young" I'm going to meet that poster in Beddau!!!
    If Ralls can do the simple things half as well as Whitts I'd be happy, but Ralls must understand that he's not Whitts...there was only one Whitts.
    Don't think he's ever seen himself as another Whitts - Ralls is a good, solid Championship midfielder who has got more ability than he is given credit for.

As for the original question, I'd agree with those who said Pilkington I think.

Joe Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Very good post, best in the thread so far. Thanks for the memories Whitts, Club legend and quality footballer at the height of his career. Good luck, time for Club and player to move on.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think his moving on is best for him and the club. I was just musing about how we replace what he used to bring and whether we had anyone capable of doing this already. I don't believe either Ralls or Gunnarsson possess the skill we need to replace Whitts. It's important because players stop making runs with belief if they think the ball's not going to get to them e.g. overlapping full backs.

Still, I do trust Warnock to get this right and it'll be interesting to see how we play next season with our new additions.
    I came to the opposite conclusion about overlapping full backs. When we played five at the back under Trollope, it should've been the solution to the problem of where to play Whitts. An extra defender behind him so his defensive weaknesses wouldn't be so exposed while the wing backs could be picked out by his passes to give us an extra attacking threat. As we know, it didn't turn out like that, the wing backs barely got forward at all. I reasoned it wasn't because of a lack of belief that they wouldn't get the ball if they pushed on but a fear that they wouldn't be covered defensively.

I'm not blaming Whitts entirely for this but I'd certainly say he didn't help. Here's the late goal that Reading beat us with here last season (it comes at around 1.40).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRj1Y1WyyI

Harris is left 2 on 1, I'm not sure if Whitts should have been helping him out (maybe that was Manga's fault) but I've no idea what he's doing. Noone is further up the pitch, suddenly realises the danger and races back, Ralls is already in the box with the other defenders but Whitts never appears. He could've tried to help Harris to block the cross, could've tracked the runners into the box, could've come back to make an extra defender but he does none of them, just stands outside the box and watches it all unfold.

Unfair to generalise but that example sums up what frustrated me with him in recent years. Not just the lack of urgency but the lack of athleticism too. He's 32, the same age as Ronaldo (and Bamba for us) yet we were meant to have sympathy because his legs had gone and it was the other players' responsibility to cover for him. As you say, his moving on is best for him and the club. Good luck to him at Blackburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I came to the opposite conclusion about overlapping full backs. When we played five at the back under Trollope, it should've been the solution to the problem of where to play Whitts. An extra defender behind him so his defensive weaknesses wouldn't be so exposed while the wing backs could be picked out by his passes to give us an extra attacking threat. As we know, it didn't turn out like that, the wing backs barely got forward at all. I reasoned it wasn't because of a lack of belief that they wouldn't get the ball if they pushed on but a fear that they wouldn't be covered defensively.

I'm not blaming Whitts entirely for this but I'd certainly say he didn't help. Here's the late goal that Reading beat us with here last season (it comes at around 1.40).

Harris is left 2 on 1, I'm not sure if Whitts should have been helping him out (maybe that was Manga's fault) but I've no idea what he's doing. Noone is further up the pitch, suddenly realises the danger and races back, Ralls is already in the box with the other defenders but Whitts never appears. He could've tried to help Harris to block the cross, could've tracked the runners into the box, could've come back to make an extra defender but he does none of them, just stands outside the box and watches it all unfold.

Unfair to generalise but that example sums up what frustrated me with him in recent years. Not just the lack of urgency but the lack of athleticism too. He's 32, the same age as Ronaldo (and Bamba for us) yet we were meant to have sympathy because his legs had gone and it was the other players' responsibility to cover for him. As you say, his moving on is best for him and the club. Good luck to him at Blackburn.
    Absolute load of bollocks.

All those defenders against very few attackers yet Whitts should get out and help Harris, or should track a runner? Make your mind up?!?

Manga is in no mans lad and he's the DEFENDER ffs. He is the one who should have been out there helping out Harris not Whitts.

Usual shit throwing at Whitts who's a championship standard player yet he's expected to be Keane / Gerrard / Scholes rolled into one.

Just watched it again and to say he should have tracked the the runner is just ****ing laughable.

Noone is 5 yards away from the runner, Whitts is about 20 but Whitts should have tracked the runner?!?!?

Stick to the loan updates and wanking off Eikrem and Daehli you muppet

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Did you really just compare his mobility to the best player in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Just watched it again and to say he should have tracked the the runner is just ****ing laughable.

Noone is 5 yards away from the runner, Whitts is about 20 but Whitts should have tracked the runner?!?!?

Stick to the loan updates and wanking off Eikrem and Daehli you muppet
    Probably best that you don't spend too much time in the sun at this time of year.

The point I was making was that as a central midfielder he had three options as the Reading move built up; he can go to help the full back, he can drop into the box (like Ralls does) or he can track one of the runners who are outside the box (like Noone does belatedly). Instead, he ambles along in some no man's land and then stops to watch. I'm not generalising from that one example, I'm saying that he frustrated me a lot by the end and I provided an example to illustrate my point. You don't have to agree.

In answer to your other point, I wouldn't claim that Bamba was the best player in the world although he did have a decent season. I was just providing a couple of examples of other 32 year old footballers that posters might have heard of.