+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Given the all clear

Re: Given the all clear

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Back in June I went to the Doctors with symptoms similar to what I was getting with my prostate scare four years ago when I was given the all clear after a biopsy, but, because of my higher than normal PSA readings (I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate as part of the investigation in 2014), I should have it tested every six months.

I was pissing blood back in June and they confirmed I had a urinary tract infection and put me on anti biotics, but I was also told to have a PSA blood test which came back at 52 (it should be in the 5/6 region for someone of my age). The doctor who gave me the result told me he was very surprised that I was told to take a PSA when I was taking anti biotics for an infection because these were two factors which tended to increase the result, but the research I carried out showed that although this was true, any resulting increase tended to be much less than was indicated for me. Also, the advice given on the NHS Choices website said that anyone who had been treated with anti biotics for a UTI should wait at least six weeks after the treatment has finished before having their prostate tested again.

So. I've spent most of the summer fairly convinced I had prostate cancer, only to learn this morning that my reading had returned to normal and the doctor was happy for me to revert to my once every six months testing.

I thought it would be a good idea to put this story on this thread, not so much to inform you of my good news, but more to use my story as an example that a (very) high PSA result need not necessarily mean cancer if someone is concerned about their prostate.
    Great news to hear makes a change to have positive news amongst all the bad things happening

Yep great news for both Jeeps and Paul. It’s not difficult to fear the worst and in some ways it’s human nature to do so as a way of coping. So when it’s good news it makes it all the more better.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Back in June I went to the Doctors with symptoms similar to what I was getting with my prostate scare four years ago when I was given the all clear after a biopsy, but, because of my higher than normal PSA readings (I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate as part of the investigation in 2014), I should have it tested every six months.

I was pissing blood back in June and they confirmed I had a urinary tract infection and put me on anti biotics, but I was also told to have a PSA blood test which came back at 52 (it should be in the 5/6 region for someone of my age). The doctor who gave me the result told me he was very surprised that I was told to take a PSA when I was taking anti biotics for an infection because these were two factors which tended to increase the result, but the research I carried out showed that although this was true, any resulting increase tended to be much less than was indicated for me. Also, the advice given on the NHS Choices website said that anyone who had been treated with anti biotics for a UTI should wait at least six weeks after the treatment has finished before having their prostate tested again.

So. I've spent most of the summer fairly convinced I had prostate cancer, only to learn this morning that my reading had returned to normal and the doctor was happy for me to revert to my once every six months testing.

I thought it would be a good idea to put this story on this thread, not so much to inform you of my good news, but more to use my story as an example that a (very) high PSA result need not necessarily mean cancer if someone is concerned about their prostate.
    good news

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great news bob. Isn't it strange that if we were all put in a room together and asked to talk about issues that affect us, then there'd be a crush at the door while people escaped, in fact, as men, we struggle to talk to the people who are closest to us, yet this place has been a pillar of support for so many over the years. People talking about depression, alcohol and substance abuse, relationship problems, even suicidal thoughts, and the support from others on here has been tremendous, it's also allowed others to open up and share their experiences. They say that football forums are on the slide, probably true, and probably used by fast approaching or already there, middle aged blokes like me. The benefits to these type of sites are massive, we talk a whole load of shit, squabble like kids, but when someone needs a bit of help and support, whether it's to do with mental health or fitting skirting board the response is tremendous. Football is more than just a game, it can be a life saver
    Brilliant post Tuerto 👍👍👏👏

Nice to have a thread with such good news.

Stay healthy lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Nice to have a thread with such good news.

Stay healthy lads.
    And lasses!

Good news x

Thanks very much to those who wished me well, but, although perhaps I should have been more concerned, I was fairly calm throughout the period while I was waiting for my second PSA (I learned the result of the first one on the day before the World Cup started) and I was amazed by how little I was worked up yesterday while I was sitting in the doctor's waiting room for about fifty minutes past my appointment time.

The main reason I can think of for this is the conversation I had with the Urology consultant four years ago when he told me that, although he was happy to sign me off, he did want me to keep having six monthly PSA tests - I can remember his words "you're in the system now and with a PSA like yours, it's best we keep it that way - if the tests reveal anything in the future, you will know that any cancer would have been detected pretty early and that should greatly help the chances of a positive outcome". So, I'd like to think that and, perhaps, my research and experiences from my scare in 2014, made me think that, even if it had been bad news yesterday, the chances of a good outcome would be pretty high.

As I mentioned, in my message yesterday, my line of thinking in putting what I learned yesterday on here was, primarily to show anyone who may have a raised PSA result in the future that it is possible to have a very high test score and it still end up not being cancer. I'd also say that I'm lucky because, as the Consultant said, I'm in the system, but I could have been much earlier if I had acted on the "prostate like" symptoms I'd had for years - for example, I'd been getting up for a least one pee a night for about fifteen years before circumstances forced me into doing something about it.

Good news Bob. And to all, as mentioned don’t be afraid or embarrassed to get things checked out. Or you might be checking out the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Good news Bob. And to all, as mentioned don’t be afraid or embarrassed to get things checked out. Or you might be checking out the other way.
    Good news both