Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
Bob

Just my opinion but I reckon the younger generation are far more idealised - I know I certainly was - than the older generation.

As you get older you become more of a realist about the world around you. I would say the older generation want more stability and certainty rather than radical change. That is perfectly understandable given the lack of career options as you age, which comes with a lack of earning potential. I don't find that looking after yourself and thinking how you are going manage when you are passed working age as selfish at all. Not everyone has a bullet proof public sector pension that they can rely on - a pension that can provide a certain level of certainty and consistency that you enjoy.

The baby boomers you refer to have an inordinate amount of the nation's wealth held in property and investments such as final salary pensions. By voting the way they do they are voting to maintain their own wealth and living standards and given they don't have much in the way of enhanced earning potential I alluded to earlier it shouldn't seem that surprising that they vote in the way they do.
I think this is exactly the point Bob was trying to make (I might be wrong). The older generations appear to, in their 'wisdom', on average vote for whatever helps them in the short term - they have the something to protect.

Younger generations have less possessions and money in play so they are able to base their vote on what they believe in. Almost everything I based my vote on won't benefit me directly, I have absolutely feck all to lose. We have had many consecutive governments now who have driven wealth inequality, the pendulum has swung too far and now public services are simply not receiving the money they need.

It is kinda the definition of 'selfishness' but the problem is the word selfish inspires wholely negative thoughts. The reality is everyone is selfish and we have to be selfish to some degree else we wouldn't survive.