+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corbyn to do Glastonbury - 'the hero of the hour'!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Corbyn to do Glastonbury - 'the hero of the hour'!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

At 61, one of the differences between how I think now and how I thought ten years ago is that I'm increasingly aware of my own mortality, but there is another fear that eats away at me and that is that the day is getting ever closer when I go to sleep one night and find that I've turned into a selfish bigot when I wake up the following morning.

Of course, it would be wrong to make sweeping generalisations about old people in the way you have about today's youngsters. There are still very many pensioners who have carried the fire and beliefs of their youth into old age, but, based on my, admittedly limited, experience, there are far more who haven't.

I make a point of not discussing politics with many of the senior citizens I know because these people, who I certainly cannot say I dislike, have a tendency to launch into their best Alf Garnett impressions when the conversation turns to politics and, in particular, immigration.

No, give me the idealism and enthusiasm of youth over the cold hearted resentment of many of today's oldies when it comes to politics any day of the week.
    I'm just gobsmacked by that, so age turns people in to selfish bigots? but we mustn't make sweeping generalisations about them or talk to them about politics in case they say something we don't want to hear, after all they are just all cold hearted and full of resentment, who cares what they think?

I think it's absolutely disgraceful the way elderly people are treated in this country, it got particularly worse over brexit, the view seemed to be that all the oldies wont be around so who gives a stuff what their views are on it, never mind the fact that many of them will have lost loved ones fighting in wars for this country, never mind that they have paid in to the system their whole lives only to be told they are selfish and a burden by some youngsters who's only idea of living through hard times is their phone running out of battery, I think it's shameful tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I'm just gobsmacked by that, so age turns people in to selfish bigots? but we mustn't make sweeping generalisations about them or talk to them about politics in case they say something we don't want to hear, after all they are just all cold hearted and full of resentment, who cares what they think?

I think it's absolutely disgraceful the way elderly people are treated in this country, it got particularly worse over brexit, the view seemed to be that all the oldies wont be around so who gives a stuff what their views are on it, never mind the fact that many of them will have lost loved ones fighting in wars for this country, never mind that they have paid in to the system their whole lives only to be told they are selfish and a burden by some youngsters who's only idea of living through hard times is their phone running out of battery, I think it's shameful tbh.
    very well said

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

If I was talking about old people in general terms you'd be right to say what you did, but I wasn't - it was hardly as if I was advocating euthanasia for anyone reaching seventy five. What I was saying was that when it comes to politics, I've found that the selfish bigot quota is higher in older people than it is in younger ones.

I don't like using this term, but you have taken a portion of what I said and in doing so removed it from the context it was posted in. Also, yes I do try to avoid talking politics with some of the senior citizens I know and one of the reasons for that is that I don't like what they have to say on the subject, but, just as important in most instances, is that I don't want to fall out with someone that I regard as a friend.