+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corbyn to do Glastonbury - 'the hero of the hour'!

Re: Corbyn to do Glastonbury - 'the hero of the hour'!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think you can probably earn enough to pay for a ticket to Glastonbury and still hold the view that Britain would be better off if we had a more equal society. Those two things don't seem incompatible to me.
    Simply this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Besides do you have to be poor to have a conscience?
    And that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Regardless of how much money you have you shouldn't leave your shit there for someone else to pick up imo.
    And this too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    ^^ Theresa May would have - yet again - bussed in another dozen docile old dears from the local retirement home, to stand wobbling behind her while she trotted out more feeble, pointless, empty soundbites.

I can scarcely imagine what will actually happen over the next few years, but the lid is, well and truly off - thanks mainly to one man (who the c***s mocked) - and, frankly it is a superb sight.
    Not something I thought I would see again in my lifetime.

Great to see the young motivated and embracing hope.
    Try to mock anyone with an ounce of common sense and a recollection of how financially fecked we were by the last labour government, by stating their all docile old dears.

For balance, surely you should equally say that Corbyn appeals to 5 year olds.

As you know, both are utter bullsh!t, so why come out with bullsh!t ? Because you are imbalanced ?

The thing is that Corbyn appeals to the younger people, because he think like a teenager. He's self centric and always been a campaigner. That is why he did well at the election ( still lost to the so called awful Teresa May by over 50 seats ).

Great campaigners don't always make great leaders though.

Those policies are appallingly thought out, probably written up on the back of a fag packet or on Dianne Abbott's back !!!

Labour under Corbyn would bankrupt this country quicker than Blair and Brown could ever manage.

Then it would be down to the next Tory government to pick up the detritus left by Corbyn.

Yo yo politics at it's worst !

It's a disaster waiting to happen and we thought the likes of the dangerous Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and Ron Skinner were relics of a dim and unpleasant past.

Many other cultures respect their elders and respect their wisdom, based upon a lifetime's experiences.

Yet sadly, in this country many of the self centric young and clearly sad people like you despise, disrespect or have very little respect for older people.

Who would you want in probably the most responsible job in the country ?

Someone who thinks like a narrow minded teenager or someone with maturity and some wisdom (which isn't necessarily Teresa May) who can see the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Try to mock anyone with an ounce of common sense and a recollection of how financially fecked we were by the last labour government, by stating their all docile old dears.

As you know, both are utter bullsh!t, so why come out with bullsh!t ? Because you are imbalanced ?

The thing is that Corbyn appeals to the younger people, because he think like a teenager. He's self centric and always been a campaigner. That is why he did well at the election ( still lost to the so called awful Teresa May by over 50 seats ).

Those policies are appallingly thought out, probably written up on the back of a fag packet or on Dianne Abbott's back !!!

Labour under Corbyn would bankrupt this country quicker than Blair and Brown could ever manage.

Then it would be down to the next Tory government to pick up the detritus left by Corbyn.

It's a disaster waiting to happen and we thought the likes of the dangerous Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and Ron Skinner were relics of a dim and unpleasant past.

Many other cultures respect their elders and respect their wisdom, based upon a lifetime's experiences.

Yet sadly, in this country many of the self centric young and clearly sad people like you despise, disrespect or have very little respect for older people.

Someone who thinks like a narrow minded teenager or someone with maturity and some wisdom (which isn't necessarily Teresa May) who can see the bigger picture.
    In the audience for Question Time last week, there was a very emotional man with the veins in his neck pulsating wildly who was eventually thrown out for continuously shouting over some of the guests. He was a Labour supporter and I couldn't help thinking that the high ups in that party must have been pleased when David Dimbleby decided enough was enough because he was losing them votes by the minute - reading your hysterical rant, I find myself thinking much the same, but from the Tory side of the spectrum.

Sometimes, but not too often, I feel a smidgeon of sympathy for Conservative voters currently because so many of the certainties of life that existed for them as Theresa May embarked on her victory tour before the event of Labour seats she was going to win have been shattered - based on your message above, this has, obviously, hit you very hard.

Turning to your measured critique of the younger generation, I've alluded before on here to the fact that it's possible to see parallels between today's youngsters and the babyboomer generation. I would have thought that most historians would say that babyboomers' political views and commitment were a big factor behind the sixties being recognised as a decade when liberalism, tolerance and open mindedness flourished despite there being a very polarised society - it's too early to say whether we are on the brink of seeing the most politically motivated young generation in fifty years, but I'd say it's more likely now than it was this time last year.

If it does occur, then I sincerely hope that the same thing doesn't happen to today's sixteen to twenty four year olds as happened to the babyboomers because they are part of a "grey vote" that, if the polls are to be believed, are turning more reactionary and closed minded by the year.

At 61, one of the differences between how I think now and how I thought ten years ago is that I'm increasingly aware of my own mortality, but there is another fear that eats away at me and that is that the day is getting ever closer when I go to sleep one night and find that I've turned into a selfish bigot when I wake up the following morning.

Of course, it would be wrong to make sweeping generalisations about old people in the way you have about today's youngsters. There are still very many pensioners who have carried the fire and beliefs of their youth into old age, but, based on my, admittedly limited, experience, there are far more who haven't.

I make a point of not discussing politics with many of the senior citizens I know because these people, who I certainly cannot say I dislike, have a tendency to launch into their best Alf Garnett impressions when the conversation turns to politics and, in particular, immigration.

No, give me the idealism and enthusiasm of youth over the cold hearted resentment of many of today's oldies when it comes to politics any day of the week.

The walking cliche is here.

Muslims respect their elders, maybe you should convert.

Jeremy Corbyn is a disgrace for choosing Glastonbury over Armed Forces Day!

https://www.britainfirst.tv/jeremy-c...ed-forces-day/

This is brilliant from the Britain First Webpage, they didn't realise it was a satirical piece and copied it word for word, thick c***s

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Jeremy Corbyn is a disgrace for choosing Glastonbury over Armed Forces Day!

https://www.britainfirst.tv/jeremy-c...ed-forces-day/

This is brilliant from the Britain First Webpage, they didn't realise it was a satirical piece and copied it word for word, thick c***s
    It's called 'doing an ****'

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In the audience for Question Time last week, there was a very emotional man with the veins in his neck pulsating wildly who was eventually thrown out for continuously shouting over some of the guests. He was a Labour supporter and I couldn't help thinking that the high ups in that party must have been pleased when David Dimbleby decided enough was enough because he was losing them votes by the minute - reading your hysterical rant, I find myself thinking much the same, but from the Tory side of the spectrum.

Sometimes, but not too often, I feel a smidgeon of sympathy for Conservative voters currently because so many of the certainties of life that existed for them as Theresa May embarked on her victory tour before the event of Labour seats she was going to win have been shattered - based on your message above, this has, obviously, hit you very hard.

Turning to your measured critique of the younger generation, I've alluded before on here to the fact that it's possible to see parallels between today's youngsters and the babyboomer generation. I would have thought that most historians would say that babyboomers' political views and commitment were a big factor behind the sixties being recognised as a decade when liberalism, tolerance and open mindedness flourished despite there being a very polarised society - it's too early to say whether we are on the brink of seeing the most politically motivated young generation in fifty years, but I'd say it's more likely now than it was this time last year.

If it does occur, then I sincerely hope that the same thing doesn't happen to today's sixteen to twenty four year olds as happened to the babyboomers because they are part of a "grey vote" that, if the polls are to be believed, are turning more reactionary and closed minded by the year.

At 61, one of the differences between how I think now and how I thought ten years ago is that I'm increasingly aware of my own mortality, but there is another fear that eats away at me and that is that the day is getting ever closer when I go to sleep one night and find that I've turned into a selfish bigot when I wake up the following morning.

Of course, it would be wrong to make sweeping generalisations about old people in the way you have about today's youngsters. There are still very many pensioners who have carried the fire and beliefs of their youth into old age, but, based on my, admittedly limited, experience, there are far more who haven't.

I make a point of not discussing politics with many of the senior citizens I know because these people, who I certainly cannot say I dislike, have a tendency to launch into their best Alf Garnett impressions when the conversation turns to politics and, in particular, immigration.

No, give me the idealism and enthusiasm of youth over the cold hearted resentment of many of today's oldies when it comes to politics any day of the week.
    I remember the question time of leaders during the election and the gentlemen in their 60's frothing at the mouth in anger at what they perceived to be JC's unwillingness to launch a nuclear missile.

If I hear one more shit sound bite about 'making Britain great' or 'taking control of our borders ' .... 😔 😔

tbh how well off people are is of no interest to me, I judge people individually on their actions, I just thought the wall thing was funny that's why I posted it.
    Regardless of how much money you have you shouldn't leave your shit there for someone else to pick up imo.
    Agreed.

Feedback

What is Corbyn's way and what are the other ways?
    If you look in each party's manifesto you will see how they each want to approach a given problem. As far as I see it they all look to achieve the same end result using different methods. There is more than one way to skin a cat etc etc

I think you're talking total crap when it comes to Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott, but you do have a point about Ron Skinner. Without doubt he is the most dangerous car salesman called Skinner in Tredegar!

http://www.ronskinnerandsons.co.uk

Blog Entries

I'm just gobsmacked by that, so age turns people in to selfish bigots? but we mustn't make sweeping generalisations about them or talk to them about politics in case they say something we don't want to hear, after all they are just all cold hearted and full of resentment, who cares what they think?

I think it's absolutely disgraceful the way elderly people are treated in this country, it got particularly worse over brexit, the view seemed to be that all the oldies wont be around so who gives a stuff what their views are on it, never mind the fact that many of them will have lost loved ones fighting in wars for this country, never mind that they have paid in to the system their whole lives only to be told they are selfish and a burden by some youngsters who's only idea of living through hard times is their phone running out of battery, I think it's shameful tbh.

I'm just gobsmacked by that, so age turns people in to selfish bigots? but we mustn't make sweeping generalisations about them or talk to them about politics in case they say something we don't want to hear, after all they are just all cold hearted and full of resentment, who cares what they think?

I think it's absolutely disgraceful the way elderly people are treated in this country, it got particularly worse over brexit, the view seemed to be that all the oldies wont be around so who gives a stuff what their views are on it, never mind the fact that many of them will have lost loved ones fighting in wars for this country, never mind that they have paid in to the system their whole lives only to be told they are selfish and a burden by some youngsters who's only idea of living through hard times is their phone running out of battery, I think it's shameful tbh.
    very well said

Lots of clichés.

Youngsters think old people are wrong and show them disrespect. Older people think youngsters are wrong and show them disrespect (as you have proved in this thread). Am I missing something, hasn't this always been the case?

I know lots of old people whose views I respect (some I disagree with) and a few whose views I don't respect.

You think the victim of the last few years is old people? Not disabled people being subjected to disgusting assessments? Not people subjected to racial hatred after the referendum? Not people whose lives become harder and harder as wages stall while the state pension rises? Oh wait the youngsters only hard time is when their phone runs out of battery right? Speak when your spoken to.

If I was talking about old people in general terms you'd be right to say what you did, but I wasn't - it was hardly as if I was advocating euthanasia for anyone reaching seventy five. What I was saying was that when it comes to politics, I've found that the selfish bigot quota is higher in older people than it is in younger ones.

I don't like using this term, but you have taken a portion of what I said and in doing so removed it from the context it was posted in. Also, yes I do try to avoid talking politics with some of the senior citizens I know and one of the reasons for that is that I don't like what they have to say on the subject, but, just as important in most instances, is that I don't want to fall out with someone that I regard as a friend.

Blog Entries

Lots of clichés.

Youngsters think old people are wrong and show them disrespect. Older people think youngsters are wrong and show them disrespect (as you have proved in this thread). Am I missing something, hasn't this always been the case?

I know lots of old people whose views I respect (some I disagree with) and a few whose views I don't respect.

You think the victim of the last few years is old people? Not disabled people being subjected to disgusting assessments? Not people subjected to racial hatred after the referendum? Not people whose lives become harder and harder as wages stall while the state pension rises? Oh wait the youngsters only hard time is when their phone runs out of battery right? Speak when your spoken to.
    I didn't say that young people are not entitled to an opinion, just that old people are entitled to one too, everyone has a right to an opinion if I like the opinion or not.

Is this about finding the biggest victim or are we talking about old people?

If I was talking about old people in general terms you'd be right to say what you did, but I wasn't - it was hardly as if I was advocating euthanasia for anyone reaching seventy five. What I was saying was that when it comes to politics, I've found that the selfish bigot quota is higher in older people than it is in younger ones.

I don't like using this term, but you have taken a portion of what I said and in doing so removed it from the context it was posted in. Also, yes I do try to avoid talking politics with some of the senior citizens I know and one of the reasons for that is that I don't like what they have to say on the subject, but, just as important in most instances, is that I don't want to fall out with someone that I regard as a friend.
    Sorry, I kept the bits I was talking about just so I didn't forget what I was trying to say, I wasn't trying to make it look out of context.

You said "but there is another fear that eats away at me and that is that the day is getting ever closer when I go to sleep one night and find that I've turned into a selfish bigot when I wake up the following morning." How is that possible if you are not suggesting that being a selfish bigot comes with old age?

I can also see that you would not want to fall out with people but that also suggests that you think they are all wrong anyway, my dad has many views that I don't agree with but I will never stop talking to him about it.

Feedback

Are your friendships strong enough such that you can hold differing viewpoints?

I believe that you have the wrong end of the stick feller.

I have nothing but respect for older and wiser folk.

I was referring to Mays' public appearances during her recent 'Election Campaign (we are led to believe that is what she was trying to do) where she seemed to arrive in a bus with a selection of carefully selected oldies / safe ol' Tory flagwavers.

Absolute opposite of Cobyn's spontaneous crowds.

Then you get personal against me, not that I mind that at all. It reinforces your 'type' really.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I believe that you have the wrong end of the stick feller.

I have nothing but respect for older and wiser folk.

I was referring to Mays' public appearances during her recent 'Election Campaign (we are led to believe that is what she was trying to do) where she seemed to arrive in a bus with a selection of carefully selected oldies / safe ol' Tory flagwavers.

Absolute opposite of Cobyn's spontaneous crowds.

Then you get personal against me, not that I mind that at all. It reinforces your 'type' really.
    Whilst it wasn't as contrived as the Tories and May, Corbyn and Labour also staged many 'crowds'

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Whilst it wasn't as contrived as the Tories and May, Corbyn and Labour also staged many 'crowds'
    I heard they were bribed by the offer of a more than 7p breakfast for their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Are your friendships strong enough such that you can hold differing viewpoints?
    Well, that's what I decided in two specific examples of people who I've known for decades and had never had a cross word with before the Referendum - I still regard them as friends. On the other hand, there was one person who I did not know quite as well who I'll be civil with now, but I'm always looking to end the conversation early because, even a year after the vote, I know he'll start banging on about his hard line views on Brexit and immigration soon - the funny thing is that he never used to talk about immigration before the Referendum was called.

I didn't say that young people are not entitled to an opinion, just that old people are entitled to one too, everyone has a right to an opinion if I like the opinion or not.

Is this about finding the biggest victim or are we talking about old people?

Sorry, I kept the bits I was talking about just so I didn't forget what I was trying to say, I wasn't trying to make it look out of context.

You said "but there is another fear that eats away at me and that is that the day is getting ever closer when I go to sleep one night and find that I've turned into a selfish bigot when I wake up the following morning." How is that possible if you are not suggesting that being a selfish bigot comes with old age?

I can also see that you would not want to fall out with people but that also suggests that you think they are all wrong anyway, my dad has many views that I don't agree with but I will never stop talking to him about it.
    I've always said that not every one who voted Leave was a racist (in fact I'd say the large majority weren't), but there are people on both sides of the argument who hold bigoted views. I daresay that some read what I say about politics on here and think I'm a bigot, but I can at least say that I've held the views I hold now all of my life and, unless there is a process whereby you suddenly change your political views when you reach a certain age, I'll have them until I die.

This leads me on to the bit of what I said that you did not address. I always think that it's a bit hypocritical when people who are old enough to have lived through the sixties and early seventies as teenagers or young adults have a go at today's youngsters for their political activism. This is almost always aimed at those who are supporting left wing causes and parties and, in very many cases, conveniently ignores the fact those kids are only doing exactly the same things as they were getting up to fifty years ago - all of the polling evidence strongly supports the view that the older range of the voting spectrum are right wing by a large majority, but I'm practically certain that any survey of the babyboomer generation taken between, say, 1965 and 1970 would have produced a completely different conclusion.

Regarding your last paragraph. More than any election I can remember, the EU referendum caused friends, family members and other acquaintances to fall out. Around this time last year, there were plenty of media stories about sons and daughters not talking to their parents because of their differing opinions on Brexit. I've also read some recent stories where people who had fallen out badly were now getting along better because they'd agreed to disagree - that's what people tend to do when they have profound differences on a subject. In the case of me avoiding political conversations with the senior citizens I talked about, all I'm doing is acknowledging that they aren't going to change my opinions, and, given the force with which they argue on the subject, I'm certainly not going to change theirs.

Feedback

Bob

Just my opinion but I reckon the younger generation are far more idealised - I know I certainly was - than the older generation.

As you get older you become more of a realist about the world around you. I would say the older generation want more stability and certainty rather than radical change. That is perfectly understandable given the lack of career options as you age, which comes with a lack of earning potential. I don't find that looking after yourself and thinking how you are going manage when you are passed working age as selfish at all. Not everyone has a bullet proof public sector pension that they can rely on - a pension that can provide a certain level of certainty and consistency that you enjoy.

The baby boomers you refer to have an inordinate amount of the nation's wealth held in property and investments such as final salary pensions. By voting the way they do they are voting to maintain their own wealth and living standards and given they don't have much in the way of enhanced earning potential I alluded to earlier it shouldn't seem that surprising that they vote in the way they do.

Blog Entries

I've always said that not every one who voted Leave was a racist (in fact I'd say the large majority weren't), but there are people on both sides of the argument who hold bigoted views. I daresay that some read what I say about politics on here and think I'm a bigot, but I can at least say that I've held the views I hold now all of my life and, unless there is a process whereby you suddenly change your political views when you reach a certain age, I'll have them until I die.

This leads me on to the bit of what I said that you did not address. I always think that it's a bit hypocritical when people who are old enough to have lived through the sixties and early seventies as teenagers or young adults have a go at today's youngsters for their political activism. This is almost always aimed at those who are supporting left wing causes and parties and, in very many cases, conveniently ignores the fact those kids are only doing exactly the same things as they were getting up to fifty years ago - all of the polling evidence strongly supports the view that the older range of the voting spectrum are right wing by a large majority, but I'm practically certain that any survey of the babyboomer generation taken between, say, 1965 and 1970 would have produced a completely different conclusion.

Regarding your last paragraph. More than any election I can remember, the EU referendum caused friends, family members and other acquaintances to fall out. Around this time last year, there were plenty of media stories about sons and daughters not talking to their parents because of their differing opinions on Brexit. I've also read some recent stories where people who had fallen out badly were now getting along better because they'd agreed to disagree - that's what people tend to do when they have profound differences on a subject. In the case of me avoiding political conversations with the senior citizens I talked about, all I'm doing is acknowledging that they aren't going to change my opinions, and, given the force with which they argue on the subject, I'm certainly not going to change theirs.
    Thanks for explaining that, I certainly don't see you as a bigot for a start, you come across as a nice person to me.
    I guess holding the same political views all of your life is good thing if you firmly believe and understand those views from the start, I clearly didn't as my views have changed a lot over the last ten years, I've grown up a bit and gathered much more information so I see things differently now, I don't think that's a bad thing either.

I think I'm at the age where I'm stuck between the two, on one hand I have my dad who is a bit of a racist (which I obviously don't like) but he talks a lot of sense about other things, on the other hand I have my daughter who is 24 who has a completely unrealistic view on life, she has no idea of what she is voting for or what the consequences or her vote might be, she thinks she has forever to change the world and worry about her future but we all know that comes around much quicker than you imagine, I can't knock her for that though as I was her at one time.

It's just an endless cycle that I doubt will ever change.