+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City sign keeper Lee Camp

City sign keeper Lee Camp

Breaking news

Re: City sign keeper Lee Camp

Our most predictable signing of the summer I reckon - another "underwhelming" Warnock signing, but I think he'll be our first choice keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Breaking news
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...eeper-13197134

Neil Warnock has made Lee Camp Cardiff City's new No.1 after snapping up the former Derby and Forest stopper on a free.

Camp becomes the Bluebirds' fourth new signing of the summer following the arrival of Bosman trio Neil Etheridge, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Callum Paterson.

And it is thought he will be boss Warnock's first-choice keeper, though will have to battle it out with Walsall capture Etheridge and exisiting back-up Brian Murphy.

The arrival of the 32-year-old from the Millers – where he worked with Warnock in the 2015/16 season – spells the end of any bid to bring back Allan McGregor to Cardiff City Stadium.

Cardiff City's three goalkeepers, Ben Wilson, Brian Murphy and Ben Amos

McGregor spent five months in South Wales on loan from Hull and, after a unsteady start as he returned to action from injury, won praise from Warnock for his experience and influence.

Yet he had already suggested the Scotland international's wages would block any permanent deal and already had Camp in mind as a summer addition.

Camp has made close to 500 senior appearances since his debut with Derby 15 years ago, while also winning nine caps for Northern Ireland.

As well as permanent stints at QPR, Norwich and West Brom, he will be perhaps best known by Bluebirds fan for his time at Forest during promotion tussles between the sides, while also won a Premier League promotion as part of Eddie Howe's Bournemouth team in 2015.

He moved to Rotherham after that success, playing 41 times as the Millers avoided relegation under Warnock and was recommended to the Yorkshireman by his goalkeeping coach Andy Dibble, who followed the 68-year-old from the New York Stadium to South Wales.

It gives Cardiff fresh options between the sticks and is another piece of the jigsaw for Warnock as he builds a squad for what is hoped to be a push on the play-offs for the coming campaign.

Warnock singled out the size of 27-year-old Etheridge and his form at Walsall having struggled to breakthrough at Fulham as a youngster as having 'something his other keepers didn't' while was not afraid in giving credit to Murphy for his performances when called upon last term, always adamant the Irishman would stay at the club.

Ben Wilson, who was loaned out to Rochdale last term, is expected to be moved, the 24-year-old still having a year left to run on his Cardiff contract. Cardiff sold two keepers last term – Simon Moore and long-serving No.1 David Marshall – while Ben Amos was drafted in on loan from Bolton but failed to convince Warnock.

he is a steady enough keeper, nothing outstanding, but does the job

happy with that

Could have been worse & signed Paddy Kenny.

Banned

Tidy keeper

So where does this leave Ben Wilson? He will be 25 by the time the new season arrives so surely he will be on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    So where does this leave Ben Wilson? He will be 25 by the time the new season arrives so surely he will be on the move.
    It isn't going to be easy for him. He isn't wanted at Cardiff and hasn't pulled up any trees on loan (AFC Wimbledon 2015 and Rochdale last season). In fact left the first under a cloud after arrogant tweets, and for the second ended up warming the bench! This could be a candidate for paying up part of the contract and parting company now.

Chants for next season :

" You're Camp and you know you are ". Never sign players who are hostages
    to their names.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Chants for next season :

" You're Camp and you know you are ". Never sign players who are hostages
    to their names.
    'He's Welsh and he's electric! Leek Amp, Leek Amp!'

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'He's Welsh and he's electric! Leek Amp, Leek Amp!'
    Tan has got his goalscoring keeper at last

Hope he does well for us but I.ve always considered him an obnoxious prick. I remember him getting Chops sent off at QPR and strutting around like a right prima donna. Can't say I.m excited or thrilled with him becoming a bluebird.

Decent keeper and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Hope he does well for us but I.ve always considered him an obnoxious prick. I remember him getting Chops sent off at QPR and strutting around like a right prima donna. Can't say I.m excited or thrilled with him becoming a bluebird.
    ^^^^

Always a keeper who's goaded our fans which is fair enough I suppose.

Not a fan but decent enough if not outstanding,as long as he does a job I suppose

First Ledley's hair (or lack of), and now Camp's new hairstyle is causing shockwaves:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/former...ail/story.html

We really need to get the follicle compliance part of the club's scouting sorted out.

Happy with this. Experienced championship keeper with international experience, on a free transfer.

The way some fans react you would swear we are in the market for Pickford or De Gea.

I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt here and say we've been a bit unlucky with keepers. We kept Joe Lewis here for four years and Simon Moore for three but neither could break into the team because of David Marshall. We finally released Lewis last June and he went on to make the Scottish PFA team of the season with Aberdeen. We sold Moore in August and he went on to make the PFA League One team of the season with Sheffield United. Having moved them both on we then decided to sell Marshall later that August which has put Warnock in the position of having to find two new players in a position we had completely covered only a year ago. Like I said, probably just unlucky but it feels like we've missed a trick here.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt here and say we've been a bit unlucky with keepers. We kept Joe Lewis here for four years and Simon Moore for three but neither could break into the team because of David Marshall. We finally released Lewis last June and he went on to make the Scottish PFA team of the season with Aberdeen. We sold Moore in August and he went on to make the PFA League One team of the season with Sheffield United. Having moved them both on we then decided to sell Marshall later that August which has put Warnock in the position of having to find two new players in a position we had completely covered only a year ago. Like I said, probably just unlucky but it feels like we've missed a trick here.
    Perhaps unlucky but we have gone from Marshall, Simon Moore and Ben Wilson to 27 year old, 32 year old and 34 year old. Maybe we're in a better position as Simon Moore looked like he had a bit of growing to do when deputising but we have lost out on that "home grown" keeper for the future.

Not going to turn up any trees with Rotherham rejects such as Camp, Halford and possibly Ward.

Banned

Goalies are much of a muchness one game they are great next game they are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our most predictable signing of the summer I reckon - another "underwhelming" Warnock signing, but I think he'll be our first choice keeper.
    He's a good keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not going to turn up any trees with Rotherham rejects such as Camp, Halford and possibly Ward.
    Marshall - Norwich.
    Hudson - Charlton.

Probably our best signings under Jones.

I've seen similar comments from the lunatics on facebook too.

Most alluding to the fact Rotherham were relegated with him in goal.

Too dumb to ascertain that this wasn't solely down to Camp, but also the other 10 players in front of him. The 10 in front of our keeper last season were a lot better than Rotherham's.

Get a grip and give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    I've seen similar comments from the lunatics on facebook too.

Most alluding to the fact Rotherham were relegated with him in goal.

Too dumb to ascertain that this wasn't solely down to Camp, but also the other 10 players in front of him. The 10 in front of our keeper last season were a lot better than Rotherham's.

Get a grip and give him a chance.
    Didn't Everton just spend £25m on a relegated 'keeper?

Forest supporting mate of mine says he's​ very dependable, won't suddenly have a howler, and is good at organising the defence and is very vocal.
    However he doesn't pull off many difficult saves, and there a often​ a nagging doubt about some goals as to whether he could have done better.