+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reforms to the game

Reforms to the game

Re: Reforms to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    in a word no.

far too much tinkering, 60 out of 90 mins thats down to the refs, how many time have we seen time wasting from the first minute and yet the ref only books the keeper in the 90th.

Penalty - pish.

i`ll leave the other fanciful stuff for now.

Whatever happened to four quarters, bigger goals, sin bins, shoulder pads and more advertising?

Some good stuff there. Van Basten is behind a lot of this in his role at FIFA and, just as Cruyff brought a lot of coaching ideas from the sport, he's another Dutchman taking some good initiatives from field hockey. The self-pass rule is excellent, it helps the game to flow and stops players from arguing with the ref at every decision as the game moves on instantly. May not be quite as effective in football but definitely worth experimenting with. I've mentioned the rule about penalties on here before, it's ridiculous that a player can have his penalty brilliantly saved by the keeper but tap the rebound in for a goal. How many goes does he want at it? The timekeeping rule has its merits too, that's another idea largely taken from hockey.

Hockey already has video referrals and also has sin bins, rolling subs, shuffles instead of penalty shoot-outs (one on ones with the keeper from 25 yards out) and no offside. Be ready for some, if not all, of these to be suggested soon too.

Football is the world's most popular spectator sport, it is a multi-billion dollar industry. It's stars are as famous as politicians worldwide. So, yes, the game is completely broke and needs complete fixing. FFS.

If the game becomes 60 minutes long, with a stopped clock whenever the ball goes out of play, it will be impossible to have matches that start at the same time to finish at the same time.

The other law changes are not worth discussing because they are purely ridiculous.

Strippers at halftime

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Some good stuff there. Van Basten is behind a lot of this in his role at FIFA and, just as Cruyff brought a lot of coaching ideas from the sport, he's another Dutchman taking some good initiatives from field hockey. The self-pass rule is excellent, it helps the game to flow and stops players from arguing with the ref at every decision as the game moves on instantly. May not be quite as effective in football but definitely worth experimenting with. I've mentioned the rule about penalties on here before, it's ridiculous that a player can have his penalty brilliantly saved by the keeper but tap the rebound in for a goal. How many goes does he want at it? The timekeeping rule has its merits too, that's another idea largely taken from hockey.

Hockey already has video referrals and also has sin bins, rolling subs, shuffles instead of penalty shoot-outs (one on ones with the keeper from 25 yards out) and no offside. Be ready for some, if not all, of these to be suggested soon too.
    The penalty rule is not ridiculous. It has been in place since the 1880s. It's worked for 130 years or more.

This stopping the clock nonsense sounds suspiciously like a USA proposal.
    We'll be going to adverts every 5 minutes.

The only change "Kris" doesn't fear is the one to his own username every few months

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The only change "Kris" doesn't fear is the one to his own username every few months

You'll have "Nick" onto you in minute

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You'll have "Nick" onto you in minute
    Ah yes, "Nick". Not at all suspicious.

I'm not sure I agree about the penalties. They are technically special free kicks and just like FKs play begins again once the kick is taken. Maybe they could have a rule that the penalty taker can't touch the ball after a save, like when it rebounds off the woodwork.

Load of shite

I would love a sin bin for cynical fouls, these are so frustrating late on in a game where getting a yellow means nothing. I think clearing up the handball rule is positive too, ask 10 different people and get 10 different definitions.

Oh look, everyone is discussing something and you are feeling left out so join with something pointless and a petty accusation. ASW.

Ah yes, "Nick". Not at all suspicious.
    So I am Nick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'm not sure I agree about the penalties. They are technically special free kicks and just like FKs play begins again once the kick is taken. Maybe they could have a rule that the penalty taker can't touch the ball after a save, like when it rebounds off the woodwork.
    That doesn't make sense either. What problem does this rule change fix?

Absolutely NOT. This will surely only encourage more time wasting,

Hockey ffs. I dont think football needs to learn any lessons from a watered down shinty.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Absolutely NOT. This will surely only encourage more time wasting,
    I agree. It would add some "drama" to a penalty, I guess, but I fail to see what problems these rule changes fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Oh look, everyone is discussing something and you are feeling left out so join with something pointless and a petty accusation. ASW.
    your jerger

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hockey ffs. I dont think football needs to learn any lessons from a watered down shinty.
    Mind you - look at how popular hockey is. Can't move for it on TV these days.

your jerger
    And you're a jerk off. Run along fat boy, the grown ups are talking about rule changes.

Mind you - look at how popular hockey is. Can't move for it on TV these days.
    Plus there's equality issues. I don't know amy straight person, male or female, who plays hockey.

And you're a jerk off. Run along fat boy, the grown ups are talking about rule changes.
    Will you still have the same user name by the end of the thread though?