+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY tips

Re: NY tips

I would not go up the statue of liberty.

It is cramped, basically a nightmare. Endless spiral staircase, queues near the top aswell.

Not only that it moves.

And the view at the top is dreadful.

It is a great photo opportunity at the bottom on the outside though.

Other than that I'd recomment Katz deli (have pastrami on rye, everything else was a bit "meh".)

And ice skating in central park.

Go to the Rockefeller building instead of the Empire State Building. You'll get an iconic photo of the ESB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Go to the Rockefeller building instead of the Empire State Building. You'll get an iconic photo of the ESB.
    I agree with this one. Views to the south of the Empire State building. Views to the north of Central Park.

You can buy the tickets online before you go.

Also, visit the Soup Nazi if you can, but make sure you follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    cheers, I personally do not really fancy NY to be honest, just my oldest wants to go, the wife thinks it will be a bit of a change ( i dont really like change if i am honest LOL )

looking at Statue of Liberty, Broadway, Times square, Ground zero, empire state, central park, thats about it, unless i have missed anything obvious, I guess Ellis Island ? ? ?

I guess we need a hotel on Manhattan itself ? ? ?
    Hot and busy

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Hot and busy
    I think that goes without saying. You don't come here to relax.

I thought this was a thread about a new US snooker franchise

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    I thought this was a thread about a new US snooker franchise
    I was hoping for tea bags!

Save your money on flights and just go to London for 3 days.

Hmmm sea air museum, i love them type of things, it could well go on the list, cheers
    Did you ever watch Will Smith in "I am Legend" ? In one scene he's hitting golf balls off the deck of the carrier. You can explore the carrier itself, lots of different planes on the hardtop and when I was there they had a Concorde as well. You can also get inside the growler

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

The New York Public Library is worth a quick gander and don't forget to visit Grand Central.

Make sure you get to Central Park - if you're a fan, you might want to see the John Lennon memorial.

You can also have a look around Donald Trump's gaff on 5th Avenue - don't let the SWAT team and airport like security put you off, although apart from a nice waterfall, lot's of marble and gold and a Starbucks, there's not much going on there, but worth a tick in the box. Next door is Tiffany's and just up the road on the corner of 5th and Central Park South is the Apple Store, also worth a look.

You could probably save a few bucks staying on Brooklyn, but I'd rather be on Manhattan.

cheers, I personally do not really fancy NY to be honest, just my oldest wants to go, the wife thinks it will be a bit of a change ( i dont really like change if i am honest LOL )

looking at Statue of Liberty, Broadway, Times square, Ground zero, empire state, central park, thats about it, unless i have missed anything obvious, I guess Ellis Island ? ? ?

I guess we need a hotel on Manhattan itself ? ? ?
    Nothing really to see at ground zero I felt it wasted a morning ,however a quick look indie the church nearby was worth it and then onto the small pub where the firefighters pictures are shown behind the bar ,great little NYC down to earth bar , very sad feelings in both, it will upset you, depends what you after , hence me having a few beers after in the pub that lost so many , glad we have moved on since that tragedy.

Nice cheapy about 4ish take the Staten Island free ferry over to the island with the workers going home after work , then come back as the sun is going down over NYC , don't take the paid for ones .

Around Times square there is a massive Marriott go up to the top of it ,you have to change lifts, go the top bar which rotates around the city every 45 minutes .

If your into music go to the Bowery http://www.boweryballroom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nothing really to see at ground zero I felt it wasted a morning ,however a quick look indie the church nearby was worth it and then onto the small pub where the firefighters pictures are shown behind the bar ,great little NYC down to earth bar , very sad feelings in both, it will upset you, depends what you after , hence me having a few beers after in the pub that lost so many , glad we have moved on since that tragedy.

Nice cheapy about 4ish take the Staten Island free ferry over to the island with the workers going home after work , then come back as the sun is going down over NYC , don't take the paid for ones .

Around Times square there is a massive Marriott go up to the top of it ,you have to change lifts, go the top bar which rotates around the city every 45 minutes .

If your into music go to the Bowery http://www.boweryballroom.com/
    That's the one I stayed at, the revolving restaurant was reasonably priced (for New York) "only" $90 a head

I wouldn't bother as I'm sure Trump is adding Wales to his travel ban right now..

cheers all

might stay in the Marriott TH mentions, as i said, we own at Marriott Vacation club and the brand is always a safe bet

noted about the ferry and ESB / Rockefeller , i will speak to the family about that dilemma, i dont personally care, its a massive building that has views ( i havent embraced this NY trip yet )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Did you ever watch Will Smith in "I am Legend" ? In one scene he's hitting golf balls off the deck of the carrier. You can explore the carrier itself, lots of different planes on the hardtop and when I was there they had a Concorde as well. You can also get inside the growler

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

The New York Public Library is worth a quick gander and don't forget to visit Grand Central.

Make sure you get to Central Park - if you're a fan, you might want to see the John Lennon memorial.

You can also have a look around Donald Trump's gaff on 5th Avenue - don't let the SWAT team and airport like security put you off, although apart from a nice waterfall, lot's of marble and gold and a Starbucks, there's not much going on there, but worth a tick in the box. Next door is Tiffany's and just up the road on the corner of 5th and Central Park South is the Apple Store, also worth a look.

You could probably save a few bucks staying on Brooklyn, but I'd rather be on Manhattan.
    Yeah seen I am legend, good film.

I've went there in 2007 for 4 nights.
    The intrepid was on my list, central park zoo ESB , ground zero and walk over Brooklyn bridge.
    The bloody intrepid was closed for refurbishment when I was there.

Banned

Matt we went up the ESB about a hour before it closed at night.
    About 5 mins of queing at that time.

I went in October 07.

Other tips not mentioned - with all the walking it was boiling in the day, as soon as the sun went down tho it was bloody Baltic. Bear in mind the skyscrapers are huge, so you're in the sun when in central park, statue of liberty etc.

Subway is best way around city, the travel is cheap.
    I didn't ride the subway at Night, not because of safety but because of my third tip below

With the time difference and all the day trips , we were zonked by late afternoon early evening.
    I was up at 4 every morning, waiting for breakfast at 7. Keep some munchies in the room

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Matt we went up the ESB about a hour before it closed at night.
    About 5 mins of queing at that time.

I went in October 07.

Other tips not mentioned - with all the walking it was boiling in the day, as soon as the sun went down tho it was bloody Baltic. Bear in mind the skyscrapers are huge, so you're in the sun when in central park, statue of liberty etc.

Subway is best way around city, the travel is cheap.
    I didn't ride the subway at Night, not because of safety but because of my third tip below

With the time difference and all the day trips , we were zonked by late afternoon early evening.
    I was up at 4 every morning, waiting for breakfast at 7. Keep some munchies in the room
    cheers mate

it is normal for us to be up and out at 5am for the first 3 mornings in the US, gives us time to have a wander and a breakie before the day starts

cheers mate

it is normal for us to be up and out at 5am for the first 3 mornings in the US, gives us time to have a wander and a breakie before the day starts
    Pain in the arse in Florida when everything's shut, but in New York, you're not going to have to look far to find somewhere for breakfast, plus you can get a bit of a head start on the rest of the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Pain in the arse in Florida when everything's shut, but in New York, you're not going to have to look far to find somewhere for breakfast, plus you can get a bit of a head start on the rest of the tourists.
    you are right, in most of the disney hotels the food quick service places tend to open at 6am

Loved New York when we went 2 years ago. Search back on this board for other NY threads, theres been a few really informative ones in the past. NYC Blue always has some good tips.

We bought a CITYPASS before we went on reccomendations from here and it was deffinitley worth it.

We stayed on Times Square - Hotel Mela - Nice and clean hotel, no thrills but safe.

we visited

* Empire State
    * Rockerfella
    * Intrepid air musem
    * 911 memorial
    * Boat down the hudson, past statue of liberty and under brooklyn bridge.
    * Central Park

We went xmas time so all the usual macy's, saks on fith etc were an experience too.

We stayed for five days and still felt like we could do another five days and see totally different things, so much to see.

While feeling totally safe on the subway, some of the rides can be a real eye opener, some crazy sights on them.

Offbeat but well worth it is to book in advance for the Tenement Museum tour. Three floors preserved as they were when different families lived there. It tells the history of NY. Fascinating

Quote Originally Posted by Leggys dad View Post
    Offbeat but well worth it is to book in advance for the Tenement Museum tour. Three floors preserved as they were when different families lived there. It tells the history of NY. Fascinating
    I've actually always fancied doing this myself. I used to live a couple of blocks from the Tenement Museum.

Ohhh now that sounds interesting, love the homes through the ages in St fagans :) also they used to have one down weymouth way

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Q View Post
    Loved New York when we went 2 years ago. Search back on this board for other NY threads, theres been a few really informative ones in the past. NYC Blue always has some good tips.

We bought a CITYPASS before we went on reccomendations from here and it was deffinitley worth it.

We stayed on Times Square - Hotel Mela - Nice and clean hotel, no thrills but safe.

we visited

* Empire State
    * Rockerfella
    * Intrepid air musem
    * 911 memorial
    * Boat down the hudson, past statue of liberty and under brooklyn bridge.
    * Central Park

We went xmas time so all the usual macy's, saks on fith etc were an experience too.

We stayed for five days and still felt like we could do another five days and see totally different things, so much to see.

While feeling totally safe on the subway, some of the rides can be a real eye opener, some crazy sights on them.
    cheers, i did search, but nothing came back, as the search criteria is too small

Alternatively, save a few quid and visit a tower block in London