+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY tips

NY tips

Going to book up a 3 night break to NY for the family ( might fly somewhere else aswell for a few nights, but not sure yet ) , most prob close to the end of the summer school holidays

i know a few have mentioned they have been

any tips, places to stay etc etc

Re: NY tips

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    nice , even has a few Veggie items

going to see a broadway show aswell, so thats on the list

Trouble is 3 days is not enough, you could spend a week or more and not see everything, I isolated a day and decided to randomly walk down Broadway into Greenwich Village,stopping at pubs , quick snack eateries, the odd shop.

Use Air BnB.

Don't eat or drink in Times Square.

Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Trouble is 3 days is not enough, you could spend a week or more and not see everything, I isolated a day and decided to randomly walk down Broadway into Greenwich Village,stopping at pubs , quick snack eateries, the odd shop.

cheers, I personally do not really fancy NY to be honest, just my oldest wants to go, the wife thinks it will be a bit of a change ( i dont really like change if i am honest LOL )

looking at Statue of Liberty, Broadway, Times square, Ground zero, empire state, central park, thats about it, unless i have missed anything obvious, I guess Ellis Island ? ? ?

I guess we need a hotel on Manhattan itself ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    cheers, I personally do not really fancy NY to be honest, just my oldest wants to go, the wife thinks it will be a bit of a change ( i dont really like change if i am honest LOL )

looking at Statue of Liberty, Broadway, Times square, Ground zero, empire state, central park, thats about it, unless i have missed anything obvious, I guess Ellis Island ? ? ?

What about something like this? Get a local to show you around and something different from the usual tourist spots. Haven't used it but heard about it from somebody who is planning something similar.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/New-York-...s_tag=vZkvhIJU

If you're going to the US of A have you thought of a detour to Disneyland?

Whilst you're in New York you should look into the fascinating story of how Long Island got its name.

How old is your son/daughter? What are they interested in? You could stay in Brooklyn, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not going to be comfortable taking the subway as most of what you listed is in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How old is your son/daughter? What are they interested in? You could stay in Brooklyn, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not going to be comfortable taking the subway as most of what you listed is in Manhattan.
    2 daughters one will be 15 and the other 10

oldest is into Sports and Drama / performing arts

youngest into Sports and Music

We wouldnt mind the subway, heard its pretty Safe, talking of the Subway, i fancy a trip to Coney Island, due to the warriors, but that might just be me, so i guess will be first to fall of the list

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If you're going to the US of A have you thought of a detour to Disneyland?
    you wouldnt get me to LA, been once, that was enough

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Whilst you're in New York you should look into the fascinating story of how Long Island got its name.
    Its ok, My great great great uncle once shared a Ham roll with some guy who once had a mead with some bloke who fixed Peter Hallock's roof

surprised i hadnt mentioned that

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    What about something like this? Get a local to show you around and something different from the usual tourist spots. Haven't used it but heard about it from somebody who is planning something similar.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/New-York-...s_tag=vZkvhIJU
    looks interesting, think the girls are looking forward to the normal tourist stuff though

You need to clear some of your messages Matt . I can't send you a reply .
    Florida is better Disney World is a great place I hear ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    You need to clear some of your messages Matt . I can't send you a reply .
    Florida is better Disney World is a great place I hear ..
    Cleared them Jimmy

Florida you say

Use Air BnB.

Walk.
    I thought short term lets were illegal in Manhattan?

Ive stayed at the New Yorker (twice), the Marriott Times Square and the Waldorf Astoria, all good and all different. Waldorf is classier, but a bit away from the touristy stuff (Central Park not far away though), the New Yorker is in a slightly edgier area, I'd probably recommend Times Square though.

I prefer the Rockefeller centre to the Empire State personally, less busy, just as good views, plus you get to see the top of the ESB.

States Island ferry is good, its free, you get to go pretty close to the Statue of Liberty, whe you get to Staten Island, just get on the next ferry back.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Ive stayed at the New Yorker (twice), the Marriott Times Square and the Waldorf Astoria, all good and all different. Waldorf is classier, but a bit away from the touristy stuff (Central Park not far away though), the New Yorker is in a slightly edgier area, I'd probably recommend Times Square though.

I prefer the Rockefeller centre to the Empire State personally, less busy, just as good views, plus you get to see the top of the ESB.

States Island ferry is good, its free, you get to go pretty close to the Statue of Liberty, whe you get to Staten Island, just get on the next ferry back.
    cheers

the Girls like the Marriott, we own vacation club with them so its a comfortable choice

Rockefeller doesnt have the same " ring to it " as the Empire state though, i have to think about oldest daughter and " selfies and check-in's " at places LOL

cheers for the tip on the ferry

book tickets before we go for all the attractions / broadway show ? ? ? or do it through concierge at the hotel ? ? ?

Use Air BnB.

Walk.
    cheers, i missed this thread

I mentioned AirBnB to the family for a stop over in Toronto, they looked horrified at me, the thought of not staying in a hotel just didnt go down well

I've mentioned in several other threads (and I'd be interested to see how many agree) but in my opinion the Statue of Liberty is a waste of time, my best advice would be to take the ferry there to get a close up view and just come right back.

I've mentioned in several other threads (and I'd be interested to see how many agree) but in my opinion the Statue of Liberty is a waste of time, my best advice would be to take the ferry there to get a close up view and just come right back.
    I went to Ellis island, very interesting place and the ferry goes right past the statue.

Banned

If you haven't got digs yet, we stayed in the skyline hotel 49th street 10th avenue i think.

Go to the sea air museum on the aircraft carrier on the Hudson.
    I'm not sure if one of space shuttles are housed there now

TH63 mentioned it above, sounds good enough for me, the girls do not really want to go up, so a ferry will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I went to Ellis island, very interesting place and the ferry goes right past the statue.
    I fancy Ellis island, so its on the list

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    If you haven't got digs yet, we stayed in the skyline hotel 49th street 10th avenue i think.

Go to the sea air museum on the aircraft carrier on the Hudson.
    I'm not sure if one of space shuttles are housed there now
    walkable to all the some of attractions ? ? ?

Hmmm sea air museum, i love them type of things, it could well go on the list, cheers