+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Never liked Barclays.............................

Never liked Barclays.............................

after their connections with Apartheid South Africa, wonder how serious this will be for them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40338220

Re: Never liked Barclays.............................

I do particularly hate Barclays mind for their involvement with First Plus loans.
    Scum, sub human scum

HSBC were done last year in the US for wittingly laundering billions of dollars worth of drugs and terrorist money. They had a corporate fine after Gideon intervened. He said lobbing their top execs in clink might trigger a "global financial disaster."

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    It wasnt just barclays, a lot of banks owned companies that used to act as their own investment company.
    There were many cases of those companies getting the bank to call in a loan and effectively bankrupting the business, then as if by magic the banks 'investment' company would call the business and offer to buy at a knock down rate.

The company owner would be compelled to sell in order to at least safe guard his employees jobs. Hey presto the loan would be extended - the profitable business would carry on - and the bank would have a very nice profitable asset.

My bank tried it on with me - they forgot to realise I am a 3 man team, I had a very small over draft and when they called me - they kept on saying they wanted to check my business was fit to benefit from future loans they wanted to reccommend me for -should I need them.

The lady concerned was promptly and politely told to F off - and if they want to contact me again - they need to make an appointment for which I would charge my usual hourly fee. Not heard from them again.

I do feel sorry for any small business that has been done over like this - and would happily kick any similar banker in the proverbial nuts
    We were done over like a kipper by them just over 20 years ago. Lying b***ards and a bunch of crooks

The last 16 years of English Premier League sponsorship has cost Barclays the thick end of £300 million, which ended last season.http://www.standard.co.uk/business/n...-a3250251.html

Well bit of a slap in the face of folk that say Tory governments dont pursue the rich or banks .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well bit of a slap in the face of folk that say Tory governments dont pursue the rich or banks .
    Yeah they only pursue the banks they are not lying in bed with

Most banks had to rely on the support of the government (using our money) during the financial crisis. Barclays was one of the few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Most banks had to rely on the support of the government (using our money) during the financial crisis. Barclays was one of the few exceptions.
    And now we know why.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And now we know why.
    The Labour government was in power at the time so I don't understand your point especially as the prosecution is taking place under a Tory regime. Sorry that the facts have got in the way of a popular story.

As I remember it, the Conservatives supported the bail out of the banks in 2008, so I wasn't looking make a party political point, more that, when offered help by the Government, Barclays instead opted to go into what would appear to have been a distinctly dodgy deal to raise the cash.

The banks that caused the crisis, and the governments in Japan, Iceland and America that allowed deregulation and CDO, CDS and marked subprime mortgages as AAA to take place are equally to blame. I saw it coming as I see the next economic crisis starting now, but this is just an aftershock after the '08 crapfest.

Very few bankers like Barclays have been prosecuted.