+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping upstairs cool

Keeping upstairs cool

How on earth is the bottom of the house like a fridge compared to upstairs. It's ridiculous.

Fans are shit. It's too hot outside for the windows to make any difference.

Might resort to sleeping in the bath with some ice cubes

Re: Keeping upstairs cool

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    How on earth is the bottom of the house like a fridge compared to upstairs. It's ridiculous.

Fans have always been shit. Heat rises fool.. hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Its Physics innit. Warm air rises - also known as the Stack Effect. Open windows at the bottom of the house and in the bedroom and leave doors open to allow the warm air to escape from the upstairs windows.

Spray your bedsheets with some cold water just before you get in

Didn't sleep well last night due to the heat so trying t have an early night tonight to make up for it but feels even hotter

Blog Entries

I say this every year, put your hot water bottle in the freezer and put your feet on it in bed, or a blue freezer pack will do.

Cold shower before bed helps - don't dry with a towel though, just stand about and wait.

Although at this heat, it's not long before it wears off.

I've spent most of today in just my pants - I did contemplate picking the missus up from work like it but decided against it just in case I had a crash. As soon as I got home I stripped back down though.

I'd recommend it to anyone - once a few people have seen you like it (postman, neighbours etc.) then it's quite easy to just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Its Physics innit. Warm air rises - also known as the Stack Effect. Open windows at the bottom of the house and in the bedroom and leave doors open to allow the warm air to escape from the upstairs windows.
    Yeah, it's ok for you living in Penarth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I say this every year, put your hot water bottle in the freezer and put your feet on it in bed, or a blue freezer pack will do.
    Yeah, it's ok for you living in Barry !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yeah, it's ok for you living in Barry !!
    Barrybados.

Turn the air conditioning on.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is the correct answer.
    We invested in one of those small portable air con units a few years back and it was money well spent.
    I slept like a baby last night

This requires a bit of planning, but works -

Get the largest container (open top) that you can fit into your freezer, and use it to freeze some water.
    Later...
    Take the container of ice upstairs and place it in a strategic position, so you can direct your fan so the air flow 'skims' the surface.

The ice, and later cold water, will cool the air which will be circulated round the room.

You can thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Is the correct answer.
    We invested in one of those small portable air con units a few years back and it was money well spent.
    I slept like a baby last night
    Yep

we got one from Focus DIY ( so that shows how long ago ) when youngest was a baby, we put it on the landing with the ( hot air ) hose running out the bathroom window, and whack it on full, the upstairs in nice and cool in about 1 hour, infact i slept under a quilt last night it got so cold

best £150 i spent, seen them at screwfix for about £250 now, still worth it for the odd hot spells we have

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    If warm air rises, why is the freezer section always at the top of the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    If warm air rises, why is the freezer section always at the top of the fridge?

I think you may have your fridge fitted upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Unlike you Trump worshippers, some parts of the world do consider the environment and our children/grandchildren

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    I think you may have your fridge fitted upside down.
    Ah, maybe. But why is it always colder on top of a mountain than at the bottom??

Air con car sleeping bag

Ah, maybe. But why is it always colder on top of a mountain than at the bottom??

I can only guess that skiing would be crap if it were the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    I can only guess that skiing would be crap if it were the other way around
    Makes sense now. Maybe that's why they have those snow-making machines then, to chuck cold snow on the top of a warm mountain. Got it.

Makes sense now. Maybe that's why they have those snow-making machines then, to chuck cold snow on the top of a warm mountain. Got it.

And when they forget to use the snow machines must be how volcano's are made. Seems like between us we have sussed it all

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Cold shower before bed helps - don't dry with a towel though, just stand about and wait.

I've spent most of today in just my pants - I did contemplate picking the missus up from work like it but decided against it just in case I had a crash. As soon as I got home I stripped back down though.

I'd recommend it to anyone - once a few people have seen you like it (postman, neighbours etc.) then it's quite easy to just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

You'll be easy to spot in the ground next season too

Can't believe no one has suggested going for a dip in your pool yet