+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jason Byrne

Jason Byrne

Sorry if this has been mentioned before on here but I didn't realise he was still going. 39 now and close to becoming the record scorer in the League of Ireland. There's an article here, it's not very interesting but read it if you want.

http://www.the42.ie/jason-byrne-inte...27219-Jun2017/

Re: Jason Byrne

You could sell snow to the Eskimos, so persuasive.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You could sell snow to the Eskimos, so persuasive.
    We get a mention, apart from anything else, but it goes on forever and if you're expecting something along the lines of Catch 22 or Grapes of Wrath then you're going to be disappointed. It's no odds to me if you read it or not, it's up to you, but I recommend that you don't.

Injury problems, homesickness and the subsequent arrivals of big-name strikers in the form of Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink all contributed to a difficult spell.
    The most disappointing thing for me was not moving my family over,” he says. “I just had a young kid and we’d moved house as well. The baby was six months old at the time. So I said ‘just stay put,’ because we’d just moved in.
    “So that’s probably the biggest regret — going to Cardiff and not bringing them over with me. But obviously, you take advantage of that as well.”
    He adds: “It started off great and you think then ‘this is easy, I’ve made it’. But I got a couple of niggling injuries and then one was my hamstring. I suppose that kind of ruined my Cardiff career, even though I had a good go and was top goalscorer for the reserves. It was disappointing the way things turned out, but that’s football — there are the ups and downs.”
    He was the Etien of his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before on here but I didn't realise he was still going. 39 now and close to becoming the record scorer in the League of Ireland. There's an article here, it's not very interesting but read it if you want.

http://www.the42.ie/jason-byrne-inte...27219-Jun2017/
    Sorry not read the article. My one abiding memory of him is scoring the winner v Wolves. Am I right here? Was it the only goal he scored for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sorry not read the article. My one abiding memory of him is scoring the winner v Wolves. Am I right here? Was it the only goal he scored for us?
    A cracker if I remember ! Did he score against Norwich as well or did I just make that up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    A cracker if I remember ! Did he score against Norwich as well or did I just make that up ?

Wasn't it a tap in from about 2ft and wasn't it the game where their arsehole of a chairman "banned us"

Yes it was his only goal for us, on his debut too. He made 10 appearances in all, only a couple of starts though. He didn't play at all for us the following season and went back to Ireland around halfway through. The last time I remember seeing him was in the away end with the City fans at Anfield for the 2007 League Cup tie there. Scored a few for our reserves, as Surge pointed out, but, unfortunately, that didn't lead to him becoming a legend of European football like it did with Etien.

Bluetit is right too, City fans were banned from that game at Wolves. Here's a brief report on the day (including the goals) from Ned Boulting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MmaJEeHEM

Yes it was his only goal for us, on his debut too. He made 10 appearances in all, only a couple of starts though. He didn't play at all for us the following season and went back to Ireland around halfway through. The last time I remember seeing him was in the away end with the City fans at Anfield for the 2007 League Cup tie there. Scored a few for our reserves, as Surge pointed out, but, unfortunately, that didn't lead to him becoming a legend of European football like it did with Etien.

Bluetit is right too, City fans were banned from that game at Wolves. Here's a brief report on the day (including the goals) from Ned Boulting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MmaJEeHEM
    Cheers, Yes, this is the game I was thinking of. Thanks for the clip, great to see it again

International

We get a mention, apart from anything else, but it goes on forever and if you're expecting something along the lines of Catch 22 or Grapes of Wrath then you're going to be disappointed. It's no odds to me if you read it or not, it's up to you, but I recommend that you don't.
    One question. If you recommend we don't read the article why did you post the fecking thing? Now we'll all have angst if we don't read it in case we missed something.

Oh sod it. I'm not looking at it!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    One question. If you recommend we don't read the article why did you post the fecking thing? Now we'll all have angst if we don't read it in case we missed something.

Oh sod it. I'm not looking at it!!
    I started off this thread by saying that Jason Byrne is 39, still playing and close to being the record scorer in the League of Ireland. Bold claims, by anyone's standards, so I provided a link to the evidence that backs them up. If you think he might be a 37-year-old milkman who hasn't kicked a ball in years then go ahead and read it but you'll be sorry you didn't trust me.