+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YoYo anyone?

YoYo anyone?

Assuming our new manager takes the club back to the Premier League...What then?
    It is highly unlikely that we can compete with the very top clubs there, so survival becomes the bottom line with a future (at best) among the clubs like Stoke and West Brom.
    Would being in a division where success is avoiding relegation be enough?
    Without an immense amount of money being ploughed into the playing side of the club it is almost inevitable that we would be relegated pretty soon after arriving.
    Would a pattern of promotion/relegation be acceptable?

Re: YoYo anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    It is highly unlikely that we can compete with the very top clubs there, so survival becomes the bottom line with a future (at best) among the clubs like Stoke and West Brom.
    Without an immense amount of money being ploughed into the playing side of the club it is almost inevitable that we would be relegated pretty soon after arriving.
    Is being a division where you're trying to avoid promotion that fun?

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Whats the alternative? Just tread water in the championship? Isnt that more or less the same as being happy just to avoid relegation from the Premiership?

Its a pie in the sky assumption anyway. Bookies certainly dont agree that we will be back in the PL anytime soon, they ave 14/15 other teams favourites to get promoted before us.

Last time we were in the Prem, I think we were one or two players and a lack of off-field shenanigans away from staying up.

I still believe that if Vincent Tan had kept his beak out of the football side of things and allowed Malky to stay for the rest of that season we could've stayed up. When Malky was fired remember, we weren't in the relegation zone.
    Ok, we were close to it, but the Norwegian idiot made it a certainty.

If we had stayed up, and the subsequent money invested in the team, who knows where we'd be now?

tbf though, we'd probably still be in red, so every cloud and all that.

Yes please

YoYo Ono ?

I'd be happy to play YoYo. It would be great to go to a few new grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Last time we were in the Prem, I think we were one or two players and a lack of off-field shenanigans away from staying up.

I still believe that if Vincent Tan had kept his beak out of the football side of things and allowed Malky to stay for the rest of that season we could've stayed up. When Malky was fired remember, we weren't in the relegation zone.

If we had stayed up, and the subsequent money invested in the team, who knows where we'd be now?

We'd have gone down with or without Mackay I think. We were too defensive and I don't think we'd have had the goals to keep us up.

If we'd gone up, cut our losses and tried to rebuild sensibly, we might be back there. OGS pissed £20/25m up the wall.

Agree with much of this ^^^

As an addendum, if the call for a return to blue hadn't been so fierce, or even postponed, then perhaps VT would have kept his powder and allowed MM to finish the season. He couldn't handle / understand all the adulation Mackay was getting when he had not.
    If the masses hadn't shown Vincent such vitriol at that crucial period in time, yes things could well have been different.
    If we all knew then we'd be back in blue as quick as we eventually were, then perhaps we may have kept our powders dry too?

Of course all with benefit of hindsight and if my auntie was my uncle, she'd have bollocks.

To give my opinion on the OP question, I think being a yoyo club would be okay, though being a West Brom or a Stoke mightn't.
    Some proper backing and trust, from both sides, is required before any of this becomes a reality but we will hopefully get a feel that it could be very soon.

Also, who knows what kind of manager MM could have become? I think we had a better chance of staying up with him. But if Tan knew he wanted rid of him he should have pulled the trigger earlier and got Pulis in. A lot of mistakes were made that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We'd have gone down with or without Mackay I think. We were too defensive and I don't think we'd have had the goals to keep us up.

If we'd gone up, cut our losses and tried to rebuild sensibly, we might be back there. OGS pissed £20/25m up the wall.
    As did Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    As did Mackay
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Please explain.
    I presume he means he bought poorly in the PL season, which he did to an extent but we only lost money on Cornelius. The rest we broke even or more. His signings in his first two years were outstanding, bar Velikonja.

OGS on the other hand had about 1 hit in every 5 transfers. Pilks, Morrison, Manga and Fabio. The rest were absolute disasters.

I actually agree with TH63. Yes we were defensive but we had a structure and every player knew his job. It also appeared that for the most part the team spirit was excellent. Yes we were short of a prolific goalscorer but I believe that if we didn't have the off the field nonsense, we would have been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Also, who knows what kind of manager MM could have become? I think we had a better chance of staying up with him. But if Tan knew he wanted rid of him he should have pulled the trigger earlier and got Pulis in. A lot of mistakes were made that season.
    I don't think Tan could have won at that point,though that was due to some mismanagement. Tan knew about the texts and I imagine wanted him out earlier, remember the leaked resign or get sacked email, which in hindsight must have been leaked by Malky as a way of keeping fans onside and clinging onto his job without the fans having full knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes.
    I personally think Tan only kept him on due to obvious fan pressure and again with hindsight should have sacked him earlier.
    That error was then multiplied by hiring an inexperienced name instead of a suitable manager.

Isn't Yay the new Yo?

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    I actually agree with TH63. Yes we were defensive but we had a structure and every player knew his job. It also appeared that for the most part the team spirit was excellent. Yes we were short of a prolific goalscorer but I believe that if we didn't have the off the field nonsense, we would have been ok.
    Look at our form in October, November and December. Good, it was not.

Precisely: P13 W2 D3 L7. GF9 GA22 GD-13

We'd had that fluke win over Man City and picked up a few good draws to start us off but we were going one way, and that was down. In fact, we'd picked up the second win in those three months in December after the Tan v Mackay thing had really kicked into gear.

We couldn't score and we had absolutely no chance of survival because of that.

Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Seconded.

Thirded.

We were down, after the Aston Villa away game.

They were there for the taking, yet can't spell Malky's negative game plan saw them win with two late goals. Truly awful display

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thirded.

They were there for the taking, yet can't spell Malky's negative game plan saw them win with two late goals. Truly awful display
    That was November 9, there is no way that result or performance condemned us.

We were shit and deserved to go down but people forget how many other shit teams there were. We were shit but still not mathematically down after we played game 36 because three other teams were also shit. We were shit but won as many matches as west brom who stayed up.

It was the palace and hull home games that extinguished our hopes. Two wins there, which is more than possible under someone better than Ole, and we would have just needed one more point to stay up from somewhere.

Thirded.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That was November 9, there is no way that result or performance condemned us.

We were shit and deserved to go down but people forget how many other shit teams there were. We were shit but still not mathematically down after we played game 36 because three other teams were also shit. We were shit but won as many matches as west brom who stayed up.

It was the palace and hull home games that extinguished our hopes. Two wins there, which is more than possible under someone better than Ole, and we would have just needed one more point to stay up from somewhere.

You say tomato, I say tomarto. WE WERE DOWN AFTER VILLA. !

No fight, no heart, no commitment, in fact, WE WERE THE WORST TEAM IN THAT DIVISION, as was proved by our final position.

I rest my case.

Game before villa away we beat Swansea at home.
    Game after villa away we drew with man utd at home.

Game before villa away we beat Swansea at home.
    Game after villa away we drew with man utd at home.
    WE FINISHED BOTTOM.

The leagues don't finish in November

WE FINISHED BOTTOM.

The leagues don't finish in November
    Er yeah, that's my point.

Er yeah, that's my point.
    No, your point is, we would have stayed up IF I can't spell Malky remained manager.

My point is, we were already in decline and getting worse.