+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day!

If I'm not mistaken, fifty two weeks ago almost to the minute, Nigel Farage was proclaiming that June 23 should be made a public holiday from now on. My question is, how many people really knew what Brexit would mean for the ordinary person in the street when they voted and have we got any the wiser in the past twelve months? I don't think I have.

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, fifty two weeks ago almost to the minute, Nigel Farage was proclaiming that June 23 should be made a public holiday from now on. My question is, how many people really knew what Brexit would mean for the ordinary person in the street when they voted and have we got any the wiser in the past twelve months? I don't think I have.
    Good point.

At the time of the referendum there was no mention of Hard Brexit or Soft Brexit, just Brexit.

My guess is that for those who wanted Brexit what they had in mind was a hard brexit.

We now seem to be embroiled in negotiating some kind of half way house effort, likely to cost us billions, having to accept some form of immigration and EU legislation in exchange for a deal which wont be as good as the one we already have.

Remainers aren't happy, and I suspect, many Brexiters won't be either with the outcome of the negotiations.

I know the EU as a whole is concerned about other nations wanting to follow us, I suspect that we've already done a great job of convincing them to remain.

Absolute mess.

And all for what? So we can control our 'boarders' ( example from any comment on sun or Mail website ) or make Britain great again ( again what does that mean ? )
    It's a farce. An absolute time wasting,
    Money costing bunch of arse and those who voted leave are going to be disappointed at the end of t that it isn't the glorious utopia its been sold as.
    Who can they blame then ?

In the news today Theresa May has said that the 3.2 million EU nationals who are living here can stay for life :)
    I'm sure those who voted leave will agree with me that this is Excellent news :).

Happy Independence Day everyone :)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    In the news today Theresa May has said that the 3.2 million EU nationals who are living here can stay for life :)
    I'm sure those who voted leave will agree with me that this is Excellent news :).

Happy Independence Day everyone :)
    And as Angela Merkel said, literally, "That's a good start"

Farage the tail that wagged the dog , the man who will in the long term damage the UK more than Hitler ,the man who could never win a seat in Parliament , the hypocrite who continues to happily fill his pockets with Eu money as an MEP whilst describing it as a wasteful organisation , the man who lied repeatedly about the UK losing control of our borders despite the fact we never signed up to Schengen , the friend of Donald Trump.

The usual suspects just like England football bleating on about 1966

it's dun mun, time to embrace the future and forget abut the past, those less fortunate in society have spoken.

The Welsh should take note from what's happened with the DUP, get voting Plaid en-masse, and hold any future Gov to ransom in the event of a hung parliament.

You have to laugh the Brexit / UKIP voting farmers are now moaning they can't get foreign cheap labour to come and pick their crops !

Wait until we leave and the mobile phone roaming rates ( just made the same as the UK thanks to the EU ) go through the roof. Just wait until the booze cruise beloved of Sun readers goes back to 6 bottles of wine each and one case of beer.

Just wait until all UK citizens have to queue up like refugees to cross EU borders like the old days.

Wait until the £ collapses.

Me I can't wait for all this just to serve all the prats who voted leave right.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    You have to laugh the Brexit / UKIP voting farmers are now moaning they can't get foreign cheap labour to come and pick their crops !

Wait until we leave and the mobile phone roaming rates ( just made the same as the UK thanks to the EU ) go through the roof. Just wait until the booze cruise beloved of Sun readers goes back to 6 bottles of wine each and one case of beer.

Just wait until all UK citizens have to queue up like refugees to cross EU borders like the old days.

Wait until the £ collapses.

Me I can't wait for all this just to serve all the prats who voted leave right.
    Why do you wish bad on those who had next to nothing and voted for change?, have you lost a EU backed final salary pension or summat ?

Hugely predictable absolute mess , mismanaged by clueless blaggers.

Will it even happen?

Brexit means Brexit!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Why do you wish bad on those who had next to nothing and voted for change?, have you lost a EU backed final salary pension or summat ?
    Because they were stupid turkeys voting for Christmas. I've lost nothing except my respect for a large slice of the Welsh nation who pissed on their own chips.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Because they were stupid turkeys voting for Christmas. I've lost nothing except my respect for a large slice of the Welsh nation who pissed on their own chips.
    The large signs indicating projects that were funded or part funded by European Union funds are suddenly much more noticeable, they are everywhere, especially in the less well off areas of Wales.

For years the tories, ukip and the right wing media have been blaming all our ills on johnny foreigner and our membership of the EU. During the referendum campaign you would hear people brainlessly regurgitating the same well worn media phrases - "regaining control of our borders", "getting our sovereignty back" and "we want our country back" and so on. On the odd, very rare occasion that an interviewer would actually challenge them on these opinions, their argument would usually unravel.

It wasn't without fault of course but in my opinion, membership of the EU positively benefited Wales, and I fear that this whole sorry and unnecessary mess will cause lasting long term damage to our country, is especially while the bloody tories are in charge.