+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

One of mine is Fulham and has been since 1968, seeing us win there 5-1. (I think it was, I know we scored 5)

Gang of us, got the train up and most of us only had platform tickets. .
    If my memory serves me right, I believe we went 1-0 down to an early goal, but after that it was one way traffic, with Tosh, Clarky and Barrie Jones having a field day.

great day out, for a group of 16/17 year olds (and Splott Parker who was a whimsical 13, but still towered above all of us)

I can remember some of the school mates who travelled, John & Robert Corsi, Michael Stitfall, Paul Glavin, non school were Dave Beard, John & alan Frain, memories gone now.

What a fantastic day out, finished off making a record of City songs, on a machine in Paddington station.

Was it really 49 years ago !

Always loved the Fulham trip since.

What's your favorite Ground/ Trip ?

Smile Re: What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    One of mine is Fulham and has been since 1968, seeing us win there 5-1. (I think it was, I know we scored 5)

If my memory serves me right, I believe we went 1-0 down to an early goal, but after that it was one way traffic, with Tosh, Clarky and Barrie Jones having a field day.

great day out, for a group of 16/17 year olds (and Splott Parker who was a whimsical 13, but still towered above all of us)

I can remember some of the school mates who travelled, John & Robert Corsi, Michael Stitfall, Paul Glavin, non school were Dave Beard, John & alan Frain, memories gone now.

What a fantastic day out, finished off making a record of City songs, on a machine in Paddington station.

Tempted to say Burton although Fulham is a good shout if only to see if Inspector Leak is on duty with the local plod.
    I presume Michael Stitfall is related to the Stitfall who played for City? The Stitfalls lived next door to my nan and gramp in Adamsdown.... not Splott.

Re: What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Tempted to say Burton although Fulham is a good shout if only to see if Inspector Leak is on duty with the local plod.
    I presume Michael Stitfall is related to the Stitfall who played for City? The Stitfalls lived next door to my nan and gramp in Adamsdown.... not Splott.
    Mike lived in Arnold Avenue in Llanrumney, but one of his Nana's lived in Splott , he used to call at my house when he was visiting her, for his pocket money.
    Ya, the ones who played for the City were his uncles, I believe.

Add Peter Scully to that school list

That Fulham trip was a cracker, all of us in the ground early on the Hammersmith? End. Still recall the Fulham fans enthusing over their no.1 main man ('ark at me I was 13 & about 6 stone soaking wet) 'The Tank', "Wait until The Tank comes in the ground you lot'll shit yourself and scarper", frigging Tank , he was built like a little bubble car!!! I'm sure Frankie Humphries growled at him once and he was off like a bastard Jensen Interceptor. I was with the big boys, we stayed. As Tony said, Fulham went one up, cue 'Fulham 1 Cardiff 0 Hallelujah', ringing out, we, of course reminded them of the score up to number 5 with the same song. Great days, and, yep, Fulham is still up there with the best.

Barnsley

Fulham 1 Cardiff 5, my first away game as my rugby loving uncle took me as an early Christmas present. I was so excited about the game that I insisted that we were stood on the end where the away fans go now about ninety minutes before kick off and about a quarter of an hour later, about fifty City fans ran onto the Hammersmith End at the opposite end of the ground and started singing "we have taken over". The few Fulham fans present at the time stayed well clear of the City supporters, but they got braver as more of them entered the ground and there were some mild skirmishes that got my uncle into his best tut tutting "you'd never see that at the rugby" mode.

I was twelve at the time and never asked my uncle to take me to an away match again - I was soon old enough for my parents to let me go away with my mates, but I also figured he'd not enjoyed the experience much. Of course, I thought it was fantastic and, as it turned out, my uncle gave me a shock decades later when he told me he'd really enjoyed the game and was really taken aback by how well City played.

As for favourite away grounds - Highbury, Villa Park, Upton Park (when I went to watch a game as a neutral!) and Goodison Park spring to mind and, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I always found the Manor Ground, Oxford such an odd, but likeable ground.

There was also the 4 - 1 away win at Fulham on a week night which was on Sky. That was fun too.

Wonder if my VHS of that still works ?

However going to the old Den when Cardiff won was something extra in every way.

2008 at Middlesborough was brilliant too. The Bluebirds were off to Wembly again.

Nobody mentioned Edgar Street yet, have they? (unless I missed it). Always a good trip.

The trips that aren't too far away but far enough if you know what I mean. You're on the coach long enough to have a drink but its not too far home. Wolves, Forest, WBA, Stoke and Brum are always good days out though the WM and Staff Police can be a pain. Villa Park takes some beating as a ground as did the old Highbury.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    The trips that aren't too far away but far enough if you know what I mean. You're on the coach long enough to have a drink but its not too far home. Wolves, Forest, WBA, Stoke and Brum are always good days out though the WM and Staff Police can be a pain. Villa Park takes some beating as a ground as did the old Highbury.
    Ah yes ! Highbury's a library comes to mind. Great old ground shit , spoiled poncey fans.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Of the modern game Fulham is a favourite as no grief , the neutral area is a great idea and some nice pubs on the river for pre post drinks. Generally a decent set of fans to chat to as well.
    Back in the day Shrewsbury and Hereford were interesting old trips as both grounds had their fair amount of charm and generally seen as local (ish) so a good turn out.
    Can only remember visiting once but Villa Park seemed enormous compared to most away grounds and mad a big impression on a young me.

Current ones .. West Brom, Forest, probably Southampton out of the newer ones.

Fulham- downside there is the poxy traffic jams. Think I prefer Brentford.

QPRs OK too, but again traffic there sucks

I always enjoy the West London trips. Fulham the best but QPR and Brentford are always good days out. Have always enjoyed West Brom Over the last 15 years or so the games have always been top games. But my favourite trip is Fratton Park. Was a student down there in the early eighties and the clock incident will always live in my memory. I just wish we'd drawn them away in the Carribean Cup or whatever it's bloody called this season!

Loved Edgar street cost me a life sentence after 82

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Loved Edgar street cost me a life sentence after 82

you shoulda been there 75/76 when the wall fell down

in no particular order

derby county
    bristol rovers eastville
    aston villa
    burnley
    wolves
    qpr

fav trips = wolves away 1988 won 4-1 , derby away last season won 4-3 only here cause we're single

That was like Luton away a few years ago 3-3,
    I was lucky just happened to be working in Hertfordsire that week

One of my favourite away memories is also Fulham away. When we beat them 2-1 John Buchanon scored and George Best got theirs.
    My favourite ground is Hillsborough

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    One of my favourite away memories is also Fulham away. When we beat them 2-1 John Buchanon scored and George Best got theirs.
    i think i was there, Peter Sayer pulled the ball back for tony evans to score the winner, Don't believe best played but he was supposed to, it was also on MOTD probably because of Best and Moore

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Why Hillsborough?

Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post

you shoulda been there 75/76 when the wall fell down
    That was April '77, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    i think i was there, Peter Sayer pulled the ball back for tony evans to score the winner, Don't believe best played but he was supposed to, it was also on MOTD probably because of Best and Moore
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Best scored that day - he, and Rodney Marsh, were missing on New Years Day a few weeks later for Robin Friday's debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    That was April '77, or is my mind playing tricks on me?
    feb 76 lost 4-1 i could have fallen down again in 77

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Best scored that day - he, and Rodney Marsh, were missing on New Years Day a few weeks later for Robin Friday's debut.
    not sure but certainly remember Evans winner