+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

SuperBluebirds91

Re: What are your favorite AWAY GROUNDS/Trips ?

I probably haven't been to as many away grounds as some of the posters on here but I have done a fair few. Just off the top of my head I've been to....Derby, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Bristol city, Brighton, West Ham - Upton Park, Arsenal both Highbury and Emirates, Liverpool, Everton, Crystal Palace (but when it was Wimbledon playing there and shared with CPFC), Swansea, Fulham, Wembley if that counts can't think of any more at the mo but there's probably a couple more that I've forgotten! I have to say my best match day experience out of them all was Brighton a few years back when the Amex was quite new. Everything from the drive down there, how accomadating they were for parking because let's face it....there's hardly any where to park, our trip on the train into Brighton and the beach, the warm welcome we got at Amex and of course the match itself. Love the stadium too despite it being a modern build type. Loved Highbury but not keen on th Emirates and I remember the match at Wimbledon (selhurst park) being something of an intense atmosphere but the ground itself was old and worn!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Why Hillsborough?
    It`s the way they have converted to an all seater and kept it like the original .I also like how the stands are linked together.
    I am aware of the sadness connected to it but as an old ground I still love it
    hill.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    It`s the way they have converted to an all seater and kept it like the original .I also like how the stands are linked together.
    hill.jpg
    I take it you don't like a pint before the game (close to the ground), as Hillsborough is a SHITHOLE

hill.jpg
    I take it you don't like a pint before the game (close to the ground), as Hillsborough is a SHITHOLE

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    I probably haven't been to as many away grounds as some of the posters on here but I have done a fair few. Just off the top of my head I've been to....Derby, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Bristol city, Brighton, West Ham - Upton Park, Arsenal both Highbury and Emirates, Liverpool, Everton, Crystal Palace (but when it was Wimbledon playing there and shared with CPFC), Swansea, Fulham, Wembley if that counts can't think of any more at the mo but there's probably a couple more that I've forgotten! I have to say my best match day experience out of them all was Brighton a few years back when the Amex was quite new. Everything from the drive down there, how accomadating they were for parking because let's face it....there's hardly any where to park, our trip on the train into Brighton and the beach, the warm welcome we got at Amex and of course the match itself. Love the stadium too despite it being a modern build type. Loved Highbury but not keen on th Emirates and I remember the match at Wimbledon (selhurst park) being something of an intense atmosphere but the ground itself was old and worn!
    Soz, my lovely boy/girl, but the Amex is a SHITHOLE

Another vote for Fulham. Buchanan's blinder there in a victory against Best and co. A Friday night win, 4-1, if I recall, then another great trip, either 5-1 or 5-2, when Cohen Griffith terrorised their hapless defenders from beginning to end. Met Boy George in a boozer on one of those occasions, not in the bogs I hasten to add, and a minor actor called John Bindon at another game, although I wasn't aware of who he was until later. He allegedly knocked off Princess Margaret and was one hard b'stard. He approached a group of us in a pub while we abused the locals. "This is a rough manner," he muttered. We laughed as Fulham had no hooligan element.

SuperBluebirds91

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Soz, my lovely boy/girl, but the Amex is a SHITHOLE
    Oh I'm surprised that someone has said that! I thought it was quite a decent stadium despite being the new type. I like it any ways! however, on the flip side I wasn't that keen on Fulham lol! Thought it was like goi g back in a time machine! I guess the toilets were decent though! Lol no but seriously I'm going purely on the ground and surrounding areas - not the matches I've seen at a ground. If it had to be the best match at an away ground I'd say Again - Brighton and the old Highbury! Just personal preference though! Can't stand Anfield - the seats are too small for me to fit my arse in!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I`ve gone on the train and found loads of great boozers. You obviously don`t know where to look.

I`ve gone on the train and found loads of great boozers. You obviously don`t know where to look.

I like to partake of an ale within walking distance of the ground, not 7 miles away.

Nothing wrong with the pubs IN BRIGHTON, apart from the fact they are not in FALMER, where the ground is.

Last time we went, we stopped here:-- The Poacher, in Hurstpierpoint. Brilliant welcome and less than £3.00 a pint

There are loads of great pubs in Sheffield - but I've never found a good one near Hillsborough on match day (unless I was with Wednesdayite mates and resigned to all the grief of watching from the home end).

Hillsborough is the away ground I've been to most - as a fan and when I was working on Sheffield buses in the 1980s and doing regular football specials (more to Hillsborough than Bramall Lane for some reason). It is OK as a big traditional shed, but it is a long way from the city centre, the facilities are crap, and it'd not easy to find somewhere friendly close to the ground for a pint before kick off.

There are loads of great pubs in Sheffield - but I've never found a good one near Hillsborough on match day (unless I was with Wednesdayite mates and resigned to all the grief of watching from the home end).

Hillsborough is the away ground I've been to most - as a fan and when I was working on Sheffield buses in the 1980s and doing regular football specials (more to Hillsborough than Bramall Lane for some reason). It is OK as a big traditional shed, but it is a long way from the city centre, the facilities are crap, and it'd not easy to find somewhere friendly close to the ground for a pint before kick off.

I thank you

PS:--- I replied about the wrong ground last time, but the same applies to both SHITHOLES

Taffs Well

Barnet away, circa 2001. Can't remember who scored but I believe we came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Uncovered away stand, lots of rain, going bananas when we equalised as if we'd won the World Cup. What a day!

What made it more fun was one of the Barnet stewards chatting loudly with one of her colleagues, saying: "look at this lot, how can they be getting worked up?!", "look at these poor sods, come all this way for a defeat, getting wet in the rain" etc. when we were losing. The city fans never stopped singing, she warmed to us and by the time we levelled up she was even celebrating along with us!

Can anyone remember this?

Banned

Feethams

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Barnet away, circa 2001. Can't remember who scored but I believe we came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Uncovered away stand, lots of rain, going bananas when we equalised as if we'd won the World Cup. What a day!

What made it more fun was one of the Barnet stewards chatting loudly with one of her colleagues, saying: "look at this lot, how can they be getting worked up?!", "look at these poor sods, come all this way for a defeat, getting wet in the rain" etc. when we were losing. The city fans never stopped singing, she warmed to us and by the time we levelled up she was even celebrating along with us!

Can anyone remember this?
    Just looked it up and the crowd was 2,264!

Quite interesting website...

http://www.football-data.co.uk/mmz4281/0001/E3.csv

I will remember Mutch's screamer against Fulham for a very very long time, what a day that was

I went with 1927 members who were well clued up on the pubs. The one which like most away days i can`t remember the name of was the other side of the ground just remember a 10 minute walk all down a steep hill to the ground no hassle and the landlord was very welcoming. The pubs in town are also quite accessible with the trams running from town to close to the ground.
    Why the **** i`m trying to convince people of my favourite ground i don`t ****ing know. it`s my personal choice.