+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury 2017

Re: Glastonbury 2017

Liam singing Dont look back in anger was entertaining, reminded me alot of Ian brown

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    I agree with most of that; although I think that if Cobain hadn't blown his own brains out, Nirvana would've still had a few years at the top before they were found out. A generation of melancholic teenagers connected with them and it would've taken those teenagers to grow up to realise just how shit they were.

Musically poor and nonsense lyrically. As you say, Grohl's ability was far beyond the rest of the band. A perfect example is their Unplugged in New York album, where the most popular songs are cover versions. Watch Dave Grohl play drums in other projects post-Nirvana to see just how much he was held back.

The Foo's are perfect for him; big anthemic rock songs filled with loud guitar and heavy drums, they don't take themselves too seriously and aren't trying to be the voice of depressed teens. I could watch them all night!
    In Utero massively exposed them. Their Reading performance, Bleach - both were amazing. As I said, Nevermind came off as utterly over produced when it was the rawness of the live performances and Bleach that really made their name - that's why I don't think they'd have lasted past In Utero even if Cobain hadn't committed suicide.

It's not even Grohl's drumming talent - first Foo album, he played every instrument. Every f*cking instrument.That's just incredibly ridiculous because that album was amazing.

Your last paragraph sums up everything about the band and everything wrong with music today. There are very few good rock bands still going ( Maiden always deliver and don't have too many years left ) and nothing coming through. Grohl is still "young" at 48 but Pat Smear is 57...

EDIT: The problem is that music these days has gone the "write 'catchy' tune, perform with dancers etc" route. Pure rock musicianship where you engage the crowd, just not the done thing these days. Compare and contrast Foos with Radiohead's set. Radiohead came across as utterly self-indulgent, musically excellent lacking feel or passion. Got crowd reactions only with the "known" older songs. Grohl has had this audience in the palm of his hand since the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    I agree with most of that; although I think that if Cobain hadn't blown his own brains out, Nirvana would've still had a few years at the top before they were found out. A generation of melancholic teenagers connected with them and it would've taken those teenagers to grow up to realise just how shit they were.

Musically poor and nonsense lyrically. As you say, Grohl's ability was far beyond the rest of the band. A perfect example is their Unplugged in New York album, where the most popular songs are cover versions. Watch Dave Grohl play drums in other projects post-Nirvana to see just how much he was held back.

The Foo's are perfect for him; big anthemic rock songs filled with loud guitar and heavy drums, they don't take themselves too seriously and aren't trying to be the voice of depressed teens. I could watch them all night!
    Not seen them live and only know their stuff from the telly, perfect band for the occasion, Taylor Hawkins beast of a drummer

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Not seen them live and only know their stuff from the telly, perfect band for the occasion, Taylor Hawkins beast of a drummer
    He's progressed from his days drumming for Alanis Morrisette

If you've never seen them live, then I feel sorry for you. If you think it's good via the TV, in the flesh they are f*cking amazing.

Was that the best headline act of recent years ?, outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Rock and roll is about getting the crowd going, entertaining...

Kiss are far from the best songwriters in the world, but give kick ass performances live.

Radiohead can do that at Glastonbury for the simple fact the audience is for the most part people there because it's Glastonbury, couldn't give a toss who the bands are.

There's no comparison between Hendrix and Radiohead...
    Interesting point of what rock and roll is all about.
    There are times in most artist's sets when the tone is quieter. At that point it's not to get the crowd going.
    Different gigs will have different atmospheres.
    If you want to get up and dance, then Katy Perry would be the girl over Adele. If you want to slash your wrists, then it's Adele every day.
    I know Kiss are a good live band, seem them quite a few times.
    Neil Young, who I've seen over 30 times has his quiet, reflective moments and then goes full out bat crazy (horse) !!
    Music is about the connection between the artists and listener, which will depend upon the mood of both.
    That's why a LOT of Hendrix fans would listen to every note and the gaps between the notes.
    Certainly not comparing the incomparable, but there are a few musical artists who follow Jimi's lead, such as Radiohead, Young Neil and my friend John Hammond Jr who will play different sets in different ways and not necessarily what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I can't stand enormous gigs and never go to one where watching the screen passes as actually seeing a band.
    Anyway, my question is....don't people get pissed off when they can't see the stage because of a bloody great flag or two is in the way?
    I went to see Santana last year and I was in the third or fourth row and the idiot in front of me decided to to hold his mobile phone up and record it all whilst looking at the gig on his screen rather than watch the gig. As his hands and phone was blocking my view the whole time I had to give him an almighty bollocking so that I could see the gig that I paid for.

Did you enjoy the concert Mr Meldrew?
    Nooo I blooody didnt! ..

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Liam singing Dont look back in anger was entertaining, reminded me alot of Ian brown
    This is his a cappella Don't Look Back in Anger performance yesterday. His singing sounds even worse with no instrumental accompaniment. As much as I dislike the swaggering prick, I have to concede he's an exceptionally gifted tambourine shaker who deserves to be bracketed alongside Linda McCartney as one of the greats.

His new one 'Wall of Glass sounded very Ian Bown, although I'm sure he would have binned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    His new one 'Wall of Glass sounded very Ian Bown, although I'm sure he would have binned it.
    Noel once confessed that The Roses/Browneh and The La's, and Richard Ashcroft were the stylistic template for his (Beatles cover) band.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Dizzy Rascal greatest act ever
    Wow. Even for you, this is incredible.

You will say anything to get attention. Fair play to you sir. You have no shame.

Can see why Noel wouldn't let Liam sing Don't Look Back In Anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

Did you enjoy the concert Mr Meldrew?
    Nooo I blooody didnt! ..
    Once the mobile phone was sent on its way I enjoyed the gig enormously, thank you. It's just about having some consideration for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I am not sure sounding like Ian Brown is a good or a bad thing, saying that, i love the roses of old ( back in the 90's )

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Wow. Even for you, this is incredible.

You will say anything to get attention. Fair play to you sir. You have no shame.
    Incredible as dizzy is just an average rapper, what's even happened to him in the last 10 years??
    The foo fighters and the chilli peppers are probably the main 2 bands I want to see live and haven't yet.

Watching Barry Gibb on BBC2 now. Fair play to the guy he still got it. He must be about 92

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Watching Barry Gibb on BBC2 now. Fair play to the guy he still got it. He must be about 92
    He's looking and sounding pretty good for 70

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    He's looking and sounding pretty good for 70
    I thought Chic were brilliant, iconic sounds of late 70's

I'm enjoying the Barry Gibb set too. He really is a true legend

Enjoying Courteeners

Well, I for one, am enjoying this Liam renaissance

Still cool as fook.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Enjoying Courteeners
    Your not 19 forever, pull yourself together.

They stole that line off Mrs Hartley.

London Grammar next

I'm watching Liam's set on catch up. Slide Away has lasted the test of time. What a choooon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Dizzy Rascal greatest act ever
    So we can add music to football and rugby of the things you you know fook all about