+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: as glasto is on, anyone done any of the smaller festivals

as glasto is on, anyone done any of the smaller festivals

we used to do " reading fest" and used to love it, then the children came along ( and disneyworld ) and we binned it, we also used to do " VW Vanfest " , now called Camperfest, and various other VW shows and festivals

now the oldest fancies glasto, but i think it might be a idea to do a few smaller one's this year

we have a caravan and the VW splitty, so camping isnt a issue

did think about Camp Bestival at Lulworth Castle a few years back to see Mr Tumble but it clashed with something else we were doing, then we have the green man festival in the breacons

speaking to a client of mine they suggested glas-denbury as its fairly local and she loves it, she sells " nuts " at it every year, but looking at the line-up i havent heard any of them

so i guess it comes down to, is a festival about a act you like and can sing along to, not talking about big acts, thinking of the yesteryears bands, at Camp Bestival when i was looking they have the " farm " and " madness " , both who would be great to see
    Or do you go to them have a few beers and discover new acts ? ?

anyone been to the smaller ones ? ?

Re: as glasto is on, anyone done any of the smaller festivals

Did the weekend at Bristol Rockfest at the start of the month. Midge Ure on the Friday night was superb as were Kim Wilde and Heaven 17 on the Saturday. Even The Village People and Gloria Gayner were enjoyable. The 90's bands on the Sunday were a bit lacklustre especially The Lightning Seeds although I loved Space and sang along with Tommy Scott as he thrust the microphone at me During Female of the Species.

A cracking weekend. I think the Reading line up is very good this year and Glastonbury pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Did the weekend at Bristol Rockfest at the start of the month. Midge Ure on the Friday night was superb as were Kim Wilde and Heaven 17 on the Saturday. Even The Village People and Gloria Gayner were enjoyable. The 90's bands on the Sunday were a bit lacklustre especially The Lightning Seeds although I loved Space and sang along with Tommy Scott as he thrust the microphone at me During Female of the Species.

A cracking weekend. I think the Reading line up is very good this year and Glastonbury pretty poor.
    a few of our friends went to Bristol, they said it was good, they all stayed over so they could all have a drink

We are going to 2000 trees in a couple of weeks.We have half price tickets. My lad is doing some craft stuff like showing kids how to make fires. It will be bands that I won't have heard of but should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We are going to 2000 trees in a couple of weeks.We have half price tickets. My lad is doing some craft stuff like showing kids how to make fires. It will be bands that I won't have heard of but should be good.
    Preparing the youngsters for the summer riots!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Preparing the youngsters for the summer riots!
    Well my lad is hoping to go to Cardiff Uni in September so if you can give me your address he can make a start on your house WB

I did Knebworth in 1979

It turned out to be Led Zep's final performance.

Boomtown is incredible

Reading - OK
    Leeds - Grim and bad weather
    Pukkelpop - Excellent
    Oya - Also good
    Primavera - The best
    Eurokeenes - Decent
    Route De Rock - 1 stage and really good.
    Coachella - A shit show of despicable proportions with the worst people.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I did Knebworth in 1979

It turned out to be Led Zep's final performance.
    I was there matey, on the first of the two dates they did.

I'm pretty sure they played a few dates in Germany in 1980 before the death of John Bonham, which were Zep's last ever live gigs

After barely missing it for about ten years, I stopped going to Glasto about 12 years ago when it became somewhere to be seen and subsequently tickets became hard to get hold of and it became impossible to get over the fence or buy a wristband for a tenner off a scouser in the car park.
    I've been to one or two of the smaller festivals but last year after years of intending to go, I finally went to Greenman and it was great. If you've got kids and fancy going as a family I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    Boomtown is incredible
    Run by a bloke from Cardiff isn't it??
    There are so many these days, even little secret Ines in Wales that not many folk know about.
    Anyone been to festival no6??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was there matey, on the first of the two dates they did.

I'm pretty sure they played a few dates in Germany in 1980 before the death of John Bonham, which were Zep's last ever live gigs
    Had a feeling I was telling little porkies there.
    But I went to the second day, which was the last time they played in the UK.

~one non-music thing I recall was that it p*ssed down all Friday night, and when the sun showed its face around 10am on the day, there was a cloud of steam rising from all our wet clothes. Surreal.

Kaya festival is on your doorstep http://kayafestival.com/sound/ beginning of August.
    My stepsons band will playing it again this year

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post

cheers Feeder & the Charlatans on the same bill, i saw them both on the same bill at reading many years ago, just seen the 'phonics are playing aswell, thats my kind of festival

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Kaya festival is on your doorstep http://kayafestival.com/sound/ beginning of August.
    My stepsons band will playing it again this year
    saw the stereo MC's supporting EMF, bloody hell, thats a long time ago

Summers End

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we used to do " reading fest" and used to love it, then the children came along ( and disneyworld ) and we binned it, we also used to do " VW Vanfest " , now called Camperfest, and various other VW shows and festivals

now the oldest fancies glasto, but i think it might be a idea to do a few smaller one's this year

we have a caravan and the VW splitty, so camping isnt a issue

did think about Camp Bestival at Lulworth Castle a few years back to see Mr Tumble but it clashed with something else we were doing, then we have the green man festival in the breacons

speaking to a client of mine they suggested glas-denbury as its fairly local and she loves it, she sells " nuts " at it every year, but looking at the line-up i havent heard any of them

so i guess it comes down to, is a festival about a act you like and can sing along to, not talking about big acts, thinking of the yesteryears bands, at Camp Bestival when i was looking they have the " farm " and " madness " , both who would be great to see
    Or do you go to them have a few beers and discover new acts ? ?

anyone been to the smaller ones ? ?
    Green Man festival can be very decent and it's relaxed as ****. Good for taking kids too, weather permitting. Always an eclectic mix of bands and basically right on the doorstep.