+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Investment advice: fixed rate corporate bond??

Investment advice: fixed rate corporate bond??

Seen these being offered at 8% if you leave it there for 3 years. 6% for 2.
    Just sold a house so got some cash to invest. It would pay me more than tenants did with no hassle but I know nothing of them. I trust they are protected like cash in the bank is?? Banks still pay nothing of course.

Re: Investment advice: fixed rate corporate bond??

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just sold a house so got some cash to invest. It would pay me more than tenants did with no hassle but I know nothing of them. I trust they are protected like cash in the bank is?? Banks still pay nothing of course.
    Ostensibly less risky than buying equities but significantly more risky than any bank deposit. You have no protection from the FSCS and you run the risk that the underlying business goes bust or cannot redeem the bonds at maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Ostensibly less risky than buying equities but significantly more risky than any bank deposit. You have no protection from the FSCS and you run the risk that the underlying business goes bust or cannot redeem the bonds at maturity.
    Good to know that it's not protected by the FSCS. That would be the end of that then.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Says on website that they are regulated by the financial conduct authority.....

If you're buying a bond fund then FSCS will cover you for failure of the fund manager but not any failure of the underlying bond issuer/s. So in effect you are not covered for capital losses in the value of the bond/s but covered for maladministration by the fund manager.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    There's a thread further down the board that might help you it says Burton away ,lots of interest I'd give them a shout

Feedback

if the bond is paying 8% then the underlying asset must be paying 10-12% to the fund manager for them to make a decent margin. This isn't a junk bond but it is isn't triple A either.

you would be better off buying an offshore AA+ bond in Jersey or Guernsey as it will get you the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    There's a thread further down the board that might help you it says Burton away ,lots of interest I'd give them a shout
    Can't afford that sort of playboy away day anymore.....lol