+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Social Housing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Social Housing

I can understand where she's coming from. I daresay that if I was in her position then I might also have a bit of me that thinks "FFS, why here?"

However, I would also hope that I remember that sometimes crap things happen to people who don't deserve it, and if that's having oiks moving in or narrowly escaping a burning inferno that destroys everything you own, and have the humanity to be thankful that only the former affected me and not the latter (particularly when that happens just a few miles away).

I don't know the details of the proposal, but these aren't going to be social housing forever, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I can understand where she's coming from. I daresay that if I was in her position then I might also have a bit of me that thinks "FFS, why here?"

However, I would also hope that I remember that sometimes crap things happen to people who don't deserve it, and if that's having oiks moving in or narrowly escaping a burning inferno that destroys everything you own, and have the humanity to be thankful that only the former affected me and not the latter (particularly when that happens just a few miles away).

I don't know the details of the proposal, but these aren't going to be social housing forever, surely?
    They are. To build any new development now, you need to build a % of affordable housing, so as not to price out the locals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They are. To build any new development now, you need to build a % of affordable housing, so as not to price out the locals etc.
    One problem is that 'affordable housing' is often unaffordable - especially for the working poor.

The definition is 80% of local market rents - and in many parts of the country that means you have to be well off or one of the very few who get through the allocations and benefits lottery through their local council.

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...social-housing

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    One problem is that 'affordable housing' is often unaffordable - especially for the working poor.

The definition is 80% of local market rents - and in many parts of the country that means you have to be well off or one of the very few who get through the allocations and benefits lottery through their local council.

The housing market is overpriced and overvalued, however no one actually wants their property to go down in price do they?

Out of interest what proportion of these affordable housing tenants actually pay the rent themselves out of money they earn?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Out of interest what proportion of these affordable housing tenants actually pay the rent themselves out of money they earn?
    What's it to you? Would you rather they were on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What's it to you? Would you rather they were on the street?
    Not at all! I was merely asking the question of Jon as he has a considerable expertise in this particular area it would appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know. I don't know what % of social tenants live in 'affordable homes' but I assume it is still a small % as the category (with rents set at 80% of local market rents) was only begun after 2008.

I'm also 3 years out of the loop (early retired) and haven't kept track of the changing numbers.

However, this article from late 2015 gives a fair indication across all social housing in England and Wales:

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...-england-wales

41% of social renters (council and housing association homes mainly) are in work.
    28% of social renters are over 65 and on state pensions.
    31% of social renters are therefore of working age but not working (some single parents, some with disabilities or illnesses...)

However, about 80% (3.3m out of 4.1m) of social renters get some housing benefit - so housing benefit (like many other welfare benefits) is supporting workers on low pay. It is even starker in parts of the private rented sector where the benefits system is subsidising landlords.

I don't know. I don't know what % of social tenants live in 'affordable homes' but I assume it is still a small % as the category (with rents set at 80% of local market rents) was only begun after 2008.

I'm also 3 years out of the loop (early retired) and haven't kept track of the changing numbers.

However, this article from late 2015 gives a fair indication across all social housing in England and Wales:

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...-england-wales

41% of social renters (council and housing association homes mainly) are in work.
    28% of social renters are over 65 and on state pensions.

However, about 80% (3,3m out of 4.1m) of social renters get some housing benefit - so housing benefit (like many other welfare benefits) is supporting workers on low pay. It is even starker in parts of the private rented sector where the benefits system is subsidising landlords.
    Thank you Jon.