+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DUP and the tories deal done

Re: DUP and the tories deal done

A national disgrace

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    If this had happened in some tin-pot African dictatorship we'd be up in arms.

How is it possible for this government, any government, to effectively buy power like this?

Where is this 1bn coming from? The taxpayer obviously, meanwhile, Wales falls further and further behind in receiving our rightful share.
    What is the difference between the Tories offering the DUP extra money and Corbyn offering students fee free tuition?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Elwood. The big issue I have with this is the rank hypocrisy of the Tories. The right wing rags slaughtered Corbyn as being a terrorist sympathiser. May herself constantly warned of a coalition of chaos. Yet here we are with May bunging a party with UDA links a billion to go into an informal coalition of chaos.

You couldn't make it up.
    It's the murky world of politics. In the run up to the election the left were defending Corbyn and his dealings with terrorists, with the right descending into apoplexy over the issue. After the election things have reversed from both sides. There is no consistency - all politicians are corrupt

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    What is the difference between the Tories offering the DUP extra money and Corbyn offering students fee free tuition?
    We had the choice to vote for one but not the other.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    We had the choice to vote for one but not the other.
    That's because the DUP only stand in Ulster.

The point being is that a politician looks to secure power by providing inducements to a certain section of society. It's no different really.

Not that I am defending May or the Tories. It's power at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    A national disgrace
    Especially when Corbyn actually went and won the election.

A national disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Especially when Corbyn actually went and won the election.

A national disgrace.

That headstone in your picture?

Is that where Elysium is buried?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

That headstone in your picture?

Is that where Elysium is buried?
    I think our friend from Cwmbran has returned.

Any pensioners hereabouts should be delighted with the deal because as long as the arrangement lasts - probably five years - then their inflation-proof State Pension will remain that way plus they'll continue to pocket the annual Winter Fuel Payment.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    That's because the DUP only stand in Ulster.

The point being is that a politician looks to secure power by providing inducements to a certain section of society. It's no different really.

Not that I am defending May or the Tories. It's power at all costs
    Not what I meant.

We had the choice to vote for free higher education as a policy, we didn't have the choice to vote for more money to Northern Ireland.

One was a clear manifesto pledge, the other didn't exist until after the election.

I am quite surprised that you think it is even remotely the same.

Not what I meant.

We had the choice to vote for free higher education as a policy, we didn't have the choice to vote for more money to Northern Ireland.

One was a clear manifesto pledge, the other didn't exist until after the election.

You do know who "TISS" actually is, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm guessing feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I just get it wrong when I guess, who is it?

I just get it wrong when I guess, who is it?
    Well if it aint feedy then he does a damn good impression of him.

I have sharpened my knives and I am ready to give Labour MP's who were involved a load of abuse so if you could just point me to the bit where he promises (or even offers) more money then we can begin.
    If you negotiate with the DUP it is a given that there will be money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

If Labour found a decent leader with decent policies rather than a "Spend Spend Spend" wish list I might support them.

A rapidly growing number of voters and quite a number economic commentators seem to think that Labour have found exactly that.

Some may still scoff, and some may see a predefined script being played out but I think it is blindingly obvious that the lid is not going back on the old box, and also time is rapidly running out for the Tory Party as we currently know it. Blindingly, obviously so.
    Change isn't coming. It has already arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

A rapidly growing number of voters and quite a number economic commentators seem to think that Labour have found exactly that.

Some may still scoff, and some may see a predefined script being played out but I think it is blindingly obvious that the lid is not going back on the old box, and also time is rapidly running out for the Tory Party as we currently know it. Blindingly, obviously so.
    Change isn't coming. It has already arrived.
    Which economic commentators backed all labours policies then?

are we really surprised by this

The DUP have played a blinder here, of course any deal was going to come at a heavy price, They are only interested in NI and what they can get out of this deal

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Which economic commentators backed all labours policies then?
    "all policies" - I'm not sure that is quite what I meant.
    I know what I have read - I'm not going looking for links for you now - but if you feel that is a poor show - then you have a go at this: - Which economic commentators looked at the Tory manifesto/costings and (what little detail there actually was * ) and spoke favorably? Good luck.

* Labour fully detailed their model. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    "all policies" - I'm not sure that is quite what I meant.
    I know what I have read - I'm not going looking for links for you now - but if you feel that is a poor show - then you have a go at this: - Which economic commentators looked at the Tory manifesto/costings and (what little detail there actually was * ) and spoke favorably? Good luck.

* Labour fully detailed their model. Just saying.
    Meant to change the all policies bit, I realise you didn't mean that.

Didn't say it was a poor show, just wondering.

The IFS incidentally wasn't impressed with either manifesto, calling the Conservatives "undeliverable" and Labours "unworkable"

Feedback

Not what I meant.

What I am saying is that politicians from all sides offer inducements to whoever they are courting to secure votes.

There is no difference between Corbyn offering free tuition to secure votes in the general election and May offering infrastructure development to secure votes in parliament.

If the £1bn had been a result of a negotiation of Barnett then we would not have the issue we have. Because it has come about to secure a weak prime minister and government people are up in arms.

What does surprise me is that some think the DUP will get this money rather than the people of Northern Ireland, people who will benefit from new roads, hospitals and education. If this was Plaid and Wales we would all be lauding it as great use of leverage.

Northern Ireland has some of the most deprived wards in the UK. By any other method wealth redistribution and state intervention such as this would be welcomed by the left but since it involves the Tories it suddenly becomes today's bete noire

£1 Billion to NI for their infrastructure is an extremely small price compared to the hundreds of billions of pounds promised by Labour over the next 5 years. How much would stopping student fees have cost on their own? Let alone all the other promises made?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    £1 Billion to NI for their infrastructure is an extremely small price compared to the hundreds of billions of pounds promised by Labour over the next 5 years. How much would stopping student fees have cost on their own? Let alone all the other promises made?

You are all mad! I swear I'll be as nuts as all you lot if I have to keep on typing the same message - they are all the same!

The image below is a great example of their sameness.

so you know.jpg