+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emyr Huws to Ipswich - Deal done (updated)

Re: Emyr Huws to Ipswich - offer accepted

The deal could be completed today according to this very good Ipswich site and they believe that the fee will be more than the £1 million they paid for Joe Garner.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31809

As for our central midfield, if it could be guaranteed that they would be fit and available for all forty six games, I'd be pretty happy for us to go into the season with Ralls and Gunnarsson as our two central midfielders because I believe they are both good players at this level and are better passers of the ball than they've been given credit for in this thread (they'd have no trouble whatsoever finding Championship clubs if they both let their contracts run down and left on Bosmans).

However, with Warnock seeming to have little faith in O'Keefe, it's obvious we need more strength in depth in central midfield and if the money we receive for Huws clears the way for us to sign, say, a Joe Ledley, then I'd say that was good business. This would probably mean that the criticism about the passing ability of our midfield would not go away, but I just don't see Warnock signing someone who can pass the ball better than anyone else in our central midfield unless they are also prepared to put in a full stint for the team and I can't imagine us being able to do that on our budget unless we could get a very talented youngster on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We don't have a number 10 though. That's the point.
    Indeed, it's the position we've been missing for a long time now, it's why I was surprised that Immers was bombed out so quickly by Warnock (although I know there were issues there).

That being said maybe he's going to revert to a 4-4-2 which we saw a few times last season with whichever striker we sign and Hoilett competing for a spot alongside Zohore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Indeed, it's the position we've been missing for a long time now, it's why I was surprised that Immers was bombed out so quickly by Warnock (although I know there were issues there).

That being said maybe he's going to revert to a 4-4-2 which we saw a few times last season with whichever striker we sign and Hoilett competing for a spot alongside Zohore.
    He's said he wants 3 players, a Hayes type "utility player", and two centre mids, one that can play 10.

I also think we'll play a fair bit of 3/5 at the back, we did it quite a bit throughout last year, even when Bruno was unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    From what I've seen of Huws, the question for me is how does he fit into the side.

Holding midfielder? Not good enough defensively for me. Number 10 role? Doesn't strike me as quick enough physically or mentally to play there. Box to box? Can't see he's got the engine to do that.
    You've just described the attributes of Peter Whittingham there and he did ok for us

Be glad to see the back of Lambert....Dreadful signing thats cost us big time.

Emyr Huws has signed for Ipswich. I hope that we got a fee well in excess of £1m & a decent sell on clause.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-ipswich-town/

Just noticed that Ipswich have given him a 4 year contract - Mick McCarthy clearly rates him very highly

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Emyr Huws has signed for Ipswich. I hope that we got a fee well in excess of £1m & a decent sell on clause.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-ipswich-town/
    A multi-million pound deal apparently

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/i...city-1-5083052

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    A multi-million pound deal apparently

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/i...city-1-5083052
    Multimillion pound deal implies more than 1 which I somehow doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Only if he becomes Prime Minister or scores over 300 goals for Wales I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    If you take into account the fee & a 4 year contract it will be a multi-million pound investment by Ipswich. The use of the word deal as opposed to fee seems to suggest that they are talking about the overall package.

Re: Emyr Huws to Ipswich - Deal done (updated)

£1.3 million apparently.

I rather see him play regularly at Ipswich which will ultimately benefit Wales, than to sit on the bench at City and not be much use for international matches.

Good luck to the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    £1.3 million apparently.
    This Ipswich site is claiming the fee is just under £1m

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31811

It is usually fairly reliable, but I'm not convinced that extends to the fine detail of transfer fees. A lot of figures will be thrown about but most of them will be guesswork.

Shame Huws has gone in a way. I was hoping he would stay and turn into the player we all hoped the club had signed last summer. But there was always a good chance that he would turn into the player who blew hot and cold across three clubs in as many years. In this situation I'm happy to accept the manager's judgement.

Of course the main reason he was sold had nothing to do with ability, aptitude or application. It was because Warnock still couldn't pronounce his first name after months of trying and it was getting so embarrassing he had to ship him out.

So all the best in the future Emrees Hoos!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I rather see him play regularly at Ipswich which will ultimately benefit Wales, than to sit on the bench at City and not be much use for international matches.

Good luck to the lad.

I would have much preferred to have seen him given a run of games with us. With Whitts also gone we have a serious lack of footballing ability in the central midfield positions & I will be very interested to see if Warnock brings in better than Whitts & Huws. His midfield signings to date (like Greg Halford) have not been particularly impressive so I really hope that he has some quality acquisitions lined up.

I know that it is not fashionable to critisise Warnock but in my view he has not done a particularly good job with Huws, especially if the fee is only £1.3m as suggested above.

"In Warnock We Trust" is me at the moment , the last few have been utter garbage compared to him.

From his start and win against the Brizzies the atmosphere has been so much better than in recent years , he has turned around two players who were running on empty in Gunnerson and Zohore , and brought in a first rate defender in Bamba, and looks to have secured Manga , so why not join the "In Warnock We Trust" brigade ,whatever other brigade should we join ?????????

I would have much preferred to have seen him given a run of games with us. With Whitts also gone we have a serious lack of footballing ability in the central midfield positions & I will be very interested to see if Warnock brings in better than Whitts & Huws. His midfield signings to date (like Greg Halford) have not been particularly impressive so I really hope that he has some quality acquisitions lined up.

I know that it is not fashionable to critisise Warnock but in my view he has not done a particularly good job with Huws, especially if the fee is only £1.3m as suggested above.

Remember the time Huws ????? and the time he ??????

Nope, can't remember a thing. !

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Be glad to see the back of Lambert....Dreadful signing thats cost us big time.
    I was luke warm about it. Three or four years ago would have been amazing.

There's a reason why we signed him so late in his career. Shame though because he was a very good player.

I think the move suited both parties. We have received a decent transfer fee for him,in excess of a million pounds, and his wages were approx 20k per week, therefore , you can't blame Warnock for this transfer. The club still has to be mindful of FFP, and our squad is still too large.

Huw's was terrible when he was here. I'm glad he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Remember the time Huws ????? and the time he ??????

Nope, can't remember a thing. !

I remember how well he played for Ipswich last season, the overwhelming positivity from their fans towards him & the ringing endorsements from Mick McCarthy.

I remember how well he played for Ipswich last season, the overwhelming positivity from their fans towards him & the ringing endorsements from Mick McCarthy.
    Maybe because he is a West Walian, he did not like or take to us.!?

I think he was signed on high wages for what we got out of hime. So it probably would have been good to persevere with him if he'd been on less money, but probably good to get rid of his wages of the payroll for what he had given us to date. We could probably bring in two players for the same wages outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I think the move suited both parties. We have received a decent transfer fee for him,in excess of a million pounds, and his wages were approx 20k per week, therefore , you can't blame Warnock for this transfer. The club still has to be mindful of FFP, and our squad is still too large.

Huw's was terrible when he was here. I'm glad he's gone.
    ^^^the most sense I've heard on this subject

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^^the most sense I've heard on this subject
    Superdad said "Huw's was terrible when he was here. I'm glad he's gone."

He only had 3 appearances and you think it was "the most sense I've heard on this subject"

The one curiosity is that many City fans are complaining that we now have a lack of a good passing midfielder, yet I remember the years we had McPhail in the middle for us (even times when Whitts was in the middle as a two), many complained that we were too powderpuff.