+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Emyr Huws to Ipswich - Deal done (updated)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Emyr Huws to Ipswich - offer accepted

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40405467

Cardiff City have accepted an offer for Wales midfielder Emyr Huws from rival Championship team Ipswich Town.

The 23-year-old spent the last four months of last season on loan at Portman Road.

"I spoke to [Ipswich manager] Mick McCarthy and we've... accepted an offer and I think it's just down to the two clubs to sort the little details out," Cardiff manager Neil Warnock said.

"I think the player is happy, he had a good time there and we wish him well."

Huws came through the Swansea City and Manchester City youth systems, signing senior forms with the Manchester giants in 2012.

The midfielder joined Wigan Athletic in September 2014 after a successful loan spell the previous season, but joined Cardiff in August 2016 on a three-year deal.

Huws made his senior debut for Wales in a friendly against Iceland in March 2014 and has won 11 caps, scoring one goal.

Cardiff manager Warnock has also confirmed he wants to sign a further three players ahead of the new season.
    He looked great when he came on for Wales in Serbia!

(hardly a 'long run' in the team though, I admit.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

As he walked on the pitch, Serbia scored. !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    As he walked on the pitch, Serbia scored. !
    OK, APART from that.....

;-)

I think he should stay. We have a midfield of Gunnarsson and Ralls now with Halford and O'Keefe as back up. So far.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think he should stay. We have a midfield of Gunnarsson and Ralls now with Halford and O'Keefe as back up. So far.
    No doubt we will have the "In Warnock We Trust" brigade (cringe) trying to dress that midfield up but for me that is an awful squad of midfielders. Not one of them can pass the ball with any conviction, none of them are creative, none of them are going to get you 10 goals a season. In fact they are all pretty much same, same, with no one offering a different option to the other.

Unless Warnock has got 2 decent midfielders lined up to replace Whitts and Huws then that midfield quarter is extremely underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No doubt we will have the "In Warnock We Trust" brigade (cringe) trying to dress that midfield up but for me that is an awful squad of midfielders. Not one of them can pass the ball with any conviction, none of them are creative, none of them are going to get you 10 goals a season. In fact they are all pretty much same, same, with no one offering a different option to the other.

Unless Warnock has got 2 decent midfielders lined up to replace Whitts and Huws then that midfield quarter is extremely underwhelming.
    That's not necessarily a major issue though. If Warnock wants something like a 4-2-3-1 then the responsibility for the two in midfield is to hold, protect the defence. Width comes from the full backs, reliance upon the wide players/number 10/striker to score.

Zohore looks like a twenty goal a season striker now, so that helps. More goals from out wide, from whoever plays behind Zohore will be more important.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    That's not necessarily a major issue though. If Warnock wants something like a 4-2-3-1 then the responsibility for the two in midfield is to hold, protect the defence. Width comes from the full backs, reliance upon the wide players/number 10/striker to score.

Zohore looks like a twenty goal a season striker now, so that helps. More goals from out wide, from whoever plays behind Zohore will be more important.
    We don't have a number 10 though. That's the point. All of our midfielders are limited technically.

The centre midfielders have to do more than just hold, they still have to work the ball to the full backs and front 4, and none of the 4 mentioned can pass the ball. In some of the cases they struggle to pass it further than 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Did he though? I thought he made some really poor decisions, especially that shot at the end. He also dwells on the ball, which some managers like but we know Warnock doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Did he though? I thought he made some really poor decisions, especially that shot at the end. He also dwells on the ball, which some managers like but we know Warnock doesn't!
    Agree.

He didnt have much time but from what I saw I wasnt impressed.

He certainly didnt look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Agree.

He didnt have much time but from what I saw I wasnt impressed.

He certainly didnt look great.
    From what I've seen of Huws, the question for me is how does he fit into the side.

Holding midfielder? Not good enough defensively for me. Number 10 role? Doesn't strike me as quick enough physically or mentally to play there. Box to box? Can't see he's got the engine to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    From what I've seen of Huws, the question for me is how does he fit into the side.

Holding midfielder? Not good enough defensively for me. Number 10 role? Doesn't strike me as quick enough physically or mentally to play there. Box to box? Can't see he's got the engine to do that.
    You've just described the attributes of Peter Whittingham there and he did ok for us

Be glad to see the back of Lambert....Dreadful signing thats cost us big time.

Emyr Huws has signed for Ipswich. I hope that we got a fee well in excess of £1m & a decent sell on clause.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-ipswich-town/

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Be glad to see the back of Lambert....Dreadful signing thats cost us big time.
    I was luke warm about it. Three or four years ago would have been amazing.

There's a reason why we signed him so late in his career. Shame though because he was a very good player.