+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: DSLR lenses help

DSLR lenses help

I have a Nikon D3100 entry level DSLR. I have the standard 18-55mm lens, I've been wanting to get another lens for landscape and scenery shots for a while and I wouldn't say I'm clued up with all the different specs and lenses so hoping somebody on here could help. I'm heading to Alaska in a few weeks and will probably be the only time I'll ever go so really desperate for a good lens for the scenery and potential wildlife. Anybody knowledgable with DSLRs and compatible lenses that could point me in the direction of a couple possibilities??

Re: DSLR lenses help

Wozza16, i,m very amateur regards cameras/lens but the best I have picked up i,ve found utube very good for information. Will explain most of what you want to know.

You may find some relevant info on the forums of this website

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100

https://www.dpreview.com/forums

Your sensor is cropped, so you are probably looking for a DX lens that has a starting focal length of around +- 11mm.

If I come across anything suitable I will update this thread.

Wozza16 ... no need to buy new. Try MPB, they're excellent.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...on-fit-lenses/

Thanks for the help guys! If you manage to see any lenses that would be good for wildlife/distant scenery please let me know, looking as we speak but I'm not sure of all of the things that make a lens good at those!

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! If you manage to see any lenses that would be good for wildlife/distant scenery please let me know, looking as we speak but I'm not sure of all of the things that make a lens good at those!
    A 70-200 mm zoom should do the job, i.e. with the 1.5 crop factor, it is effectively a 105-300 mm lens.

Tamron do a nice 16-300 great for travel, also think about a 35 mm or 50mm 1.4 prime lens, much better quality than zooms and faster shutter speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbccfc View Post
    Tamron do a nice 16-300 great for travel, also think about a 35 mm or 50mm 1.4 prime lens, much better quality than zooms and faster shutter speeds.
    16mm is not wide angle on a DX sensor, which I think the OP is asking for since he already has 18mm covered.

My preferred option would be a wide angle zoom, 50mm prime, and a telephoto zoom.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A 70-200 mm zoom should do the job, i.e. with the 1.5 crop factor, it is effectively a 105-300 mm lens.
    Agree the 70-200m lens for all round but if youre looking for scenic/landscape shots then I suggest the Sigma 10-20. Costs around $300 new but as noted above you can pick them up cheaper than this

Then use the Youtube videos to work out your shooting strategies. For example theres loads about landscape photography

The more you practice before you go the better the photos. And remember to take several spare memory cards and at least one spare battery as well. Its always a good idea to regularly download/upload your photos onto your laptop or cloud storage that way if there any problems you dont lose all your work

Last thing, have you thought about a tripod to make sure there''s no camera shake with the scenery shots

Post some your your shots so we can enjoy them as well

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming, I've been looking for something up to around 200m. I'd like to use it for scenic shots but unfortunately will need it a little more all round because otherwise I won't get a chance to use it for a long time.

How does this look guys? https://www.dpreview.com/products/ni...00_4-5p6_vr_ii