+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cardiff, growing too fast?

Re: Cardiff, growing too fast?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Expensive !

All day ticket on Cardiff Bus is £3-40p

I have not taken the car to town or footie for years, I think the people who knock the Bus service, are the ones that don't use it.
    I do detect from some a snobbery when it comes to bus travel in Wales , as if its some form of transport for winos, elderly and the infirm.

Me I love it , you meet the world and more and £3.40 for all day travel , is wonderful value ,cheaper than staying local and buying a pint of Guinness and some nuts.

To be fair Llandaf North and Whitchurch has excellent bus and rail services , nearly every 15 minutes of so, because of the valleys.

However as Paul points out, its crossing the other way where its appaling, best to keep of the roads in rush hour though.

Did catch leader of the council selling the virtue of cycling and improving that experince probaly to the detriment of car users , so he had his highly paid team have had a chat to be fair,congestion charging looms , works in London , all folk use London Transport .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There was talk a couple of years ago about the line to Creigiau being rebuilt with a new station in Fairwater called "Keyston" being included, but canvassers for Plaid Cymru during the council elections told me that the new station would never happen and doubted the timescale for the line reopening.

There's a map on this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31418603

which includes the line to Creigau that in fact goes on to Talbot Green before joining the Swansea to Cardiff line at Pontyclun. There's also stations planned for Ely Mill, Culverhouse Cross and Rhoose and stations called Newport Road and St Mellons for east Cardiff, but it seems to me that a lot of existing stations (including Ninian Park) have disappeared!
    They are turning that line into a walking/cycle path this autumn

So much for me thinking it would be part of this elusive "metro" system

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Been working in the Llanrumney side of Rumney recently (sounds daft that but that area from the British Legion down is Rumney). The traffic getting out of Llanrumney Avenue in the morning looks horrendous, crazy that a housing estate as large as Llanrumney has only two roads out, Mount Pleasant Ave & Llanrumney Ave. Be even worse is all the residents had jobs and had to get to work every morning😂
    Bottom of Llanrumney slip road onto the dual carriageway would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Every year though.
    In 12 years time I'll have to leave at 6 am
    No you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    That's exactly what they are trying to achieve with the South Wales Metro. Unfortunately I can't see the system being anywhere near as extensive as it needs to be. But that's mainly due to a lack of money not a lack of will.
    We are absolutely desperate for The Metro.

I also used to hate bus lanes, but now realise that every full bus is 20 - 30 potential cars off the road, making car drivers' journeys quicker, not slower.

I also cannot state strongly enough, how many more cars would be kept off the road with a train service from St Mellons / East Cardiff. I was pissed off with that whilst living there, over 20 years ago.

I couldn't wait to live somewhere where I could use the train again.

Although I think the Cardiff East Park and Ride off the A48 and subsequent bus lanes has been a great idea for people there, and therefore other road users heading to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    No you won't.
    5 minutes earlier per year x 12 years = 1 hour.

Leave at 6.55 a time the moment from 7.15 4 years ago.

6.55 less 12x 5 minutes is 5.55, technically you are right.
    It'll be 5.55 not 6

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    5 minutes earlier per year x 12 years = 1 hour.

Leave at 6.55 a time the moment from 7.15 4 years ago.

6.55 less 12x 5 minutes is 5.55, technically you are right.
    It'll be 5.55 not 6

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Llandaff North to town by car takes around 10 mins, a few more mins at busy times.

On the bus it takes 30 mins and you get to listen to people inexplicably talking much too loudly, swearing a lot and infuriatingly playing shite music much too loudly on their phones.

Plus, it'll be far too hot in the summer, far too cold in the winter, the seat may have chewing gum stuck to it and if you have the gumption to be over 6 feet tall then you're going to break your kneecaps on the seat in front any time the bus stops.

EDIT: Oh, and the bus stops tend to have the glass smashed so the wind howls through while you wait for a bus that sometimes simply does not arrive.

Why they keep replacing the windows with glass is a mystery to me, they must be made of money. When I lived in St. Mellons they put plastic ones in that evidently are a lot less fun to smash every day.
    They still scratched and smashed them.
    They've been replaced with metal grills now.

Think the message here from our leaders is " stay in " and became a keyboard warrior.