+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wolves to sign €20 million player?

Wolves to sign €20 million player?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/portugal-w...al-worth-e20m/

Very strange deal.
    Financial fair play anyone?

Re: Wolves to sign €20 million player?

Fair play only applies to us, Derby,Forest and the rest can spend,spend,spend

Ah, I was just about to post a thread on this. There's an interesting article here from the guardian last week:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...wners-signings

Pretty much, Wolves were taken over by a Chinese billionaire last year who happens to be mates with "super-agent" Jorge Mendes. Mendes is acting as an advisor for Wolves aka sending players that his company represents to Wolves. Last year they signed Ivan Cavaleiro for £7m, Helder Costa for £13m and now appear to be on the verge of signing highly-rated midfielder Ruben Neves for £18m. They also changed their manager this summer and are now managed by last year's Porto manager Nuno Espirito Santo, who, you guessed it, is also represented by Mendes' company.

Incredible signing if they pull it off, Neves is one of the brightest prospects in European football

Surely there's something illegal about Mendez (an agent) havng such influence on a club's transfer policy?

They spent 13 mil on costa in January to make the loan permanent, and he looks quality. They're gonna be up there next year, but how are they able to spend another 20ish mil under financial fair play is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    They spent 13 mil on costa in January to make the loan permanent, and he looks quality. They're gonna be up there next year, but how are they able to spend another 20ish mil under financial fair play is a mystery.
    You can make an 80m loss over 3 seasons , so if you get promoted then you can make a gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You can make an 80m loss over 3 seasons , so if you get promoted then you can make a gamble
    What is the fine? I'm sure the billionaire owner can pay it. Unless the fine is demotion followed by expulsion, it's always going to be exploited by clubs with rich owners.

Not sure I'd be comfortable if I was a Wolves fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    What is the fine? I'm sure the billionaire owner can pay it. Unless the fine is demotion followed by expulsion, it's always going to be exploited by clubs with rich owners.

Not sure I'd be comfortable if I was a Wolves fan.
    I found this article quite useful: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/f...-explained.php

What I took out of it is that Wolves would be able to make a loss of £39m over three seasons before any potential punishment and the punishment could be anything from a fine to a points deduction