+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geraint Thomas

Re: Geraint Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    He's a top man but surely 'cool Arsenal fan' is an oxymoron.

Not a bad bunch all in all. Cav and Froome are the best at what they do, Millar and Boardman have turned into good pundits too. Millar's running commentary on how well Cav was reading the finish today was amazing, I've no idea how he did that. So much going on but he still had time to appreciate Cav's incredible instinct for getting on the right wheel in those situations. Boardman's assessment of the crash was spot-on I think, it wasn't quite as black and white as it seemed at the time and Sagan is probably unlucky to be thrown out. I wonder if Geraint will move into tv when he retires? He's got the personality for it.

Good race so far, won't be quite the same without Cav and Sagan (and without G in yellow) but I'll be following it all the same. Great sport.
    Agree that some of the excitement has gone. But the race is won in the mountains or the time trials. Neither missing affects this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Agree that some of the excitement has gone. But the race is won in the mountains or the time trials. Neither missing affects this.
    That's true but the great thing about Cav and Sagan is that they make the 'boring' days interesting. Real characters who can liven up even the most straightforward looking stage and, in Sagan's case, that's not just the sprint stages either. As you say, neither would have affected the GC battle but the race as a whole will be poorer without them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    ^^^^this Sagan has gone down in my estimation, firstly for his action but even more so for trying to defend it, if he's reinstated it's a farce. Similar to vettel. Deliberate action but the perpetrators see no wrong
    There was no contact with the elbow though. It only flicks up after the collision but Sagan said he was trying to get his balance and as his left leg comes out at the same time then that's plausible although only he knows. It seemed odd that Cav made so much of the elbow afterwards, he must have realised it wasn't the reason he went down. I'm not sure why Sagan wasn't allowed to put his side to the commissaires and I've no idea how they decided that his punishment should be increased after they had a chance to view the footage from different angles and in slow motion. Sagan can be a clumsy sprinter but he's certainly not the first, Cav has decked a few riders in his time and Abdoujaparov would never have made it to Paris if sprinting in a straight line was compulsory.

My wife works with G 's mum although she has retired and works voluntarily 1 day a week. They are genuinely a lovely humble family.

Crashed today on a wet descent and broken his collarbone. Not having much luck this year.
    Will also harm Chris Froomes chances of an overall victory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Crashed today on a wet descent and broken his collarbone. Not having much luck this year.
    Will also harm Chris Froomes chances of an overall victory.
    Fascinating days racing but a knock to Welsh interest with G out and Luke Rowe not having his best tour.

G isn't out... still in race isn't he?

Rowe's role is to help the team, his individual performances are for Froome...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    G isn't out... still in race isn't he?

Rowe's role is to help the team, his individual performances are for Froome...
    Rowe's question is "how long can you lead out Froome for?" and I don't think the answer is as long as last year. G is out today but it's early eniugh into the race that I do not think it's a bad spoiler.

This is a great watch. If you haven't followed then do watch the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Rowe's question is "how long can you lead out Froome for?" and I don't think the answer is as long as last year. G is out today but it's early eniugh into the race that I do not think it's a bad spoiler.

This is a great watch. If you haven't followed then do watch the highlights.
    Rowe imo is just one cog in a quality Sky team. Other teams don't have the depth - with Porte out, don't see anyone really wearing the yellow in Paris other than Froome.

Rowe imo is just one cog in a quality Sky team. Other teams don't have the depth - with Porte out, don't see anyone really wearing the yellow in Paris other than Froome.
    Bardet's team's tactics were great today but the Itv crew couldn't understand how Froome could so easily persuade others to help out Sky after that final descent. If others are so slow and respectful in their tactical thinking then Froome is a shoe-in.

Bardet's team's tactics were great today but the Itv crew couldn't understand how Froome could so easily persuade others to help out Sky after that final descent. If others are so slow and respectful in their tactical thinking then Froome is a shoe-in.
    ITV?

ITV?

Blasphemer - it's Eurosport coverage or nothing. Carton Kirby is the god of commentators. Plus they show every km of the race this year.

I didn't get Boardman's point there, surely that little group wasn't going to gain anything by sitting in Froome's wheel to the finish? They were just losing time to Bardet and giving the group behind (with Quintana, Yates and Martin in) a chance to catch up. Froome probably said to them that he could afford to lose a minute or so but they couldn't so it was best all round if the group worked together to chase Bardet down. Maybe I was missing something.

What a stage. I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it because of all the injuries but it had everything today.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I didn't get Boardman's point there, surely that little group wasn't going to gain anything by sitting in Froome's wheel to the finish? They were just losing time to Bardet and giving the group behind (with Quintana, Yates and Martin in) a chance to catch up. Froome probably said to them that he could afford to lose a minute or so but they couldn't so it was best all round if the group worked together to chase Bardet down. Maybe I was missing something.

What a stage. I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it because of all the injuries but it had everything today.
    big shame that Thomas and Porte are out, Porte in particular looks a nasty injury

big shame that Thomas and Porte are out, Porte in particular looks a nasty injury
    Fractured clavicle and pelvis. No surgery planned at moment, 4-6 weeks of rest so should be back on bike in August.

Fractured clavicle and pelvis. No surgery planned at moment, 4-6 weeks of rest so should be back on bike in August.
    these injuries plus Can have taken the gloss off the tour for me, Porte looked in prime form and Froome s biggest threat

these injuries plus Can have taken the gloss off the tour for me, Porte looked in prime form and Froome s biggest threat
    Aru is looking up for it, Fuglsang could be a dark horse.