+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: HMRC help for my daughter please.

HMRC help for my daughter please.

My daughter is having troubles with the HMRC and I said if she emailed her problem I'd post it on here as there's normally good advice given on here.

Here's her email to me, thanks in advance for any help, I'm going to post her the link to this thread.

Hi dad,

I've recently been hired under an agency as a production operative in a factory, the only problem is I can't start working until I have officical proof of my National Insurance number from a P45, P60 or a tax sheet. I don't have a P45 available, I've never had a P60 or tax sheets as I've never paid tax. To get proof from HMRC I've attempted to make a tax account online so I can print out my evidence straight away rather than wait 3 weeks for it to be posted; but this has caused more problems.
    To make a tax account online I need to be able to confirm my identity through Experian Identity Check as I don't have a valid UK passport, it expired years ago and I'm a child in my picture so I can't use that. Experian said that my driver's licence number is invalid so I rang DVLA and they said I've got the correct number. Then I went on to call Experian to see what the problem is, and after some checking online they found that they've input my name wrong on the system. The man on the phone said that he can delete it and I can make a new one, but that there's basically no point as Experian won't be able to confirm my identity because I've never had a credit card or any phone contracts come out of my account, therefore I don't have a credit score.
    After ringing HMRC time and time again, asking if they can fax the sheet they would send via post to my local job centre, they've told me that the only thing I can do is to wait the 3 weeks for it to arrive to my house. This is causing me massive problems as I can't start work until then and I want to start working ASAP.
    I've had the idea of ringing them when they open on Monday and to see if I can drive to wherever they may be to pick up the sheet directly from them and drop it off to my employers, but I have a strong feeling HMRC will say no because they seem to be almost intentionally telling me every idea I have to shorten the time waiting is impossible.
    I would appreciate any advice on this matter as right now it's causing quite large problems in my life.

Re: HMRC help for my daughter please.

Why do they make it so hard for those who want to work?

Have you thought about contacting Citizens Advice? They may be able to offer some assistance.

It's a pain for her, she's in uni, obviously off during the holidays. All she wants is to earn some money to pay back some debts.

Your post got me thinking about how I got my NI number all those years ago. I don't remember having to apply for one, so it must have been sent to me.

I've had a browse and found this on the Government website (https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number)

You should be sent a National Insurance number automatically just before your 16th birthday if you live in the UK.

Call the National Insurance numbers helpline if you didn’t get one and you’re under 20.

If you’re over 20 and haven’t been sent one, call the Jobcentre Plus application line.

Did your daughter get given an NI number some time back (when she was 16) and has forgotten that she was sent it? It looks like the system is not infallible though, otherwise they would not be giving the advice that they do?

Is there anything on here Uni papers that will show her National insurance number?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Is there anything on here Uni papers that will show her National insurance number?
    Very unlikely, I would have thought, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Very unlikely, I would have thought, unfortunately.
    Student loan paperwork I was thinking

My daughter knows her national insurance number, but she needs official documents to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    My daughter knows her national insurance number, but she needs official documents to prove it.
    They just send a letter with the number on these days. They used to issue NI Cards.
    I guess they expect you to keep that piece of paper for life and photocopy it to give to your employer.

this is weird. all the jobs i have had and ive never been asked to prove my ni number in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Student loan paperwork I was thinking
    Yes I'm fairly sure this would have NI number

Thanks for all your replies, she's just phoned me and said she's just found a letter from HMRC with her NI on it. Hopefully this will do.

If she can get some evidence of the communication with Experian and hmrc and show the employer that she is making effort to obtain the the docs she wants, collect together other evidence of who she is and nino in form of student loan or otherwise and try to play to their good nature. If the workplace isn't willing to play ball with all that then perhaps a mistake which has been missed and your daughter has a good interview answer about how she responded to a challenge for a better employer.

Feedback

https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc...emplate=SC.xdp

HMRCs new starter form when P45 etc is not available

Thanks once again for all your help with this, she's following this thread and asked me to thank you all too.

An informal email to the old man is word perfect without trying to impress. That suggests she has tons upstairs and can do miles better than exploitative agency work however temporary. Impress upon her to turn her guns on becoming a leader rather than a follower. With the necessary belief she'll become a Cyncoed homeowner.