+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford money-ball article

Brentford money-ball article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...h-huge-budgets

I'm not sure I agree with all that is said but I agree a starting question can always be "what can we do better than most and how do we use that to succeed?". What would the answer be for City?

Re: Brentford money-ball article

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tony-b...ography-2017-4

I read this similar article on Brightons Chairman Tony Bloom a few months ago.

He's big rivals with the Brentford Chairman in business but their stats based method of governing, which was scoffed at initially is bearing fruits for both clubs already.

Well worth a read, Bloom is one smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

He's big rivals with the Brentford Chairman in business but their stats based method of governing, which was scoffed at initially is bearing fruits for both clubs already.

Interesting, though I am naturally opposed to football going too far down the money-ball/betting route.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Interesting, though I am naturally opposed to football going too far down the money-ball/betting route.
    It's a thin and dangerous line but I admire the concept and don't think the two have to overlap in a negative way.

Great read. He is obviously intelligent in the extreme. It's easy to daydream about a life like that but for every Bloom there are thousands and thousands that lose money hand over foot

It's a thin and dangerous line but I admire the concept and don't think the two have to overlap in a negative way.
    Indeed.

What I found most interesting was the reasoning behind Warburton's dismissal. Previously would have argued against it but this explanation seems to make sense and was a admirably brave call.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Indeed.

What I found most interesting was the reasoning behind Warburton's dismissal. Previously would have argued against it but this explanation seems to make sense and was a admirably brave call.
    The Warburton sacking prompted the widespread scorn in the rags over their method of running their club.
    Their stats based analysis of the game prompted signings like Scott Hogan and made a £14m profit in that deal alone. The whole business model is about finding that edge and statistically what makes a player great. The more you read about it the more it makes sense.

The Warburton sacking prompted the widespread scorn in the rags over their method of running their club.
    Their stats based analysis of the game prompted signings like Scott Hogan and made a £14m profit in that deal alone. The whole business model is about finding that edge and statistically what makes a player great. The more you read about it the more it makes sense.
    But have they been so close to promotion again? £14 million is only half Brentford's method outlined here while other half is their negotiating skill and Villa's desperation. On a smaller scale, we sold Steve MacClean for far more than we bought him for, or he was worth, but we were miles from moneyball at the time.

Warburton clearly has something about him too, but easier to see reasoning behind the decision now. I think there needs to be a blend between science/economics and romance for a club to be truly successful.

Brentford's edge seems to be this system and this system exploiting their London location. What could Cardiff's be?

Brighton have made huge losses for years chasing the dream.
    To me it didn't seem any cleverer than what we did under Malky.

Arguably he succeeded quicker and for less without all the associated bluster

They've got a point when they talk about Academys and their B Team approach. The current Academy system clearly disadvantages all but the top clubs as rarely a week goes by without a player being 'poached' by a top club and the compensation paid is always a pittance.

Excellent couple of articles, thanks for sharing.

Anyone know how advanced CCFC's use of analytics is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Excellent couple of articles, thanks for sharing.

Anyone know how advanced CCFC's use of analytics is?
    Looking at the staff section of the club website there seem to be 2 guys with analysis kinda roles, both relatively young.
    I may be doing them a disservice but it's hard to imagine 2 guys in their 20s having much sway over someone like Warnock.
    When Dalman described our transfer process a year or so ago, It didn't seem to be making the most effective use of analytics.
    The process seemed to be that scouts look for players then at some point before being presented to the transfer committee the analysis department cast their eye over them and produce a report.

That's probably better than no use of analytics, but it isn't getting the most benefit out of them.

To me, based on what players we need and how the manager wants to play the analysis department should be generating shortlists from all global players then feeding the best matches to the traditional scouts to evaluate, not the other way around.

I think there are a lot of parallels between use of analysis in football and the use of things like finite element analysis in engineering.
    I've been responsible for developing the engineering analysis at a couple of companies. It's been a while but I think most of the principals still apply. There seems to be a journey that most companies go on. Initially they just use the tools to make pretty pictures that aren't actually useful in any meaningful sense, then the next stage is to use analysis to check the work you've done at the end of the design process, next comes the more useful step to embed analysis early in the design process, to use it to steer and influence the design work rather than just check it, and finally to develop your own bespoke models more tailored to your needs.

Just guessing but it sounds like in the football equivalent we are in the 2nd part of that price at best, while some other clubs seem to be further along that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Brighton have made huge losses for years chasing the dream.
    To me it didn't seem any cleverer than what we did under Malky.

Arguably he succeeded quicker and for less without all the associated bluster
    £6.9m net loss on transfers in the last 4 years prior to promotion???

Stadium costs won't be cheap but a well managed club

Brentford made a decent looking signing today actually.

Defensive midfielder from FC Twente in Holland, for €1mill.
    Sounds like a decent player too.

Good reads, thanks for sharing.

Although as a gambling addict in recovery I now feel like going nuts 😂

I listened to an extended interview the other day with Rasmus Ankersen and the stat based scouting system is not as computer fed as these articles would lead us to believe.

There is still a hell of a lot of old fashioned 'eye for a player' that goes into this system.

It’s worth a listen, especially if you've got an interest in academy football.

https://youtu.be/S0iHetgqQpE

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I listened to an extended interview the other day with Rasmus Ankersen and the stat based scouting system is not as computer fed as these articles would lead us to believe.

There is still a hell of a lot of old fashioned 'eye for a player' that goes into this system.

It’s worth a listen, especially if you've got an interest in academy football.

https://youtu.be/S0iHetgqQpE
    I've watched moneyball. Simple concept.

Football has a lot more influences from external factors than baseball. Not really quantifiable as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I've watched moneyball. Simple concept.

Football has a lot more influences from external factors than baseball. Not really quantifiable as easily.
    It's not just baseball that this is used in, most American sports spend a lot of money doing this kind of thing, and they wouldn't be doing so if they didn't feel like it was giving them a benefit.
    Football is starting to catch up, but there are still plenty of clubs around that aren't into this at all.

A few years ago arsenal bought up a company of football analytics called stats DNA, Liverpool have also been investing in this area. I dare say that many other clubs are also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's not just baseball that this is used in, most American sports spend a lot of money doing this kind of thing, and they wouldn't be doing so if they didn't feel like it was giving them a benefit.
    Football is starting to catch up, but there are still plenty of clubs around that aren't into this at all.

A few years ago arsenal bought up a company of football analytics called stats DNA, Liverpool have also been investing in this area. I dare say that many other clubs are also.
    Maybe arsenal and Liverpool's transfer records aren't the best advert. Coutinho and firminio aside I wouldn't rank any of their signings surprising/good.