+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Queers and the BBC

Re: Queers and the BBC

I have a mate of 28 years Matthew
    whos gay we call him fruity (he couldn't careless about that infact he likes the fact hes got a nickname but I digress) we have since the late 1980s
    as you can imagine times were different then and he took a load of abuse and grief
    but he had to fight his corner a lot and hes earned a lot of respect for that
    HE calls the LBGTQI "fanatical scum" and they more trouble than they worth
    he told me don't start debating with them cos they will only throw the homophob card at you if you disagree
    infact many a time hes tried this theory out
    hes disagreed with what they have been saying and been called homophobic
    it was priceless he mentioned halfway through this guys rant "hang on mate I'm gay myself"
    he was then called a traitor for disagreeing with their agenda
    it did not bother him in the slightest
    but hes concerned about what the real agenda is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    To be fair channel 4 are also doing a gay season called 50 Shades of Gay, one of the shows is called 'Raised by Queers' I don't think it's a particularly flattering name for a tv programme tbh but is it homophobic?
    That's different though.

They're allowed to say it.

Just like black rappers can use the N word.

Us pussy lovin' honkies have to tread carefully.

Political correctness gone mad nqat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    That's different though.

They're allowed to say it.

Just like black rappers can use the N word.

Us pussy lovin' honkies have to tread carefully.

Political correctness gone mad nqat.
    Fun loving criminals are playing Cardiff pride big weekend this year, are these their special guests?

How long before this thread gets locked/deleted?
    Surprised it has lasted this long, tbh

To be fair channel 4 are also doing a gay season called 50 Shades of Gay, one of the shows is called 'Raised by Queers' I don't think it's a particularly flattering name for a tv programme tbh but is it homophobic?
    Now you see my issue is that to my mind such programmes, gay pride marches etc merely promote the fact that gay people are somehow different to the rest of us. They're not. They're just man/women/non-binary/whatever the correct term is this week.

Frankly what some bloke does at home with his boyfriend matters to me as much as what some other bloke does at home with his girlfriend. i.e Not at all.

We live in a society today where being gay is legal and acceptable, so why the need to celebrate ones sexuality? There may be some agenda with which I am unfamiliar, but surely the best way to be accepted as "normal" is to behave normally?

to be fair doctor
    everyone should be allowed to say what they like
    freedom of speech and all that
    banning of words or restriction of words reminds of the book 1984

101 % true

The amount of stuff on tv at the moment is to mark the 50th anniversary of the decriminalising of the uk gay laws.
    Personally I think its an important thing to be covered and attitudes have changed, I can see that through my kids. When I was their age being gay was something to be laughed at or feared, to them its nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    to be fair doctor
    Freedom of speech in the USA goes way beyond what we call freedom of speech here because it's enshrined in their Constitution, but they don't have absolute freedom of speech which you appear to advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    to be fair doctor
    Everyone is free to say what they want but shouldn't be expected not to be challenged on their attitudes and to face the consequences of what they've said.

Political correctness has been good for the progression of the U.K. In some situations it got took too far (I got in trouble for asking for black coffee in a meeting once ffs) but on the whole not being able to use racist and bigoted language has been great for the country.

I do think being straight white men we probably find it difficult to appreciate how much the lives of minorities in this country have improved due to political correctness and changing attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Everyone is free to say what they want but shouldn't be expected not to be challenged on their attitudes and to face the consequences of what they've said.
    What kind of consequences would you have people face for saying stuff?

You don't think terms like queer dancing are homophobic?
    Firstly, just saying "queer" isn't criticising someone for being gay.

Secondly:

Blog Entries

Political correctness has been good for the progression of the U.K. In some situations it got took too far (I got in trouble for asking for black coffee in a meeting once ffs) but on the whole not being able to use racist and bigoted language has been great for the country.

I do think being straight white men we probably find it difficult to appreciate how much the lives of minorities in this country have improved due to political correctness and changing attitudes.
    Is that judging people on their race and sexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Firstly, just saying "queer" isn't criticising someone for being gay.

Secondly:

Favourite month?

Is that judging people on their race and sexuality?
    Yes but by me who is that race and sexuality, I do think we have it easier than women, gay people and other races. Not every single white person but in my life I've never had to face any oppression or been abused due to my skin colour or beliefs so I think I always found it hard to emphasise with people who did.

I always had a very similar attitude to the colonel but when I moved from Wales I made a few friends who aren't white and seeing the stuff they have to put up with sometimes and how it can affect people who are normally not sensitive people made me rethink my opinion.

Blog Entries

Yes but by me who is that race and sexuality, I do think we have it easier than women, gay people and other races. Not every single white person but in my life I've never had to face any oppression or been abused due to my skin colour or beliefs so I think I always found it hard to emphasise with people who did.

I always had a very similar attitude to the colonel but when I moved from Wales I made a few friends who aren't white and seeing the stuff they have to put up with sometimes and how it can affect people who are normally not sensitive people made me rethink my opinion.
    Yeah I know you are that race and sexuality but I still don't think you can speak for everyone else of that race and sexuality, just as I don't speak for all straight women or a gay man doesn't speak for all gays, every person is different and should not be lumped in to categories, that was all I meant.

Yeah I know you are that race and sexuality but I still don't think you can speak for everyone else of that race and sexuality, just as I don't speak for all straight women or a gay man doesn't speak for all gays, every person is different and should not be lumped in to categories, that was all I meant.
    I'm not speaking for them all but I just think generally being born a straight white male in the western world is a big advantage. It isn't the be all and end all of course but there is definitely a much lower chance of facing prejudice. Not that anyone should feel guilty about that I just think sometimes we comment on prejudice as being only words when, for me at least, it was a situation I couldn't really emphasise with.

Blog Entries

I'm not speaking for them all but I just think generally being born a straight white male in the western world is a big advantage. It isn't the be all and end all of course but there is definitely a much lower chance of facing prejudice. Not that anyone should feel guilty about that I just think sometimes we comment on prejudice as being only words when, for me at least, it was a situation I couldn't really emphasise with.
    I know you are not now as you explained in your following post, I was just explaining what I meant, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Now you see my issue is that to my mind such programmes, gay pride marches etc merely promote the fact that gay people are somehow different to the rest of us. They're not. They're just man/women/non-binary/whatever the correct term is this week.

Frankly what some bloke does at home with his boyfriend matters to me as much as what some other bloke does at home with his girlfriend. i.e Not at all.

We live in a society today where being gay is legal and acceptable, so why the need to celebrate ones sexuality? There may be some agenda with which I am unfamiliar, but surely the best way to be accepted as "normal" is to behave normally?
    We live in a society where being gay is legal and more acceptable than it was - but I know from the experiences of close friends and family that it is not acceptable to a lot of people, and there is still discrimination and violence against those whose sexuality is still seen by some as unnatural or deviant. Until that changes there is a need for pride marches - to challenge the abuse and discrimination, and for mutual support and solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We live in a society where being gay is legal and more acceptable than it was - but I know from the experiences of close friends and family that it is not acceptable to a lot of people, and there is still discrimination and violence against those whose sexuality is still seen by some as unnatural or deviant. Until that changes there is a need for pride marches - to challenge the abuse and discrimination, and for mutual support and solidarity.
    I tend to agree with TH63 on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Robert Millar now Philippa York...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40529614
    Even the women wouldn't want him on their side .
    Warra monster .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Until that changes there is a need for pride marches - to challenge the abuse and discrimination, and for mutual support and solidarity.
    I posted a few years back about this, a work colleague of my wifes went to a " pride march "
    he wore a leopard print thong and a feather boa ( if my memory is right ) and minced around the entire day

i asked " why the need to go over the top with the mincing ? ? "

we know you are gay, you really do not need to wear such a " outfit to shock " and that is all it was, a outfit to shock, it had nothing to do with being gay

if you are gay, get on with it, no need to shout " look at me, look at me " which brings me to the little Britain sketch, they went overboard with it, but it was acceptable because Lucas is gay ? ? ?

are " pride marches " really to " to challenge the abuse and discrimination, and for mutual support and solidarity " or are they designed to shout " look at me being gay " ? ? ?

Oh and the term " mincing " is not meant to be a derogatory term ( though i can predict a few who will take offence at it ) , we all know the over the top campness that some gays act like

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I posted a few years back about this, a work colleague of my wifes went to a " pride march "
    he wore a leopard print thong and a feather boa ( if my memory is right ) and minced around the entire day

i asked " why the need to go over the top with the mincing ? ? "

we know you are gay, you really do not need to wear such a " outfit to shock " and that is all it was, a outfit to shock, it had nothing to do with being gay

if you are gay, get on with it, no need to shout " look at me, look at me " which brings me to the little Britain sketch, they went overboard with it, but it was acceptable because Lucas is gay ? ? ?

are " pride marches " really to " to challenge the abuse and discrimination, and for mutual support and solidarity " or are they designed to shout " look at me being gay " ? ? ?

Oh and the term " mincing " is not meant to be a derogatory term ( though i can predict a few who will take offence at it ) , we all know the over the top campness that some gays act like
    Look it's blue Matt with anecdotal evidence that's something new!

I think the real question is what's your problem with mincing about? Pride marches are to both challenge the abuse and discrimination and about look at me I'm gay and proud of it, hence the word pride.

What little Britain sketch did they go overboard with?

The worst thing about this post though is using "work colleague" how many other types of colleague do you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    In my book, consenting adults can do whatever they choose to do together in private. Should a bloke want to insert his pecker in some bloke or woman's Aris then all fine and dandy. But no law, or attempts to normalise via happy-clappy news stories will ever convince me that sodomy is anything other than abnormal and deviant behaviour.

Say what you will about our much maligned Muslim friends but they would never indulge in arse banditry. Well, not with humans anyhow. That's not to say they wouldn't be tempted if an attractive goat came into view.
    You don't know much about muslims then !
    Women are for child bearing and men are for pleasure ...

Look it's blue Matt with anecdotal evidence that's something new!

I think the real question is what's your problem with mincing about? Pride marches are to both challenge the abuse and discrimination and about look at me I'm gay and proud of it, hence the word pride.

What little Britain sketch did they go overboard with?

The worst thing about this post though is using "work colleague" how many other types of colleague do you get?
    Badmington colleague ?