+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Queers and the BBC

Re: Queers and the BBC

Quite a few people showing themselves up as being out of touch, backwards old men in this thread. Truly embarrassing for the board the attitudes and language used.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Quite a few people showing themselves up as being out of touch, backwards old men in this thread. Truly embarrassing for the board the attitudes and language used.
    Spot on mate. I'll be glad when the old fags die off and leave the world to us young, dynamic folk so we can all live in harmony in our new politically correct, multi-gendered melting-pot utopia in which nobody ever gets hurt or hears nasty words ever ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Spot on mate. I'll be glad when the old fags die off and leave the world to us young, dynamic folk so we can all live in harmony in our new politically correct, multi-gendered melting-pot utopia in which nobody ever gets hurt or hears nasty words ever ever again.
    I've got no problem with nasty words but the sooner we are rid of people who judge others based purely on race or sexuality the better.

I can't get it in my head that someone looks at a poster for something and thinks about the number of brown people on it or sees someone on tv and cares about whether the person is gay or straight.

What are you so scared of

Or shall we revert to golden days of bigotry and racism.

It should be noted that this guy who thinks homophobia and bigotry are just bad words once set up his own forum because he was hounded off a football messageboard because people were making fun of him.

It's 2017 and don'tgotogamesphobia is still running wild.

I've got no problem with nasty words but the sooner we are rid of people who judge others based purely on race or sexuality the better.

I can't get it in my head that someone looks at a poster for something and thinks about the number of brown people on it or sees someone on tv and cares about whether the person is gay or straight.
    Only one of us is looking to be "rid of" a certain type of person we don't agree with. Is that your final solution?

As if judging people by their appearance isn't something everyone in the world does naturally. What terrible thing do you think happens when someone is "judged" anyway?

It should be noted that this guy who thinks homophobia and bigotry are just bad words once set up his own forum because he was hounded off a football messageboard because people were making fun of him.

It's 2017 and don'tgotogamesphobia is still running wild.
    I don't think that "homophobia and bigotry are just bad words" and I didn't set up my own forum either.

I completely understand that you've had to resort to just making stuff up though.

Only one of us is looking to be "rid of" a certain type of person we don't agree with. Is that your final solution?

As if judging people by their appearance isn't something everyone in the world does naturally. What terrible thing do you think happens when someone is "judged" anyway?
    It isn't people who don't agree with me it's the people who judge people based on things they can't change. There are plenty of terrible things that happen due to people being judged, less likely to get considered for a job, more likely to be assaulted, more likely to be arrested, negative effects on mental health.

It's very easy for straight white men like us to say "what's wrong with being judged" but I imagine unless you're the one being persecuted for something you have no control over your whole life it's hard to appreciate how hard it is.

It's worth noting that whenever progress has been made through history there have always been people saying "what's the big deal", in the 80s there were people saying what's the big deal with throwing bananas at black players, it's only a bit of fun.

I don't think that "homophobia and bigotry are just bad words" and I didn't set up my own forum either.

I completely understand that you've had to resort to just making stuff up though.
    If you look up the word flounce in the dictionary it probably has your photo next to it.

It isn't people who don't agree with me it's the people who judge people based on things they can't change. There are plenty of terrible things that happen due to people being judged, less likely to get considered for a job, more likely to be assaulted, more likely to be arrested, negative effects on mental health.

It's very easy for straight white men like us to say "what's wrong with being judged" but I imagine unless you're the one being persecuted for something you have no control over your whole life it's hard to appreciate how hard it is.

It's worth noting that whenever progress has been made through history there have always been people saying "what's the big deal", in the 80s there were people saying what's the big deal with throwing bananas at black players, it's only a bit of fun.
    Right, so when you use the word "judged" you're actually talking about someone being assaulted or arrested? You might want to make that kind of thing clearer in discussions like these.

There's just no way you could possibly think that I'm here saying assault and false arrest are totally acceptable, you're just grasping at straws.

If you look up the word flounce in the dictionary it probably has your photo next to it.
    Possibly. I wonder how you would have held up getting some of the messages I was getting at the time though. Over a shirt colour.

Obviously I'm not gay or brown enough for my feelings to matter but it got quite hairy for a while so I cleared off until it cooled down a bit.

Right, so when you use the word "judged" you're actually talking about someone being assaulted or arrested? You might want to make that kind of thing clearer in discussions like these.

There's just no way you could possibly think that I'm here saying assault and false arrest are totally acceptable, you're just grasping at straws.
    I'm not grasping at straws you're missing the bigger picture.

Even ignoring the other negatives that come from being a minority spending your whole life being judged because of something you have no affect over is awful, why do you think gay people find coming out so difficult even in 2017? There's a still a huge stigma attached to it because of how people judge them.

Why do you think there hasn't been a single gay premier league footballer who's come out? Because they know how they'll be judged. Homophobia on the terraces will be looked back on as similar to the racism on the terraces in the 80s and threads like this and the language used show that we are a long way from erradicating it.

Possibly. I wonder how you would have held up getting some of the messages I was getting at the time though. Over a shirt colour.

Obviously I'm not gay or brown enough for my feelings to matter but it got quite hairy for a while so I cleared off until it cooled down a bit.
    It's only words though?

U shud have noked them out

I wud hav noked them out

It's only words though?
    In the colonels defence, he is a bit of a poof though.

I'm not grasping at straws you're missing the bigger picture.

Even ignoring the other negatives that come from being a minority spending your whole life being judged because of something you have no affect over is awful, why do you think gay people find coming out so difficult even in 2017? There's a still a huge stigma attached to it because of how people judge them.

Why do you think there hasn't been a single gay premier league footballer who's come out? Because they know how they'll be judged. Homophobia on the terraces will be looked back on as similar to the racism on the terraces in the 80s and threads like this and the language used show that we are a long way from erradicating it.
    You use the word "judge" like the Yanks used napalm in Vietnam, you just chuck it everywhere and hope it hits a target.

Use some more specific wording if you want to actually make a point.

It's only words though?
    They judged the hell out of me Croesy Blue/8 Stars/Whatever you're called this week. They judged me right off the forum for a while and I went and posted on another judge for a bit before judging back here to pick up where I left judge.

Hopefully the Beeb will make a documentary about me now.

You use the word "judge" like the Yanks used napalm in Vietnam, you just chuck it everywhere and hope it hits a target.

Use some more specific wording if you want to actually make a point.
    I think you don't know what it means. If you are judging someone based on something like sexuality you're a backwards moron whichever way you want to word it.

You can argue it's just words and that it has no effect all day, but if you are doing it, it shows a complete lack of intelligence or empathy.

I think you don't know what it means. If you are judging someone based on something like sexuality you're a backwards moron whichever way you want to word it.

You can argue it's just words and that it has no effect all day, but if you are doing it, it shows a complete lack of intelligence or empathy.
    I know what the word "judge" means. I also know it isn't a catch-all term for everything bad that's ever happened to minorities throughout history.

Interestingly, probably the most judgemental person in this entire thread has been... you. Here's a little selection of the things you've said:

"out of touch, backwards old men"

"the sooner we are rid of people who judge others based purely on race or sexuality the better"

"backwards moron"

"a complete lack of intelligence or empathy"

What if these backwards old men you seem to hate turn out to be black and gay?! What a quandary you'd be in then.

If a gay or black person was being a backwards more I'd talk them. Being gay doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism in the slightest. I think Kaitlyn Jenner is a detestable vacuous scum bag but it has nothing to do with his/her sexuality.

The thing is thinking someone is a backwards idiot because they're homophobic is fine because that's a choice they've made. Thinking negatively about some just because there gay isn't fine because they've had no choice in that.

If you're just silently judging someone that's harmless, it doesn't make you less of an out of touch idiot though.

And the OP wasn't just silently judging, he's using genuine slurs against gay people while saying he's not homophobic, but using words like that he clearly is.

The thing is there will be gay Cardiff city fans, there will be gay members of this messageboard. Imagine how they must feel to log on to read this board and seeing this thread.

I know what the word "judge" means. I also know it isn't a catch-all term for everything bad that's ever happened to minorities throughout history.

Interestingly, probably the most judgemental person in this entire thread has been... you. Here's a little selection of the things you've said:

"out of touch, backwards old men"

"the sooner we are rid of people who judge others based purely on race or sexuality the better"

"backwards moron"

"a complete lack of intelligence or empathy"

What if these backwards old men you seem to hate turn out to be black and gay?! What a quandary you'd be in then.
    You must realise how much of a strawman argument this is too? Not once has anyone said you can't criticise someone who is back or gay. You just can't criticise them for being black or gay.

You must realise how much of a strawman argument this is too? Not once has anyone said you can't criticise someone who is back or gay. You just can't criticise them for being black or gay.
    Show me where in the original post people were being criticised for being gay or black.

Show me where in the original post people were being criticised for being gay or black.
    You don't think terms like queer dancing are homophobic?

But Shirley you cant take anything posted in that OP as serious though?
    To me it was obviously sarcasm, in the language used, to the mention of strictly come dancing. The most obvious gay friendly programme of all time.

Blog Entries

To be fair channel 4 are also doing a gay season called 50 Shades of Gay, one of the shows is called 'Raised by Queers' I don't think it's a particularly flattering name for a tv programme tbh but is it homophobic?