+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Best

George Best

he would rip up Love Island tbf

Re: George Best

I can't think of any other naturally talented footballer or playboy , that gets anywhere near him from these shores ,ever.

I watched the documentry on BBC 2 last week about George Best excess in all areas was the way he was summed up.
    i loved him and he was the greatest footballer we've ever had....a true legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I watched the documentry on BBC 2 last week about George Best excess in all areas was the way he was summed up.
    i loved him and he was the greatest footballer we've ever had....a true legend.
    I was watching it last night, hence the thread. Some footage I hadnt seen before. Very sad.

I was a bit disappointed with that documentary. It started superbly with a black and white shot of a bearded Best (any time you see a picture of him with a beard during his playing days, it means he was into his pretty sharp decline when it was taken/filmed) wearing a Man United kit in a dressing room. The camera closed in until I just couldn't stop looking at his eyes - Best's ability to "get off" with virtually any woman he wanted to was not just down to the way he played his football, but the eyes of this very handsome man had a frightened and haunted look which hinted at the demons that, despite that memorable line about "where did it all go wrong George?", ultimately destroyed him, while also ensuring that he only reached about 50 per cent of his potential.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a great deal after that to provide any new lowdown on the most talented British footballer I've seen - my own feeling is that sometimes having everything come to you so easily in life can be a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I can't think of any other naturally talented footballer or playboy , that gets anywhere near him from these shores ,ever.
    There were some interesting and talented mavericks a bit further down the food chain though: Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh and Tony Currie.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Unfortunately, there wasn't a great deal after that to provide any new lowdown on the most talented British footballer I've seen - my own feeling is that sometimes having everything come to you so easily in life can be a curse.
    I agree to an extent TOBW, as you say, the playing side of things came naturally an easily to him. Arguably, the most naturally talented footballer this country has ever seen.

Less easy for what was a young, quiet, shy inexperienced young lad, away from his family and friends was the fame and all that went with it. There were no agents or sports psychologists in those days or any kind of pastoral care.

Many people will, sadly, remember the bumbling oaf that appeared on Wogan, I consider myself lucky to remember the player.

way over rated

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    way over rated
    School finished for the day?

whats your problem.

whats your problem.
    I don't have a problem, I just hadn't realised you were so young that you never saw him play.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I don't have a problem, I just hadn't realised you were so young that you never saw him play.
    To be fair, Best retired from proper football over 40 years ago - but it's nice to think that I'm still in the 'so young' category.

way over rated
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWWA-h_-5g

All with a leather ball, heavy pitches and playing against defenders who were animals, without refs giving him any protection.

way over rated
    Yes of course he was. Wasn't a patch on Mark Hately in 1993z

First Team

What a player in all senses of the word.
    Paid a huge price and those last few years were not great.
    Possibly one of the most naturally talented players ever to grace the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I like to think you're being 100% serious and you lived in an alternate universe that had a year called 1993z in which Mark Hately was the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Some of us remember his father, Tony Hateley (who once had a date with my aunty in Coventry).

kris boyd is the best ever footbaler in living memory.

How many feet did he bale?

Saw John Barnes on Sunday Brunch the other week and he made the same point regarding the defenders when asked how Ronaldo and Messi rate in all time greatness,he quite rightly pointed out these players score all these goals in a time when defenders cant tackle anymore,i think Bestie would have been bored playing today he used to thrive on the kicks he used to get and he could tackle as well. An absolute genius.

I always suspected you were a wum. Now we know for sure

Quote Originally Posted by hueypianosmith View Post
    Saw John Barnes on Sunday Brunch the other week and he made the same point regarding the defenders when asked how Ronaldo and Messi rate in all time greatness,he quite rightly pointed out these players score all these goals in a time when defenders cant tackle anymore,i think Bestie would have been bored playing today he used to thrive on the kicks he used to get and he could tackle as well. An absolute genius.
    Don't forget that pitches have improved considerably.

Banned

Talented footballer who was surrounded by talented team mates.
    No comment from BC says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There were some interesting and talented mavericks a bit further down the food chain though: Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh and Tony Currie.
    And our own Robin Friday who had astonishing skills , more maverick skills :
    Peter Knowles
    Matt Le Tissier
    Stan Bowles
    Cantona
    Charlie George
    Alan Hudson.
    Zlatan.
    Peter Osgood.
    Di Canio.
    Gazza.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Talented footballer who was surrounded by talented team mates.
    No comment from BC says it all.
    Russell Mark Slade wouldn't have been fooled by the damn charlatan eh?
    He'd have likely kept him on the bench until sensing the need for a holding midfielder in the 89th minute.