+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Mcnaughton retires

Re: Kevin Mcnaughton retires

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Couldn't ask for anymore, he gave it his all and he was brilliant for us. Haven't replaced him since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Who has been a better right back since? You could argue Richards but hasn't played more than half a season yet.

We've had:
    Theophile
    Connolly
    Peltier
    Richards

Perhaps Fabio as he played there a few times.

McNaughton in his prime for me over all of those. I'd only take Richards.
    Wasn't a fan of Theopile but for me the rest are as good as Kev. All pretty much same same as in good defenders, not very good going forward with the exception of Richards who is better technically than the rest.

For me he has been replaced and we are no weaker for not having Kev at right back anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wasn't a fan of Theopile but for me the rest are as good as Kev. All pretty much same same as in good defenders, not very good going forward with the exception of Richards who is better technically than the rest.

For me he has been replaced and we are no weaker for not having Kev at right back anymore.
    Connolly and Peltier don't have Kev's pace or acceleration. I think Kev's end product, while not good, has been the victim of fan-talk exaggeration - we haven't had more threatening attacking full-backs (as in a combination of them rather than individual talent) than super-kev and 'pm dudders' Gilbert from Dj's time onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I disagree but I respect your points.

Women assistant referees breath a sigh of relief, dear God, he gave her some welly!

super Kev our silver fox
    a bluebirds legend in my books
    all the best for the future mate

I've seen it said quite often that when, from nowhere really, we made that great start to the 2006/07 season, it was Ricky Scimeca who best exemplified the spirit and intensity we played at that, for a short while, no other Championship side could live with, but, for me, it was new signing Super Kev who caught my eye with some amazing performances at left back.

The months and years that followed brought realisation that he was not as good as those first ten or so displays in a City shirt suggested, but he was still one of our best signings since we returned to this division in 2003.

I agree with the suggestion that, while he was not brilliant going forward, he was not as bad as many City fans make him out to be now.

Most of all though, off the tap of my head, I cannot think of another City player this millennium who exemplified the connection that should be there between player and fan at the club they represent than Kevin McNaughton. It's strange, but, being from Dundee, there cannot be many domestic players who sprang from further away than Cardiff than him this century, yet he was the City fan out on the pitch more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've seen it said quite often that when, from nowhere really, we made that great start to the 2006/07 season, it was Ricky Scimeca who best exemplified the spirit and intensity we played at that, for a short while, no other Championship side could live with, but, for me, it was new signing Super Kev who caught my eye with some amazing performances at left back.

The months and years that followed brought realisation that he was not as good as those first ten or so displays in a City shirt suggested, but he was still one of our best signings since we returned to this division in 2003.

I agree with the suggestion that, while he was not brilliant going forward, he was not as bad as many City fans make him out to be now.

Most of all though, off the tap of my head, I cannot think of another City player this millennium who exemplified the connection that should be there between player and fan at the club they represent than Kevin McNaughton. It's strange, but, being from Dundee, there cannot be many domestic players who sprang from further away than Cardiff than him this century, yet he was the City fan out on the pitch more than anyone else.
    And the other City legend to hail from Dundee was .......................?

I still miss that one moment a season when it looked like kev might have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    And the other City legend to hail from Dundee was .......................?
    My mistake. The guy played for Dundee (twice) but was born in Glasgow.

My mistake. The guy played for Dundee (twice) but was born in Glasgow.
    Before my time, but I was thinking Danny Malloy, then Gavin Rae - I'll stick with my first guess.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Before my time, but I was thinking Danny Malloy, then Gavin Rae - I'll stick with my first guess.
    Neither of those 2 Bob.

Neither of those 2 Bob.
    He was one of only 7 players to have scored 350 league goals in British Football.

That would be Hughie Ferguson I believe from the 1927 legends. Amazing goal scoring record. Tragic story sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That would be Hughie Ferguson I believe from the 1927 legends. Amazing goal scoring record. Tragic story sadly.
    👍

👍
    Amazingly never capped for Scotland!!