+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sorry but how can you "reclaim" a word? Whatever next, different versions of the dictionary to accomodate minoritys?

Its either a word we can all use without causing offence, or it shouldnt be used by anyone.

And whilst we are on the subject why is "****'s" deemed to be so offensive? No different to calling us Welshies or Taffies? Plus its quicker to say than Pakistanis.
    Well, yes I kind of see where you're going with that one. I mean it's ok to call Australians "Aussies", Polish people "Poles", Turkish people as "Turks", so why not shorten Pakistanis? Probably because it used to be followed by the word "Bastard" and was used to cause offence to anyone who seemed to be from that part of the world.

End of the day, it's all about context and the implied meaning behind it.

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Well, yes I kind of see where you're going with that one. I mean it's ok to call Australians "Aussies", Polish people "Poles", Turkish people as "Turks", so why not shorten Pakistanis? Probably because it used to be followed by the word "Bastard" and was used to cause offence to anyone who seemed to be from that part of the world.

French Bastard is of course still fine because they're not that much browner than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    French Bastard is of course still fine because they're not that much browner than us.
    Indeed.

Well it isn't fine you're still making a complete twat of yourself if you say it. Just the fact it wasn't a wide spread racial slur used by loads of people means it doesn't have the history behind it and it isn't as offensive.

Calling a German a kraut is just as bad though and they're white.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Well it isn't fine you're still making a complete twat of yourself if you say it. Just the fact it wasn't a wide spread racial slur used by loads of people means it doesn't have the history behind it and it isn't as offensive.

Kraut is nowhere near as bad. Show me a comedian that got slammed in the papers for saying "kraut" on stage.

Also, I don't see the difference between calling one person a French Bastard and calling someone else a "complete twat" but I suppose that the complexities of political correctness for you.

Kraut is nowhere near as bad. Show me a comedian that got slammed in the papers for saying "kraut" on stage.

Also, I don't see the difference between calling one person a French Bastard and calling someone else a "complete twat" but I suppose that the complexities of political correctness for you.
    It's nothing to do with political correctness though is it? I would think anyone throwing about needless insults was a bit of a prick but I always think someone who brings nationality into it is often at best very closed minded.

Do you really not think it's just a bit more ignorant. I've lived all over the uk and currently live abroad and I've always felt anyone calling me a "welsh twat" to be a bigger nob than someone who would just call me a twat. Why use my nationality in a negative way? It was just where I was born it doesn't have any implications on whether I'm a twat or not.

I wasn't calling you a complete twat btw I was saying anyone who says stuff like that generally is though.

Perhaps we should ban the word "English" then as by that logic "English Bastards" is a very commonly used racist slur in Wales.

Surely "Bastard" is the offensive word and not the nationality of the word preceding it?

I dont see whats racist about saying youre popping down the pakis for cans.

Perhaps we should ban the word "English" then as by that logic "English Bastards" is a very commonly used racist slur in Wales.

Surely "Bastard" is the offensive word and not the nationality of the word preceding it?

Maybe you should be having this conversation with the people who own the shop, they'll have more of a perspective on this than any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maybe you should be having this conversation with the people who own the shop, they'll have more of a perspective on this than any of us.
    I cant. Im banned from there for calling them **** bastards.

I'd always think less of someone saying English bastard, it comes across as ignorant at best. Adding the qualifier of bastard makes it the insult, just like saying someone is black is fine but saying someone is a "black bastard" is racist.

**** is a slur that's what's wrong with saying it. It doesn't mean you're a racist just because you say it though.

Not much wrong with it if you say it.

But unfortunately it has been used in a hateful way 9 times out of 10. Any use of the word now has a connotation that cannot be negotiated.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

where's the 'smokin' smiley gone?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

if infatuation bastard is the answer, what is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    if infatuation bastard is the answer, what is the question...
    How would you like your poppadoms cooked sir?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    How would you like your poppadoms cooked sir?
    naughty doctor