+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    So after a couple of pages later on the use of the n word, where are we?
    It appears it's all down to the context of how it's used. What was the context that the 2 black guys in the Colonels video were using it to call the takeaway attendant Bitch ******?
    I'm not racist, so could I call someone who's pissed me off Bitch ******?
    It appears that a lot of white folk are trying to bend over backwards in apologising to black people for the way some of our ancestors treated their ancestors in yrs gone by.
    Absolute nonsense! It's a horrible word, that nobody of any skin colour should be happy to use, what ever context it's meant in.
    Are we gonna have a certain word that only white people can use?
    As I said earlier, the world is going mad!
    I don't understand why white people not being able to use a racist slur means the world is going mad? I don't see why anyone would really take issue with a minority being able to reclaim a word for themselves, it doesn't really affect anyone negatively unless someone is desperate to use this slur.

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't understand why white people not being able to use a racist slur means the world is going mad? I don't see why anyone would really take issue with a minority being able to reclaim a word for themselves, it doesn't really affect anyone negatively unless someone is desperate to use this slur.
    Because when white people use the word they get fired and it's front page news.

Feedback

You are propagating racism by denying the majority/minority the same rights

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Because when white people use the word they get fired and it's front page news.
    Well don't say it then, is it really that difficult?

Well don't say it then, is it really that difficult?
    No, but lets not pretend it isn't racist of you to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    You are propagating racism by denying the majority/minority the same rights
    I think it's a bit more subtle and nuanced than that.

Sorry but how can you "reclaim" a word? Whatever next, different versions of the dictionary to accomodate minoritys?

Its either a word we can all use without causing offence, or it shouldnt be used by anyone.

And whilst we are on the subject why is "****'s" deemed to be so offensive? No different to calling us Welshies or Taffies? Plus its quicker to say than Pakistanis.

No, but lets not pretend it isn't racist of you to say that.
    It isn't racist of me to say that in the slightest to think a white person saying a word that is racist against black people is worse than a black person saying a word that is racist against black people.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sorry but how can you "reclaim" a word? Whatever next, different versions of the dictionary to accomodate minoritys.

Its either a word we can all use without causing offence, or it shouldnt be used anyone.
    It's happened several times through history though, what's confusing about it?

Sorry but how can you "reclaim" a word? Whatever next, different versions of the dictionary to accomodate minoritys?

Its either a word we can all use without causing offence, or it shouldnt be used by anyone.

And whilst we are on the subject why is "****'s" deemed to be so offensive? No different to calling us Welshies or Taffies? Plus its quicker to say than Pakistanis.
    It's because **** is almost exclusively used in a negative way, if it hadn't been used as a racist term throughout history it would be fine but it's always been used as a racist slur.

Well, yes I kind of see where you're going with that one. I mean it's ok to call Australians "Aussies", Polish people "Poles", Turkish people as "Turks", so why not shorten Pakistanis? Probably because it used to be followed by the word "Bastard" and was used to cause offence to anyone who seemed to be from that part of the world.

End of the day, it's all about context and the implied meaning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Well, yes I kind of see where you're going with that one. I mean it's ok to call Australians "Aussies", Polish people "Poles", Turkish people as "Turks", so why not shorten Pakistanis? Probably because it used to be followed by the word "Bastard" and was used to cause offence to anyone who seemed to be from that part of the world.

End of the day, it's all about context and the implied meaning behind it.
    French Bastard is of course still fine because they're not that much browner than us.

French Bastard is of course still fine because they're not that much browner than us.
    Indeed.

People find it offensive because while it might have started out as being a shortened version of Pakistani, it quickly became a catch-all name for anyone who looks like they might originate from the Indian subcontinent and needed to be given a bashing for the crime of moving to the UK.

Well it isn't fine you're still making a complete twat of yourself if you say it. Just the fact it wasn't a wide spread racial slur used by loads of people means it doesn't have the history behind it and it isn't as offensive.

Calling a German a kraut is just as bad though and they're white.

So now you are saying that any white person who uses the word is automatically a racist, and any black person who uses it isn't.
    Interesting.

Well it isn't fine you're still making a complete twat of yourself if you say it. Just the fact it wasn't a wide spread racial slur used by loads of people means it doesn't have the history behind it and it isn't as offensive.

Calling a German a kraut is just as bad though and they're white.
    Kraut is nowhere near as bad. Show me a comedian that got slammed in the papers for saying "kraut" on stage.

Also, I don't see the difference between calling one person a French Bastard and calling someone else a "complete twat" but I suppose that the complexities of political correctness for you.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    So now you are saying that any white person who uses the word is automatically a racist, and any black person who uses it isn't.
    Interesting.
    Where have I said that? The word is a racist slur whichever way you look at it. Using it doesn't automatically make anyone a racist but I can't see why a white person would need to say it in the majority of situations.

Kraut is nowhere near as bad. Show me a comedian that got slammed in the papers for saying "kraut" on stage.

Also, I don't see the difference between calling one person a French Bastard and calling someone else a "complete twat" but I suppose that the complexities of political correctness for you.
    It's nothing to do with political correctness though is it? I would think anyone throwing about needless insults was a bit of a prick but I always think someone who brings nationality into it is often at best very closed minded.

Do you really not think it's just a bit more ignorant. I've lived all over the uk and currently live abroad and I've always felt anyone calling me a "welsh twat" to be a bigger nob than someone who would just call me a twat. Why use my nationality in a negative way? It was just where I was born it doesn't have any implications on whether I'm a twat or not.

I wasn't calling you a complete twat btw I was saying anyone who says stuff like that generally is though.

Perhaps we should ban the word "English" then as by that logic "English Bastards" is a very commonly used racist slur in Wales.

Surely "Bastard" is the offensive word and not the nationality of the word preceding it?

I dont see whats racist about saying youre popping down the pakis for cans.

Perhaps we should ban the word "English" then as by that logic "English Bastards" is a very commonly used racist slur in Wales.

Surely "Bastard" is the offensive word and not the nationality of the word preceding it?

Maybe you should be having this conversation with the people who own the shop, they'll have more of a perspective on this than any of us.

But isn't "English Bastard" a bit like "work colleague"?

I'd always think less of someone saying English bastard, it comes across as ignorant at best. Adding the qualifier of bastard makes it the insult, just like saying someone is black is fine but saying someone is a "black bastard" is racist.

**** is a slur that's what's wrong with saying it. It doesn't mean you're a racist just because you say it though.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    But isn't "English Bastard" a bit like "work colleague"?

Not much wrong with it if you say it.

But unfortunately it has been used in a hateful way 9 times out of 10. Any use of the word now has a connotation that cannot be negotiated.