+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    There is no humour or justification in the modern world for anybody to be using the "N" word.
    I can only assume you don't listen to rap music.

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

There is no humour or justification in the modern world for anybody to be using the "N" word.

I'm also guessing you haven't seen videos like this either:

Do you care to explain why? The MP who used the word is bang out of order. It's a horrible word, and one that I've never used in my life, so why do black people find it acceptable in rapping lyrics. I don't buy into ToBW's explanation about the sheepshagging chants. As a Welshman, I don't get offended at all if someone calls me a sheepshagger. I see the humour in it.
    Because of the connotations and context of the use of the word, it has been reclaimed by black people and has a different meaning in that sense, unfortunatley it is still a slur and comes across that way when used by anyone else. There are thousands of articles that cover it a lot more succinctly than I ever could.

It's the same reason south park can get away with anti semitic characters wihtout getting grief. It isn't just the N word there are loads of examples of groups taking slurs and reclaiming them, it doesn't mean they stop being slurs when used by others though.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Because of the connotations and context of the use of the word, it has been reclaimed by black people and has a different meaning in that sense, unfortunatley it is still a slur and comes across that way when used by anyone else. There are thousands of articles that cover it a lot more succinctly than I ever could.

It's the same reason south park can get away with anti semitic characters wihtout getting grief. It isn't just the N word there are loads of examples of groups taking slurs and reclaiming them, it doesn't mean they stop being slurs when used by others though.
    you reference connotation. Here's a point. Whilst the MP should have known better, I certainly don't think her intended use was racist, given the point she tried to make. however, there is also the point she might just might be a closet racist and instead of using more appropriate less offensive terms, she chose one which she knew may upset.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    you reference connotation. Here's a point. Whilst the MP should have known better, I certainly don't think her intended use was racist, given the point she tried to make. however, there is also the point she might just might be a closet racist and instead of using more appropriate less offensive terms, she chose one which she knew may upset.
    I sort of agree she probably didn't mean it in a racist way but the fact is it is still probably the most racist thing you can say and you should probably avoid saying it, especially if you are in a position of power. If either of us said that at work we would more than likely be sacked.

Also there is a reasonable argument that if she's comfortable saying that in public what is she like in private?

Do you care to explain why? The MP who used the word is bang out of order. It's a horrible word, and one that I've never used in my life, so why do black people find it acceptable in rapping lyrics. I don't buy into ToBW's explanation about the sheepshagging chants. As a Welshman, I don't get offended at all if someone calls me a sheepshagger. I see the humour in it.
    So you think that back in the days before we started singing 1-0 to the sheepshaggers, those who chanted sheepshaggers at us were doing so because they thought we would find it funny? It was meant to insult and annoy us, whereas, for the last twenty years or so, we've been turning the insult on it's back and finding humour in it - the fact still remains though that it is a word which can be viewed differently depending on who is using it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I remember a black person saying they had earned the "right" to be able to use it as they wish.

White people have not.
    That's racism in itself.

That's racism in itself.
    The white race has historically treated black people like complete dirt so I think we'll let them have this one little word eh!.

They are popularising it for a reason.

Instead of being something they are ashamed of they are wearing it with pride so racists feel the idiots.

The white race has historically treated black people like complete dirt so I think we'll let them have this one little word eh!.

Instead of being something they are ashamed of they are wearing it with pride so racists feel the idiots.
    I'm a member of the white race and I haven't treated anyone like "complete dirt", thank you very much.

How is what you just said not considered racist? It has all the hallmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm a member of the white race and I haven't treated anyone like "complete dirt", thank you very much.

You haven't been victim of racism either though have you.

So how can you comment on it?. We can't put ourselves in the shoes of black people in America and Western countries.

I think this is where that whole annoying idea of "white privilege" comes from. You are complaining of a lack of equality between white and black people, where white people are the victims Can you see how ridiculous this looks?.

Just because you haven't been racist doesn't me you can go around shouting N***** from the roof tops as that would mean equality.

Why do you care anyway?. Black people have been the victims of this word. Why do you want to have the freedom to use it? Why?.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d5d9049eef86

And the links in the article

I don't often agree with Lord Kenwyn but he's spot on, due to the history of the word black people are uncomfortable by any white person using the word whereas there isn't a negative history of black people using it, if anything the reclamation of the word has positive connotations when used by black people.

I think it's best understood when you think how most white people would care if they were called a cracker, we wouldn't give a shit because there isn't a history of abuse and opression behind the word whereas with the n word that's all that is behind it.

I think it's best summed up when someone says "I don't get why they can use it and I can't", you've aswered your own question, we don't get it because we haven't had to deal with it.

So how can you comment on it?. We can't put ourselves in the shoes of black people in America and Western countries.

I think this is where that whole annoying idea of "white privilege" comes from. You are complaining of a lack of equality between white and black people, where white people are the victims Can you see how ridiculous this looks?.

Just because you haven't been racist doesn't me you can go around shouting N***** from the roof tops as that would mean equality.

Why do you care anyway?. Black people have been the victims of this word. Why do you want to have the freedom to use it? Why?.

Why do you think white people can't be victims of racism? Are they not a race?

You've completely swerved the question I asked you in my last response, instead accusing me of "complaining of lack of equality" (nope) and even more bizarrely, telling me I "can't go around shouting ****** from the rooftops". Where has anyone said they want to do that?

These are the hoops you've put yourself through rather than just address the simple question I asked.

I'll ask it again, clearly you appear to abhor racism so how is it not racist of you to tell me what language I can and can't use based on what some white people did in the past?

Feedback

I've been the victim of bigotry (I don't call it racism as I can't see how the same race can be 'racist'). I have also been on the end of jokes where some may take offence. The two are different and need to be treated as such.

It isn't racsit because he hasn't said anything negative about white people that isn't true. Throughout history black people were treated like shit and actually owned by a lot of white people who used that word negatively a lot. Even after the abolition of slavely black people were treated like shit by a lot of white people.

You being a good person has nothing to do with you being able to use that word or not, the history of the word and the way it's use by white people still makes black people feel is the reason you shouldn't use it.

It wasn't even that long ago there were billboards in the uk saying "If you want a n***** for a neighbour vote labour" so it isn't even like it's ancient history.

It isn't racsit because he hasn't said anything negative about white people that isn't true. Throughout history black people were treated like shit and actually owned by a lot of white people who used that word negatively a lot. Even after the abolition of slavely black people were treated like shit by a lot of white people.

You being a good person has nothing to do with you being able to use that word or not, the history of the word and the way it's use by white people still makes black people feel is the reason you shouldn't use it.

It wasn't even that long ago there were billboards in the uk saying "If you want a n***** for a neighbour vote labour" so it isn't even like it's ancient history.
    Again, I'm aware of the reasons behind the word being deemed offensive, I'm not a moron.

I am specifically asking you people how you think it isn't racist to restrict the language a certain race of people?

Feedback

perhaps you are not aware that it was Africans who rounded up their fellow Africans and sold them into bondage. Man has always treated his fellow man with disdain and contempt. Slavery isn't a modern American invention.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    perhaps you are not aware that it was Africans who rounded up their fellow Africans and sold them into bondage. Man has always treated his fellow man with disdain and contempt. Slavery isn't a modern American invention.
    Yes I saw a documentary about the arab slave trade the other day. Not that much but I'm not ignorant.

I've often wondered if racism is the right word. There is only one race on this planet. The human race. Surely it should be referred to with a different word?
    I'm also white and have never treated anybody like dirt. I'm not getting convinced by anyone's opinion on this thread as to why in this day and age, it's acceptable for anyone to use this n word, in any form or context.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 11-07-17 at 08:00. Reason: Spelling

I've often wondered if racism is the right word. There is only one race on this planet. The human race. Surely it should be referred to with a different word?
    I'm also white and have never treated anybody like dirt. I'm not getting convinced by anyone's opinion on this thread as to why in this day and age, it's acceptable for anyone to use this n word, in any form or context.
    So you think it's perfectly normal behaviour for the entire human race to ban a word?

If everyone thought like you we probably all could use the word but in the eyes of most people there are many races and in the eyes of a big minority those other races are viewed negatively.

If everyone thought like you we probably all could use the word but in the eyes of most people there are many races and in the eyes of a big minority those other races are viewed negatively.
    Wrong on all accounts. If everyone thought like me, then nobody would use the n word.
    There aren't many races either. There is one. The human race. There are many cultures, skin colours, religions and nationalities, and finally in the eyes of a small minority, these different cultures, skin colours, religions and nationalities are viewed negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    My Thoughts on this are quite simple.

White people using the word sound like uneducated idiots.

The same applies for black people.
    Spot on Dr.

In this day and age using a line which could directly be taken from '12 years a Slave' is pretty ****ing stupid.
    Even more so when this woman has a a say in all our affairs.

But to black people a white person using it always has racist connotations due to the history. I think this is the point we find difficult to understand, I've been to a couple of lectures about it and I always had the same view point as you but I've come to understand I can't understand how a black person feels when a white person uses that word.
    The word is very ugly.
    If a white person uses it, it has racist connotations due to history.
    If a black person uses it, it could have racist connotations due to history.
    I'm sure a LOT of black people despise it's use by other black people.
    To have a blanket acceptance of black people using it, is naive as there's a number of reasons why it word be used.
    However, there is an undertone to it that continues the differentiation of people's based on colour.
    How long before it should be deemed unacceptable for anyone to use it?

Feedback

I don't understand why white people not being able to use a racist slur means the world is going mad? I don't see why anyone would really take issue with a minority being able to reclaim a word for themselves, it doesn't really affect anyone negatively unless someone is desperate to use this slur.
    You are propagating racism by denying the majority/minority the same rights