+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm a member of the white race and I haven't treated anyone like "complete dirt", thank you very much.

How is what you just said not considered racist? It has all the hallmarks.
    I've often wondered if racism is the right word. There is only one race on this planet. The human race. Surely it should be referred to with a different word?
    I'm also white and have never treated anybody like dirt. I'm not getting convinced by anyone's opinion on this thread as to why in this day and age, it's acceptable for anyone to use this n word, in any form or context.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 11-07-17 at 08:00. Reason: Spelling

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I've often wondered if racism is the right word. There is only one race on this planet. The human race. Surely it should be referred to with a different word?
    I'm also white and have never treated anybody like dirt. I'm not getting convinced by anyone's opinion on this thread as to why in this day and age, it's acceptable for anyone to use this n word, in any form or context.
    So you think it's perfectly normal behaviour for the entire human race to ban a word?

Do you care to explain why? The MP who used the word is bang out of order. It's a horrible word, and one that I've never used in my life, so why do black people find it acceptable in rapping lyrics. I don't buy into ToBW's explanation about the sheepshagging chants. As a Welshman, I don't get offended at all if someone calls me a sheepshagger. I see the humour in it.
    There is no humour or justification in the modern world for anybody to be using the "N" word.
    Because of the connotations and context of the use of the word, it has been reclaimed by black people and has a different meaning in that sense, unfortunatley it is still a slur and comes across that way when used by anyone else. There are thousands of articles that cover it a lot more succinctly than I ever could.

It's the same reason south park can get away with anti semitic characters wihtout getting grief. It isn't just the N word there are loads of examples of groups taking slurs and reclaiming them, it doesn't mean they stop being slurs when used by others though.

If everyone thought like you we probably all could use the word but in the eyes of most people there are many races and in the eyes of a big minority those other races are viewed negatively.

I'm a member of the white race and I haven't treated anyone like "complete dirt", thank you very much.

You haven't been victim of racism either though have you.

So how can you comment on it?. We can't put ourselves in the shoes of black people in America and Western countries.

I think this is where that whole annoying idea of "white privilege" comes from. You are complaining of a lack of equality between white and black people, where white people are the victims Can you see how ridiculous this looks?.

Just because you haven't been racist doesn't me you can go around shouting N***** from the roof tops as that would mean equality.

Why do you care anyway?. Black people have been the victims of this word. Why do you want to have the freedom to use it? Why?.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d5d9049eef86

And the links in the article

I don't often agree with Lord Kenwyn but he's spot on, due to the history of the word black people are uncomfortable by any white person using the word whereas there isn't a negative history of black people using it, if anything the reclamation of the word has positive connotations when used by black people.

I think it's best understood when you think how most white people would care if they were called a cracker, we wouldn't give a shit because there isn't a history of abuse and opression behind the word whereas with the n word that's all that is behind it.

I think it's best summed up when someone says "I don't get why they can use it and I can't", you've aswered your own question, we don't get it because we haven't had to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    You haven't been victim of racism either though have you.

So how can you comment on it?. We can't put ourselves in the shoes of black people in America and Western countries.

I think this is where that whole annoying idea of "white privilege" comes from. You are complaining of a lack of equality between white and black people, where white people are the victims Can you see how ridiculous this looks?.

Just because you haven't been racist doesn't me you can go around shouting N***** from the roof tops as that would mean equality.

Why do you care anyway?. Black people have been the victims of this word. Why do you want to have the freedom to use it? Why?.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d5d9049eef86

And the links in the article
    Why do you think white people can't be victims of racism? Are they not a race?

You've completely swerved the question I asked you in my last response, instead accusing me of "complaining of lack of equality" (nope) and even more bizarrely, telling me I "can't go around shouting ****** from the rooftops". Where has anyone said they want to do that?

These are the hoops you've put yourself through rather than just address the simple question I asked.

I'll ask it again, clearly you appear to abhor racism so how is it not racist of you to tell me what language I can and can't use based on what some white people did in the past?

You've completely swerved the question I asked you in my last response, instead accusing me of "complaining of lack of equality" (nope) and even more bizarrely, telling me I "can't go around shouting ****** from the rooftops". Where has anyone said they want to do that?

These are the hoops you've put yourself through rather than just address the simple question I asked.

I'll ask it again, clearly you appear to abhor racism so how is it not racist of you to tell me what language I can and can't use based on what some white people did in the past?
    Please tell me where you asked me that question hahaha

You are twisting the conversation. Trying turn it into some ambiguous question on freedom of speech. When I am considering one term.

They are not one and the same.

There is no freedom of speech and there never has been. Tell the king he is a wanker and you would've died.

If you want complete freedom of speech, no repercussions, I could walk up to one of your relatives and call them all sorts. Or would you respond?. But that is equality isn't it?. The right to say whatever you like, at any time.

White people can be victims of racism but very rarely are, especially throughout history. Racism against white people is obviously bad but surely you can see why it often isn't as severe as racism against black people? If someone called you a white bastard on your way to work today would it really bother you that much? You'd think the guy was a dick but you wouldn't really mind I'm sure.

The reason is white people have never been opressed throughout history for being white, white people weren't likely to be used as slaves in the western world, white people aren't less likely to get a job in the western world because of the colour of their skin. Unfortunalety throughout history racism against black people has been often and severe and still exists in different forms today.

Oh come on.

It is pretty much universally agreed that the word is offensive, it's not racist to suggest that you, as a white person, shouldn't use it, in any case as you yourself have already said, you don't want to use it.

Methinks you're arguing for the sake of it

Please tell me where you asked me that question hahaha

You are twisting the conversation. Trying turn it into some ambiguous question on freedom of speech. When I am considering one term.

They are not one and the same.

There is no freedom of speech and there has been. Tell the king he is a wanker and you would've died.
    ??

Just scroll back through the posts. I quoted you directly and asked you at 8.47:

Now you're telling me I'm twisting the conversation whilst saying I'm talking about "freedom of speech"?! I've said nothing of the sort. And that analogy about the King... just what?

It's crazy the logical hoops you're prepared to jump through rather than re-examine your own argument for even a second.

It isn't racsit because he hasn't said anything negative about white people that isn't true. Throughout history black people were treated like shit and actually owned by a lot of white people who used that word negatively a lot. Even after the abolition of slavely black people were treated like shit by a lot of white people.

You being a good person has nothing to do with you being able to use that word or not, the history of the word and the way it's use by white people still makes black people feel is the reason you shouldn't use it.

It wasn't even that long ago there were billboards in the uk saying "If you want a n***** for a neighbour vote labour" so it isn't even like it's ancient history.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Oh come on.

It is pretty much universally agreed that the word is offensive, it's not racist to suggest that you, as a white person, shouldn't use it, in any case as you yourself have already said, you don't want to use it.

Methinks you're arguing for the sake of it
    I know it is offensive. I even know why it is offensive.

But then someone like you comes along with a huge leap of logic with a statement like this: "it's not racist to suggest that you, as a white person, shouldn't use it"

I'll ask again, how is your statement not racist? It seems like the exact definition of racism to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It isn't racsit because he hasn't said anything negative about white people that isn't true. Throughout history black people were treated like shit and actually owned by a lot of white people who used that word negatively a lot. Even after the abolition of slavely black people were treated like shit by a lot of white people.

You being a good person has nothing to do with you being able to use that word or not, the history of the word and the way it's use by white people still makes black people feel is the reason you shouldn't use it.

It wasn't even that long ago there were billboards in the uk saying "If you want a n***** for a neighbour vote labour" so it isn't even like it's ancient history.
    Again, I'm aware of the reasons behind the word being deemed offensive, I'm not a moron.

I am specifically asking you people how you think it isn't racist to restrict the language a certain race of people?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    If everyone thought like you we probably all could use the word but in the eyes of most people there are many races and in the eyes of a big minority those other races are viewed negatively.
    Wrong on all accounts. If everyone thought like me, then nobody would use the n word.
    There aren't many races either. There is one. The human race. There are many cultures, skin colours, religions and nationalities, and finally in the eyes of a small minority, these different cultures, skin colours, religions and nationalities are viewed negatively.

??

Just scroll back through the posts. I quoted you directly and asked you at 8.47:

Now you're telling me I'm twisting the conversation whilst saying I'm talking about "freedom of speech"?! I've said nothing of the sort. And that analogy about the King... just what?

It's crazy the logical hoops you're prepared to jump through rather than re-examine your own argument for even a second.
    Freedom of speech is what this entire conversation is about......

What questions do you want answered then?. You've skirted past my comments to carry on whining as your opinion is so crap that is what you are resorting to.

I've put forward my opinion on the term. And the reasons why white people shouldn't use it.

What have you put forward other than " I'm white and have done nothing wrong "?.

Again, I'm aware of the reasons behind the word being deemed offensive, I'm not a moron.

I am specifically asking you people how you think it isn't racist to restrict the language a certain race of people?
    Because of the history of the word it basically means different things when used by different races. You could almost think of it in two different ways.

It is the same as how gay people have reclaimed queer but it's still a slur if used by a straight person.

It isn't racist because to say that because the explanation is perfectly logical and isn't negatively affecting white people in any way.

Feedback

I remember a black person saying they had earned the "right" to be able to use it as they wish.

White people have not.
    No one should be born with any greater rights than anyone else. Are present day Africans responsible for their forefathers enslaving parts of their local populace and selling them to the Europeans - no of course not. Are present day Europeans responsible for the actions of their forefathers. Again of course not.

As long as people look to differentiate for whatever reason, racism will exist.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    No one should be born with any greater rights than anyone else. Are present day Africans responsible for their forefathers enslaving parts of their local populace and selling them to the Europeans - no of course not. Are present day Europeans responsible for the actions of their forefathers. Again of course not.

Racism in America is alive and well. Nothing to do with the past.

The UK is completely different.

I know it is offensive. I even know why it is offensive.

But then someone like you comes along with a huge leap of logic with a statement like this: "it's not racist to suggest that you, as a white person, shouldn't use it"

I'll ask again, how is your statement not racist? It seems like the exact definition of racism to me.
    My logic, and I suspect the logic of many is simply this.

The word was developed, by white slave owners in the American Southern States, as a derivative of the Spanish word for black. The word continued to be used by white racists in America, and beyond for many users, as an insult to black people.

Now, of course, keen observers of this board will understand that while you are white, you're not American, you don't own a plantation and you're not a racist.

But because people who looked like you, and me, used that term in such a pejorative way, then it is inappropriate for us to use it because of the offense it causes. I think it would be inappropriate for whites, asians, southern europeans, native Americans, etc to use it. That's not a definition of racist that I recognise.

Personally, I don't think anyone should use the word, but if anyone can "get away with it" then it would be a black person.

TOBW's sheepshagger analogy isn't perfect, as he himself admitted, but if some wurzel came up to you screaming "you sheepshagging bastard" in your face, chances are he'd get a slap, meanwhile, thousands of us us sing that's "who we are" every week, and that's ok.

I have a vague recollection of you recounting a tale from your stand-up tale where you used that word and it didn't end well. Is that the basis for your stance in this thread?

Freedom of speech is what this entire conversation is about......

What questions do you want answered then?. You've skirted past my comments to carry on whining as your opinion is so crap that is what you are resorting to.

I've put forward my opinion on the term. And the reasons why white people shouldn't use it.

What have you put forward other than " I'm white and have done nothing wrong "?.
    And you still haven't answered the question, instead you've just resorted to telling me how I'm "whining" and my "opinion is crap" rather than just answer it.

And how on earth is it somehow bad of me to say "I'm white and have done nothing wrong"?

My Thoughts on this are quite simple.

White people using the word sound like uneducated idiots.

The same applies for black people.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post

THANK YOU for putting the point more eloquently than I apparently can.

Racism in America is alive and well. Nothing to do with the past.

The UK is completely different.
    Alarmingly so.

Feedback

The white race has historically treated black people like complete dirt so I think we'll let them have this one little word eh!.

They are popularising it for a reason.

Instead of being something they are ashamed of they are wearing it with pride so racists feel the idiots.
    perhaps you are not aware that it was Africans who rounded up their fellow Africans and sold them into bondage. Man has always treated his fellow man with disdain and contempt. Slavery isn't a modern American invention.