+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sorry but how can you "reclaim" a word? Whatever next, different versions of the dictionary to accomodate minoritys?

Its either a word we can all use without causing offence, or it shouldnt be used by anyone.

And whilst we are on the subject why is "****'s" deemed to be so offensive? No different to calling us Welshies or Taffies? Plus its quicker to say than Pakistanis.

the word **** believe it or not means "pride"

Re: Gwent records the biggest increase in religious and racial hate crimes since Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    the word **** believe it or not means "pride"
    In what language?.

Pakistan is an acronym. Which I found out recently. That isn't really common knowledge .

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    But isn't "English Bastard" a bit like "work colleague"?
    See how racism can be fun in the right context?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    In what language?.

Pakistan is an acronym. Which I found out recently. That isn't really common knowledge .
    I didn't know that either.

But isn't "English Bastard" a bit like "work colleague"?
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maybe you should be having this conversation with the people who own the shop, they'll have more of a perspective on this than any of us.
    I cant. Im banned from there for calling them **** bastards.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think it's a bit more subtle and nuanced than that.
    Not really, you are looking to apply different rules to people based on skin tone. If that's not racism in action then **** me, I have totally misunderstood it all these years.

Feedback

Well, yes I kind of see where you're going with that one. I mean it's ok to call Australians "Aussies", Polish people "Poles", Turkish people as "Turks", so why not shorten Pakistanis? Probably because it used to be followed by the word "Bastard" and was used to cause offence to anyone who seemed to be from that part of the world.

End of the day, it's all about context and the implied meaning behind it.
    if infatuation bastard is the answer, what is the question...

Feedback

Well it isn't fine you're still making a complete twat of yourself if you say it. Just the fact it wasn't a wide spread racial slur used by loads of people means it doesn't have the history behind it and it isn't as offensive.

Calling a German a kraut is just as bad though and they're white.
    where's the 'smokin' smiley gone?

In what language?.

I dont know what language I guess I'm right though
    the pride guy 2 doors down told me

In what language?.

Pakistan is an acronym, for Punjab, Afghan (the North-West frontier region), Kashmir, Indus (some say it's for Islam) and Sind. The "Tan" is said to represent Baluchistan.

I found this piece from 2014 a fascinating insight into a by election held fifty years earlier which I was completely unaware of until today. A couple of things that took my eye were Malcolm X talking about "coloured people" (it was a phrase that was used like black people is now for the first twenty years of my life at least and some of my life long friends still use it) and the colour bar in a Labour club.

It's a long article, but well worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ck-50-years-on

Political correctness gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    if infatuation bastard is the answer, what is the question...
    How would you like your poppadoms cooked sir?

Where have I said that? The word is a racist slur whichever way you look at it. Using it doesn't automatically make anyone a racist but I can't see why a white person would need to say it in the majority of situations.
    "The word is a racist slur whichever way you look at it "

Precisely why nobody should use it.

Even uneducated black dickheads trying to look like gangsters.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    How would you like your poppadoms cooked sir?
    naughty doctor

uneducated black dickheads

I'd always think less of someone saying English bastard, it comes across as ignorant at best. Adding the qualifier of bastard makes it the insult, just like saying someone is black is fine but saying someone is a "black bastard" is racist.

**** is a slur that's what's wrong with saying it. It doesn't mean you're a racist just because you say it though.
    Why is calling someone an English bastard merely an insult, whereas calling someone a black bastard is racist?

Political correctness gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Why is calling someone an English bastard merely an insult, whereas calling someone a black bastard is racist?
    very good point mate the English are a race after all

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I found this piece from 2014 a fascinating insight into a by election held fifty years earlier which I was completely unaware of until today. A couple of things that took my eye were Malcolm X talking about "coloured people" (it was a phrase that was used like black people is now for the first twenty years of my life at least and some of my life long friends still use it) and the colour bar in a Labour club.

It's a long article, but well worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ck-50-years-on
    Malcolm X was a civil rights leader was a racist and advocated violence and aggression, which is a tiny part of the reason why black Americans struggle to this day.
    Compare the civil rights approach by the incredible Martin Luther King, Medgar Evers, Rosa Parks, et al.
    I often wonder how life for black Americans and also blacks worldwide would have been today had MLK and Medgar Evers had lived to this day.
    They gave their lives for civil liberties and it became hi-jacked by those who wanted to take the aggressive approach.
    Sadly far too many black people in the USA and UK live a highly aggressive and violent lifestyle.
    There are many more reasons than simply that, but Malcolm X was a violent agitator who disliked white people.

I think he means the "yo yo yo" while flapping their hands like on give us a clue people mate
    but they all colours lol

I'm still trying to get my head around how you can "reclaim" a word?
    If a Chinese guy used the n word, could any black people who heard it sue him for copy rights?? Fook me, this thread gets better by the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I'm still trying to get my head around how you can "reclaim" a word?
    If a Chinese guy used the n word, could any black people who heard it sue him for copy rights?? Fook me, this thread gets better by the minute.