+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy a car?

Re: Best place to buy a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Come on then good people, it's advice time.

My eldest is looking to spend some dosh on a car (about 5-7k so after something tidy)

Can anyone recommend a reliable decent place for him to go?
    Has Jimmy stopped giving out free ones?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

Think he's busy in Beddau with that fly fishing chap

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Only one per family.

I got in there first.

Has he looked at a PCP deal?

I got a VW golf GT TDI, 2 years old, 30k on clock for £200 per month with 2 years free servicing and 1 year warranty from VW main dealer.

I could have scraped together the cash to buy up front but was convinced to keep it in my pocket and go down the finance route as I can pay off the outstanding balance at any time for no extra cost.

Thanks for the replies good people.

I've tried convincing him of the merits of going down the finance route but he's adamant that he's got the money and he's going to pay up front. He's also paying off other stuff (credit card, phone contract etc.) and wants to use the money so that he's got nothing extra to pay every month apart from the usual outgoings.

He's been to quite a few places and he's got an idea of what he can get for his money.

My next question is this: Is he better off buying from a main dealer or a private car sales place? Or doesn't it really matter? Would he have more comeback if anything goes wrong with one or the other?

One last thing, The price on display? Is that the price they want or a starting point? My attitude is there's always room for manoeuvre but what's realistic to ask them to take off?

I prefer a dealer, but in my experience they charge top dollar and cars in his price point are hard to come by at a dealer.
    In terms of the sticker price, a lot depends if he's part exing or paying cash.
    If he's paying cash I'd start with an offer 20% below sticker price.
    Time of the month matters as well, nearer the end of the month the salesman will be keen to hit his target.
    Btw I think he's sensible to not take out finance if he can afford it unless it's at a very low apr

Tell him to check the APR on his credit card ect, worth paying off most expensive dept first even if it means taking on a cheaper debt in meantime.

For me main dealer is best way to go, much more peace of mind (although not fool proof) although I've found recently that there is usually very little movement on sticker price, deal is always in the add on's like servicing.

I

One extra thing that might sway him back to finance, its usually about how much the car is worth at the end of the deal, my car was £2.5k more than the one next to it on forecourt up front but will cost me less overall as the residual value is better due to the more desirable spec (I'm old though so insurance is not so much of a factor for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    One extra thing that might sway him back to finance, its usually about how much the car is worth at the end of the deal, my car was £2.5k more than the one next to it on forecourt up front but will cost me less overall as the residual value is better due to the more desirable spec (I'm old though so insurance is not so much of a factor for me)
    Timing is also important. Pre-reg cars can save you a few grand.

I wouldn't pay cash for a car, as soon as you drive a £7k car off the forecourt, you've lost a few hundred quid. I'd consider putting down a decent deposit, and borrowing the rest. You can get really silly interest rates these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Timing is also important. Pre-reg cars can save you a few grand.

I wouldn't pay cash for a car, as soon as you drive a £7k car off the forecourt, you've lost a few hundred quid. I'd consider putting down a decent deposit, and borrowing the rest. You can get really silly interest rates these days.
    It's irrelevant whether you pay cash or go down the finance route. The car will still lose money when it is driven off the forecourt whichever method is used to pay for it. Why pay interest, however low, if you have the cash to pay for it assuming all other debts are paid off? Borrowing costs might be low but are higher than the interest received on cash in the bank.

I've tried convincing him of the merits of going down the finance route but he's adamant that he's got the money and he's going to pay up front. He's also paying off other stuff (credit card, phone contract etc.) and wants to use the money so that he's got nothing extra to pay every month apart from the usual outgoings.

He's been to quite a few places and he's got an idea of what he can get for his money.

1.My next question is this: Is he better off buying from a main dealer or a private car sales place? Or doesn't it really matter? Would he have more comeback if anything goes wrong with one or the other?

One last thing, The price on display? Is that the price they want or a starting point? My attitude is there's always room for manoeuvre but what's realistic to ask them to take off?
    What type of car is he looking for?

1. You can get good experiences with both, depends how the deal works out for you. I have bought two used cars recently over the phone. First time I saw them was the day I picked them up. They both cost over 10k so I took a chance , the dealers that had them were too far away to get up and see them.
    I doubt you will get much off the asking price unless you find a fault in the car you are looking at.(I didnt)

Every used car comes with a minimum 3 months warranty , make sure it is a comprehensive warranty , if not take out a decent warranty for 12 months for peace of mind. One of the cars I bought was for a hire contract , it was a used Merc , even though I have a garage I paid for a 2 year comprehensive warranty on it in case it did have a mechanical failure. Peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Think he's busy in Beddau with that fly fishing chap
    Nothing to see here people, move along.

My next question is this: Is he better off buying from a main dealer or a private car sales place? Or doesn't it really matter? Would he have more comeback if anything goes wrong with one or the other?

Don't know how big his CC debts and the rest is, but he might be better off paying it and taking the car on finance. I'd imagine there are far more generous deals there than with his bank.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Don't know how big his CC debts and the rest is, but he might be better off paying it and taking the car on finance. I'd imagine there are far more generous deals there than with his bank.
    If he has a CC debt that must go first. CC interest rates OVER 30% Car finance at the moment is around 3-4% flat 6-8% APR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If he has a CC debt that must go first. CC interest rates OVER 30% Car finance at the moment is around 3-4% flat 6-8% APR.
    The original poster stated his son is paying off his credit card debt and wanted to pay cash for the car because he didn't want to pay for things monthly. If he didn't pay off his credit card debt he would have monthly payments so I took the original poster to mean he had the cash to buy a car and pay off his debts. Something might have been lost in translation but clearly if he has credit card debt it would be idiotic not to pay this off first.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The original poster stated his son is paying off his credit card debt and wanted to pay cash for the car because he didn't want to pay for things monthly. If he didn't pay off his credit card debt he would have monthly payments so I took the original poster to mean he had the cash to buy a car and pay off his debts. Something might have been lost in translation but clearly if he has credit card debt it would be idiotic not to pay this off first.

Just to clarify, you're correct. He's got a nice sum of money sat in his bank account as of a week ago. He wants to use it to pay for a car, pay off any debts (credit card etc.) and enjoy not having a stack off money coming out of his account once a month.

Reading that back he sounds far too sensible to have come from my loins. I blame his mother.

What type of car is he looking for?

1. You can get good experiences with both, depends how the deal works out for you. I have bought two used cars recently over the phone. First time I saw them was the day I picked them up. They both cost over 10k so I took a chance , the dealers that had them were too far away to get up and see them.
    I doubt you will get much off the asking price unless you find a fault in the car you are looking at.(I didnt)

Every used car comes with a minimum 3 months warranty , make sure it is a comprehensive warranty , if not take out a decent warranty for 12 months for peace of mind. One of the cars I bought was for a hire contract , it was a used Merc , even though I have a garage I paid for a 2 year comprehensive warranty on it in case it did have a mechanical failure. Peace of mind.

Cheers for that Jim.

He's looking for something decent but not too flash on account of the fact that he's still only 25 so doesn't want to get clobbered with insurance. He seems to be leaning towards an Astra, Corsa, Focus () etc. - basically a tidy sized family car that will do the job for a good few years.

As far as the warranty goes, is it better to go with where you buy it from or take out a separate one? I'm assuming the best route is something that covers everything rather than a cheaper option where they point to the small print if you actually try claiming?

Feedback

Dick Lovett or Stratstone

Cheers for that Jim.

He's looking for something decent but not too flash on account of the fact that he's still only 25 so doesn't want to get clobbered with insurance. He seems to be leaning towards an Astra, Corsa, Focus () etc. - basically a tidy sized family car that will do the job for a good few years.

As far as the warranty goes, is it better to go with where you buy it from or take out a separate one? I'm assuming the best route is something that covers everything rather than a cheaper option where they point to the small print if you actually try claiming?
    Yeah , you want the platinum cover , not the (unfortunately that isnt covered .)

I have a 2014 year old 1.4 sxi white corsa 3 doors 38,000 miles £4500 mint . AND a 5 door 2015 Renault Clio 1.2 dynamique metallic black with 20,000 due in next month .£6500 mint also .
    Prices are good but might not be what he is looking for .

These are our own cars that were out on contract to local families.

Yeah , you want the platinum cover , not the (unfortunately that isnt covered .)

I have a 2014 year old 1.4 sxi white corsa 3 doors 38,000 miles £4500 mint . AND a 5 door 2015 Renault Clio 1.2 dynamique metallic black with 20,000 due in next month .£6500 mint also .

suprised it is still running.

He needs a 5 door for the Rugrats.

The Renault sounds ideal (tidy price too) but I probably won't be able to convince him to wait for it. I think he's hoping to get something sorted by the weekend.

Cheers anyway - appreciate the help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    suprised it is still running.
    I thought you would be out on the streets of Belfast today ?

If things dont work out in the Computer world give me a call, we are looking for a good salesman.

I thought you would be out on the streets of Belfast today ?

If things dont work out in the Computer world give me a call, we are looking for a good salesman.
    its got too ott for me the past 2 years jimmy.

Just to clarify, you're correct. He's got a nice sum of money sat in his bank account as of a week ago. He wants to use it to pay for a car, pay off any debts (credit card etc.) and enjoy not having a stack off money coming out of his account once a month.

Reading that back he sounds far too sensible to have come from my loins. I blame his mother.
    I'd still suggest a PCP deal may be worth a look for him, he could pay off his other debts i.e. credit card etc but keep the car lump sum in his pocket (minus deposit), most of the deals I have seen allow the PCP to be paid off at any point for no additional cost so he could think about it for a few months then decide.

I've done it that way for peace of mind, I can afford the repayments, and the (relatively) small interest cost is worth it in that I know I have funds in the bank for any unforeseen issues. If I can save a bit more I'll pay the PCP off at that point.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

My Mrs wants a car either a A1 or similar (if anyone has any cheaper recommendations on cars that are 'pretty') and has looked at new with finance (and then hand back) and then second hand from a dealer. She hasn't got savings so will have to get finance or a loan.

What's best these days? PCP from a dealer? Private loan then haggle down the used dealer?