+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swansea want 50 million pounds for Gylfi Sigurdsson

Swansea want 50 million pounds for Gylfi Sigurdsson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/...ment_127505694

Leciester have bid 40 million.

For a player who didn't cut the mustard when he had his big chance at Spurs.

Dragging Swansea along, making him seem better than he actually is. He is quality but 50 million you are talking a world star are we are not?.

I see people on Reddit defending the asking price as: "If he saves them relegation then that is worth over 100 million pounds".

Is that a logical way to value players now?. Zohore could get us promoted, lets value him at over 100 million pounds? Is that the same?.

Re: Swansea want 50 million pounds for Gylfi Sigurdsson

For once I agree with you. Good player but not in the 50m bracket for me. Already flopped at one big club.

He's probably worth that.

To Swansea.

If it meant the difference between staying up or going down.

Problem is (for the Jacks), he's not worth anywhere near that kind of money outside of Swansea.

I don't think he didn't cut the mustard at spurs he just didn't get enough of a chance.

The manager wanted to keep him but the chairman made him choose between him and Eriksson.

£50million seems steep but you don't have the output he did for Swansea last season without being a very good player.

Transfer fees have gone mad. Why would you sell a player who got so many goals and assists for less than £50million? It's not like they need the money and it could be the difference between staying up or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Dragging Swansea along, making him seem better than he actually is. He is quality but 50 million you are talking a world star are we are not?.

I see people on Reddit defending the asking price as: "If he saves them relegation then that is worth over 100 million pounds".

Is that a logical way to value players now?. Zohore could get us promoted, lets value him at over 100 million pounds? Is that the same?.
    A player is worth what another club will play, there is no formula based on ability.

At the moment you have clubs in the premier league getting so much money from TV that selling players is not really needed to balance the books, can Swansea attract a player of the quality of Sigurdsson, most probably not. So on that basis you will need to get silly money, and then sign a few players in the hope that they as a group improve the team.

If i were Swansea i wouldn't be looking to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    He's probably worth that.

To Swansea.

If it meant the difference between staying up or going down.

Problem is (for the Jacks), he's not worth anywhere near that kind of money outside of Swansea.

But seeing as bids of around £40m have been made it seems like they may be getting quite close to the £50m they want

There have been a few posts on here recently regarding players' worth and the bottom line for a football club is, "we are a business, will a player make us money?"

An example, most agree that Pogba isn't the best player in the world but was seen as somebody who will make a difference to the team and ultimately to get champions league status where the big bucks are. Granted ManUre got in through the tradesman's entrance but one would have to concede and say yes, he is worth the £90m, or whatever the fee was, he made the difference.

Also, just because GS didn't cut it at Spurs doesn't mean he is not worth £50m.
    Pogba didn't cut it at ManUre.. (they made a mistake and let him go for nothing).
    Who knows, Sigurdsson could well become a better player with a big price tag but even if he doesn't, if he does help them stay in the prem next year, he would have paid them back.

Without GS last season, I have no doubt Swansea would have been relegated (possibly the season before too) and he has proved his worth. He made Swansea money, BIG money.

The Zohore analogy is a little misguided in that he has done pretty well over a couple of months and is a gamble.

If Cardiff were doing this I'd have zero complaints.

I suppose it is true that he is more valuable in Swansea than elsewhere.

Didn't players used to be valued on actual footballing ability a few years ago?.

I think we are in dangerous territory though. If we are starting to value players based on "potential" outcomes of a coming seasons. Not much has been said about how important he'd be for Everton, just how important he is for Swansea.

Fee's are going to rapidly rise still. In other words, hold on to Zohore and your assets for all you are worth until you are in a position like swansea.

Didn't players used to be valued on actual footballing ability a few years ago?.

I think we are in dangerous territory though. If we are starting to value players based on "potential" outcomes of a coming seasons. Not much has been said about how important he'd be for Everton, just how important he is for Swansea.

Fee's are going to rapidly rise still. In other words, hold on to Zohore and your assets for all you are worth until you are in a position like swansea.
    Yup. Shite ain't it?!!

Zohore has scored 14 goals for Cardiff and already he is attracting bids that are close to being the record transfer fee received by the club.

Next season we could see a change in attitude, his head may be turned by transfer rumours. Or managers may give him more attention and the goals dry up. Suddenly he is worth next to nothing again.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yup. Shite ain't it?!!
    Half decent players are going to be going for fee's that are above what championship clubs are worth soon probably!.

Half decent players are going to be going for fee's that are above what championship clubs are worth soon probably!.
    It's already happening and contributes largely to why people hate the premiership.

He's probably worth £50m to the Jacks. He's not kicking his toys out of the pram, is quite happy to stay, they couldn't replace him with someone of a similar quality and they've got no reason to sell. Unless it's silly money, same as Zohore for us, don't sell.

This really does make me laugh from Swansea. They value Sigurdsson at 50m, yet they were unwilling to pay an extra couple of million last year to match Stoke's 13 million bid for Joe Allen. How a year changes things.

Leicester will do much better to find 2 or 3 solid players for 50m than someone who only turns it on for 19 out of 38 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    This really does make me laugh from Swansea. They value Sigurdsson at 50m, yet they were unwilling to pay an extra couple of million last year to match Stoke's 13 million bid for Joe Allen. How a year changes things.

Leicester will do much better to find 2 or 3 solid players for 50m than someone who only turns it on for 19 out of 38 games.

Football is just about money now, nothing else. It has no soul, no culture, barely any atmosphere in any grounds, no terraces, away trips are boring and regimented. Has it ever been so in appealing??? Bale, a world class player starting to look like a snip at 80 million.
    Farcical

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's probably worth £50m to the Jacks. He's not kicking his toys out of the pram, is quite happy to stay, they couldn't replace him with someone of a similar quality and they've got no reason to sell. Unless it's silly money, same as Zohore for us, don't sell.
    The very fact that Swansea have come out with a clear statement of his worth must suggest to all other Premier clubs that he is for sale at that price. I am very confident that Sigurdsson will leave Swansea in the next 2-3 weeks.

How much is Mahrez worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't think he didn't cut the mustard at spurs he just didn't get enough of a chance.

The manager wanted to keep him but the chairman made him choose between him and Eriksson.

£50million seems steep but you don't have the output he did for Swansea last season without being a very good player.

Transfer fees have gone mad. Why would you sell a player who got so many goals and assists for less than £50million? It's not like they need the money and it could be the difference between staying up or not.
    Pochettino regrets selling Siggy. He was never given a proper chance at Spurs. He played a huge part keeping Swansea up when he went on loan to them a few years back and without him they would have gone down by now. A cracking player.

A player is worth what a club is willing to pay for him and that's always been the way

The difference is, football now has a lot more money to throw around

I think it would be unfair to deny him his talent, but definitely a big fish in a small pond IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Pochettino regrets selling Siggy. He was never given a proper chance at Spurs. He played a huge part keeping Swansea up when he went on loan to them a few years back and without him they would have gone down by now. A cracking player.
    Why would Pochetino regret selling him? Since he's left Spurs they've kicked on mass He wouldn't get a look in for Spurs these days. Alli and Erikson who play in his position are far better players.

Theyve got Alli and Erikson who play in his position and far better players.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A player is worth what a club is willing to pay for him and that's always been the way

The difference is, football now has a lot more money to throw around
    Cornelius was worth 8 million quid then VT.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Why the hell would Pochetino regret selling him? He wouldn't get a look in for Spurs these days. Alli and Erikson who play in his position are far better players.
    Well obviously he disagrees with you as he described him as the 'perfect player' for a Spurs title charge and regrets that he was sold. He said that last December.

Well obviously he disagrees with you as he described him as the 'perfect player' for a Spurs title charge and regrets that he was sold. He said that last December.
    Even though he says himself he has "no regrets" over the sale?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ham-pochettino