Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
Queen were a superb rock band first three albums sublime heart threnching sounds saw them live in the Capital Theatre as good as a punk gig ,then they discovered money could be easily had in musical pop and big cheesy ""we will rock you "" type anthem sounds , with swaying lighter crowds ,then onto the West End drivel.
Did any of the four members of Queen ever write a song with meaningful lyrics? Apart from the sentiments expressed by one of John Deacon's rare forays into songwriting, with '"You're My Best Friend"? I have listened to most of their stuff, post first three albums, and to my ears at least find them probably the most over-rated band of all time. And that is really saying something considering the other bands that could claim that accolade.

By the way, I never did see them live. I was going to go and see them playing Cardiff Castle in September '76, but it pissed down with rain that night. Being in school at the time, I probably decided to save my money for something more worthwhile, which if memory serves me well, was the best live band in the world in those days (sadly I never say Bad Company or Skynyrd at this time). Please step forward Phil Lynott & Co, and the Thin Lizzy 'Johnny The Fox' Tour of October '76