+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johanna Konta - Semi finalist

Johanna Konta - Semi finalist

Great win just now in the 1/4 final

Faces Venus in the semi final.

Re: Johanna Konta - Semi finalist

She'll have to put in a stellar performance to get to the final.

She's had a mercurial rise to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Great win just now in the 1/4 final

Faces Venus in the semi final.
    Only watched snippets of this girl but from what i have seen, she looks to be in with a helluva chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Only watched snippets of this girl but from what i have seen, she looks to be in with a helluva chance.

How can anyone get any patriotic pride in an Australian stealing a British girls place?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    How can anyone get any patriotic pride in an Australian stealing a British girls place?

Can't speak for everyone else but for me it's not about being patriotic, I just like the way she plays the game and handles herself.

I don't even think her parents are Australian are they?

Can't speak for everyone else but for me it's not about being patriotic, I just like the way she plays the game and handles herself.

British parents and lived in the uk since she was 12 but never mind some will always moan about something

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    British parents and lived in the uk since she was 12 but never mind some will always moan about something
    Hungarian parents according to Wikipedia. Became a British citizen in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Bloody immigrants, stealing our tennis rankings.

You're a bundle of laughs fair play. I've just moved to Rhwbina. I ****ing re-""y hope you're not my new neighbor who I haven't met but likes Cardiff according to other neighbour.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    my half bad she's lived in the uk since she was 14 but took citizenship in 2012 as you said. also hungarian parents, lived in the uk for 12 years qualifies her in my book, rugby and athletics have much shorter qualifying periods, also she's not holding back any uk born female talent

my half bad she's lived in the uk since she was 14 but took citizenship in 2012 as you said. also hungarian parents, lived in the uk for 12 years qualifies her in my book, rugby and athletics have much shorter qualifying periods, also she's not holding back any uk born female talent

I'm sure Rhiw-Blue comment was tongue-in-cheek though Shirley, with reference to a certain Welsh football player?

I'm sure Rhiw-Blue comment was tongue-in-cheek though Shirley, with reference to a certain Welsh football player?
    Grangetown in 3 2 1....

Moved from Australia initially to Barcelona, trained there before moving to Britain.

Colour me surprised but the same year she became British she received funding from LTA.

The decision to become British was purely for financial reasons - it was every bit as farcical as Zola Budd getting a passport of convenience.

She became a UK citizen. You might acknowledge that she has Australian (and Hungarian) in her too but she's British. I appreciate it might be easier to accept if she had come to the UK before she was 10, and harder to accept if she had done it having already played for Australia in the Davis Cup for example. I.e. there's s Slovenian Brit who is far harder to accept, and not because he's nowhere near as good.

Regardless of that point, which UK women's place is she stealing? I realise it matters little for the nationality question but there really is a lack of depth in UK tennis talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Grangetown in 3 2 1....

She represented Austrailia up until 2012 can you imagine Gareth Bale switching to england at the next world cup its not right, but the strawberries and cream crew are so so desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    She became a UK citizen. You might acknowledge that she has Australian (and Hungarian) in her too but she's British. I appreciate it might be easier to accept if she had come to the UK before she was 10, and harder to accept if she had done it having already played for Australia in the Davis Cup for example. I.e. there's s Slovenian Brit who is far harder to accept, and not because he's nowhere near as good.

Regardless of that point, which UK women's place is she stealing? I realise it matters little for the nationality question but there really is a lack of depth in UK tennis talent.
    Again, she became British 2012. She received direct funding from LTA in... 2012.

It's clear her family moving to Britain was due to the financial benefits for her career - so technically that was funding not going to a British native. Would someone else receiving that money have performed the same? We'll never know.

What is clear is the changing of nationality was nothing more than a cynical career move on the part of the family.

It was wrong when Zola Budd did it, it's equally as wrong now.

Some serious whooshing going on here

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Again, she became British 2012. She received direct funding from LTA in... 2012.

It's clear her family moving to Britain was due to the financial benefits for her career - so technically that was funding not going to a British native. Would someone else receiving that money have performed the same? We'll never know.

What is clear is the changing of nationality was nothing more than a cynical career move on the part of the family.

It was wrong when Zola Budd did it, it's equally as wrong now.
    Good for Johanna, she's now minted. If the LTA were prepared to support her then that's their problem, not Konta's.

If it gets British kids in to tennis then that will be great and a worthwhile investment by the LTA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Good for Johanna, she's now minted. If the LTA were prepared to support her then that's their problem, not Konta's.

If it gets British kids in to tennis then that will be great and a worthwhile investment by the LTA
    I agree it's the LTA's fault as well.

It may or may not get British kids into tennis, female sport sadly generally isn't as popular, but it still sends those kids the message that even if they show promise, if there's someone overseas that is seen to be better....

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Some serious whooshing going on here

Don't really care about nationality.
    All I know is that another screamer-grunter is out of Wimbledon