+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Satire?

Re: Satire?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    is he in prison for his racist views or is he in prison for making a threat of violence?

He is perfectly entitled to hold his racist views and to make them known publicly - that is freedom of speech. In that respect his views cannot and should not be brought into the equation when considering whether his comments were equal to or worse than Jonny Depp.

If you strip away the bigoted element of his comments then there is stark similarity between what has happened here and what Depp said at Glastonbury. This in itself is a worrying because it manifest itself as a society that allows threats of violence to go unpunished if there exists a given context or situation whereby those advocating such methods or threats can use the rational person argument to hide behind.
    Not sure that is the law to be honest, i am no expert but there are limitation to what you can say defiantly. Whilst I'm no advocate of a countries justice system it seems he over stepped the mark, hence the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Libel isn't a criminal offence. Tiss's comment was well made and you didn't really address what was written.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_libel

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Libel is, 99.99% of the time in England and Wales, a civil matter not a criminal one. So your point is badly made and ill-founded. And holding racist views is not illegal, thank god. We are all racist to some extent or other, no matter how much we signal our virtue. Racial discrimination is illegal. Racism can be an aggravating factor in other crimes, such as assault. A "hate incident" can become a "hate crime".

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...nd-hate-crime/

I guess some people on here want racism to be classified as a thought crime too.