+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has signed!

Re: Tomlin has signed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    A couple of things strike me with this "final signing"

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    2. The pressure is on Warnock to turn a trick on all signings due to budget
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

Never mind as most people seem to say recently in Warnock we trust!!
    Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.

Weve got at least 2 options in every position now

GK Camp, Ethridge, Murphy

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards
    CB - Morrison, Manga, Bamba, Conolly

CM - Gunnarson, Ralls, Damour, Halford,

AM / Wingers - Tomlin, Hoilett, K. Harris, Mendez Laing, Pilkington, M.Harris.

Forwards - Big Ken, Ward, Saadi, Healey,

Several players in all areas of the field can cover a number of positions.

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans. Obviousl if Pilkington and Saadi are moved on I think we would need to bring replacements in or those positions as they are a little threadbare.

Being picky id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    "I want to get back to the Premier League and I feel I can do that here"

Ouch! Poor old jurrsey.
    Didn't fancy waiting another 3 years for European Football imo

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.
    This is a very good signing.I would have loved Reading getting Tomlin in to replace Danny Williams. He will score his fair share of goals. Warnock is canny and knows what he is doing. This looks like a very good bit of business.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans.

Being greedy id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.
    That's a pretty good squad. I think a few will leave, the ones you've left out plus Pilkington. Maybe we will sell Morrison, he's only got a year left on his contract. We'd still have Manga, Bamba and Connolly with peltier who could step in too. Mind you if we sell ZOhore we are stuffed. I just hope he plays like he did 2nd half last season, for the whole of the coming season. if so we would definitely get £20m for him. Man City are supposedly paying £50m for a full back!!

I've heard that the wurzels let Tomlin go because of a personality clash with Lee Johnson, but also that he was a bad influence in the dressing room - well, some of his former team mates are wishing him all the best at Cardiff.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/f...c-david-198069

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    A you say budget ,and I would add in FFP , and plan B .

I think he got part of the budget for signings and part to keep others such as Manga and Gunnerson ,and ?? .

Your not going to get much for 2.9 million anyway , so why not take a punt on a known entity in this league after failing on the two Scottish lads ,who may well flop .

This puts pressure on Warnock ,not Zohore.

Warnock is a proven experienced football man , a motivator, no fool or naive , so its not a case of in Warnock we trust its in Warnock what we know, surly ? one could argue he's streets ahead of our recent batch of managers .

What if the budget spend is 2 fold now and in January when we need a push ,keeping something for another day is something I would do ?

What if we now see season long loan moves in ?

I do know we won't go down ,we play in blue ,we are funded to an extent ,under FFP , the owner has kept faith , the mangers has enthusiasm, and I get to go down and support the team I love .

Happy days
    That last bit is the key for me - I am with you - within budget, in blue and it a bit of pashun around the place!!

What's Jurssets twitter? Has he said anything?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Let's be honest his term "final signing" left himself quite a lot of scope. He added unless players leave or someone comes available!

I would like to see us invest in a cheap version of Tomlin as well to give us a bit of competition in that area, however Ward and Hoilett can slot in there if needs must.

You can't ask Warnock to sign more players on the basis that "Ward is not tested for us"

Surely that will go for any player we sign unless we re-sign Whittingham or Chopra etc!

Yes clumsy wording from me in terms of Ward but it was the overall feel that the excitement with the signings just isn't there with me as yet and not because we haven't signed big money signings as I would rather we were managed financially sound rather than Malky/Ole type approaches

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    "I want to get back to the Premier League and I feel I can do that here"

Ouch! Poor old jurrsey.
    Jursset was on here last week claiming that Warnock only signs long-ball merchants on freebies. Next minute he signs their most creative player for £2m.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I would be quite happy if Pilkington, noone and john went and they weren't replaced like for like - would still like another striker though and overall happy that through slade and now Warnock we are shopping and spending within our means

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Yes clumsy wording from me in terms of Ward but it was the overall feel that the excitement with the signings just isn't there with me as yet and not because we haven't signed big money signings as I would rather we were managed financially sound rather than Malky/Ole type approaches
    No problem mate.

I know we all see football differently but i have read from quite a lot of posters i respect that they are basically underwhelmed by our transfer activity but i fail to understand this.

As J R Hartley said in his post above we have a very competitive squad now.

We have true competition for places in every position on the field. When was the last time we could say that?

We have bags of pace throughout the team.

We have leaders in Morrison, Bamba, Gunnarsson, Peltier.

We have height and power at set pieces.

We’ve replaced Whitts dead ball skills with Tomlin and he'll also be able to go past a man and pick out the strikers runs.

We have a good mix of youth and experience.

Danny Ward is a very good player who will compliment Zohore well. He’s an intelligent player with a cute touch as well as an eye for goal.

I know people think Damour is just a squad player but i think he'll be far more than that (time will tell i guess)

Patterson was being touted for a 3million+ move to West Ham before he got injured.

We have 3 goalkeepers now whereas on the eve of last season we had none!

Manga, Hoilett and Harris all signed new contracts which is something i have never witnessed as a Cardiff fan.

Mendez-Laing will keep Hoilett and Harris battling for their places.

The other potential plusses are we dont know what Saadi and Fred can bring to the table.

Kennedy may take his chance.

And finally we have Kenneth Zohore (boom)

I think we'll definitely challenge the play offs

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    And Barrie Jones. Brian Harris played centre back for us too.
    I saw them in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    What! No mention of Ian Gibson - the greatest of the midfielders I have seen in nearly 60 years of following CCFC.
    I can only beg your forgiveness , and that of the the mighty Ian Gibson, I also humbly apologies .

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

Several players in all areas of the field can cover a number of positions.

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans. Obviousl if Pilkington and Saadi are moved on I think we would need to bring replacements in or those positions as they are a little threadbare.

Being picky id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.
    Looking at that squad I doubt that we'll take much part in the Jan transfer window unless of some unforeseen bad luck as regards injuries or suspensions.Its easy to understand the logic of this approach compared to a Jan transfer when you pay over the odds and the choices are not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    No problem mate.

I know we all see football differently but i have read from quite a lot of posters i respect that they are basically underwhelmed by our transfer activity but i fail to understand this.

As J R Hartley said in his post above we have a very competitive squad now.

We have true competition for places in every position on the field. When was the last time we could say that?

We have bags of pace throughout the team.

We have leaders in Morrison, Bamba, Gunnarsson, Peltier.

We have height and power at set pieces.

We’ve replaced Whitts dead ball skills with Tomlin and he'll also be able to go past a man and pick out the strikers runs.

We have a good mix of youth and experience.

Danny Ward is a very good player who will compliment Zohore well. He’s an intelligent player with a cute touch as well as an eye for goal.

I know people think Damour is just a squad player but i think he'll be far more than that (time will tell i guess)

Patterson was being touted for a 3million+ move to West Ham before he got injured.

We have 3 goalkeepers now whereas on the eve of last season we had none!

Manga, Hoilett and Harris all signed new contracts which is something i have never witnessed as a Cardiff fan.

Mendez-Laing will keep Hoilett and Harris battling for their places.

The other potential plusses are we dont know what Saadi and Fred can bring to the table.

Kennedy may take his chance.

And finally we have Kenneth Zohore (boom)

I think we'll definitely challenge the play offs
    Very good post we could quite a season in front of us.

I can only beg your forgiveness , and that of the the mighty Ian Gibson, I also humbly apologies .
    You can apologise for leaving out Paul Ramsey too

2 wingers and a forward to one Tomlin is... surprising. I can only presume that Warnock has a plan for one of the strikers here who haven't shown themselves much yet.

Where will he sit in the pantheon's of our great midfielders :

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    What about

John Buchannon
    Willie Anderson
    Gibson
    Spider Sutton

Where will he sit in the pantheon's of our great midfielders :

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    What about

John Buchannon
    Willie Anderson
    Gibson
    Spider Sutton
    And the greatest of them all..... Gavin Rae !

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    That Matt Le Tissier was pretty crap what with his build...
    Hardly a suitable comparison is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Yep , when flattering Russel Slade.
    Nothing to do with an ex manager you half bake.
    LT has had 5 clubs in 5 years and has signed 3 year contracts in each of the last 3 years ......
    We are his latest 3 year meal ticket.
    Hardly the most reliable cv is it?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Nothing to do with an ex manager you half bake.
    LT has had 5 clubs in 5 years and has signed 3 year contracts in each of the last 3 years ......
    We are his latest 3 year meal ticket.
    Hardly the most reliable cv is it?
    Bothroyd had 7 in 8 he turned out just fine

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Bothroyd had 7 in 8 he turned out just fine
    Really??
    For who?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Really??
    For who?
    2000–2003 Coventry City 72 (14)
    2003–2005 Perugia 26 (4)
    2004–2005 → Blackburn Rovers (loan) 11 (1)
    2005–2006 Charlton Athletic 18 (2)
    2006–2008 Wolverhampton Wanderers 55 (12)
    2008 → Stoke City (loan) 4 (0)
    2008–2011 Cardiff City
    thats who