Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
A couple of things strike me with this "final signing"

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
2. The pressure is on Warnock to turn a trick on all signings due to budget
3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

Never mind as most people seem to say recently in Warnock we trust!!
Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.